Surrey Rolling Road

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
PFL969

M roadster S50

Surrey Rolling Road

Post by PFL969 »

I fancy taking the car here to see what, if any, power loss has accumulated over time.

Perhaps if a few of us go we may get a discount, anyone else in?

http://www.surreyrollingroad.co.uk
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Surrey Rolling Road

Post by Southernboy »

You can take poison on it...you have lost ponies over the years..!
One of the best methods of retrieving those lost ponies, is a complete cylinder head re-engineering...valves, seats, guides etc etc. and a professional gas flowing of the ports... and a new set of piston rings and crank bearings with only a "honing" of the piston bores required.
The difference in power is nothing less than phenomenal, and you will be grinning wider than the fat Z3 arse... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
PFL969

M roadster S50

Post by PFL969 »

This goes waaaay further then I anticipated (change oil, filters, spark plugs and leads)! :dunce:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... hahaha.... Z3's don't have "leads".... individual coils on each plug.... :wink:
As far a having the cylinder head re-engineered...I would say it's worth buying a good "used" unit and having it re-built, then after you do the swap over, sell the one out your motor and put it against the cost of the re-built one....The work involved removing the engine is minimal once the cylinder head is off...in fact the cylinder head is the most complex part of the engine by far...the lower half is kinda like the horse, whilst the upper "head" is the jockey...
I re-built an e30 328 some years ago. It was a real "donkey" with an auto box etc... Changed it to manual box, had the head re-engineered, and the rings / bearings replaced... I only did the strip and re-assembly, which is what really costs - "labour"...Once completed, it was good for 230 + kph without much effort, and if you know the e30's, they had great torque... I paid around £400.00 for the donkey, and sold the thoroughbred for 20 times that... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I'm not close unfortunately, but if I had an M I think it would be an interesting exercise. After some new plugs, filters, oil and some injector cleaner - you might be pleasantly surprised. :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I use injector system cleaner fairly frequently...the rest, plugs oil changes etc. etc I do 3 times a year... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

I just bumped this thread with an update on suppliers, highly recommend this stuff:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=39052
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
PFL969

M roadster S50

Post by PFL969 »

Yeha I'm pretty keen to get it on the dyno in the state its in now and then after its had a service. I can feel the difference in the car already from having it off the road to putting through two tanks of Shell Nitro through it.

I think it would be a good experiment. :)
PFL969

M roadster S50

Post by PFL969 »

Alan - thanks for the link. Is the fuel additive similar to Redex?
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

I would be up for that Fez.

What about the new kit some garages are stocking where they connect to your fuel rail remove the fuel pump fuse and run a cleaner through your engine .(As seen in wheeler dealers)

Aparently this is another good way to clean and get ponies back 8-)

Unless someone knows better that would be my first port of call after i have dyno'ed. (My only concern being what effect would this have on our older engine with things like stem seals???)

Joycey
PFL969

M roadster S50

Post by PFL969 »

Joycey - I have no idea (obviously) what a stem seal is. Every time I read your post I think of 'stem cell' and whether my car can be cloned from a shard of metal - this is what happens when you look at graphs all day. Luckily, Broadmoor is not far. :roll:
PFL969

M roadster S50

Post by PFL969 »

Ok - I've just spoken to the chap at Surrey Rolling Road to organise a discount and get bit more info.

The standard price for the service "Power Run" is £50.00. The number of runs is dependent on the state of the car so can be between 1-4 runs.

If there are 2-10 cars the price falls to £40 / car. For 11 + cars the price is £35 / car. He's going to call me back in two weeks as they are in the process of moving - booking would be on a weekend and would be from May 2014.

The new premises will be in Farnborough (Hants).

So far it looks like me and Joycey. If interested (there's still a wee while to mull it over), please add your name. Don't be shy, this is not intended to be a C**% swinging contest but just a means to benchmark where our cars are at.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I would be interested by Farnborough is a little far
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

I should have my car back later this week or early next week. It would be interesting to see what power I've got from a complete rebuild.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
PFL969

M roadster S50

Post by PFL969 »

How log did the rebuild take? Did you manage to end paying the price that was originally quoted? Will you have to treat the engine as new i.e. run it in again?
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

It would be interesting to see a before and after dyno with a service, injector cleaner and new plugs ;)

Standard S50s will achieve around 300-310 bhp

Then with tuning ie air filter, exhaust and remap your looking at 320-325

Then add upgraded cams and remap your looking around 340bhp
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

PFL969 wrote:How log did the rebuild take? Did you manage to end paying the price that was originally quoted? Will you have to treat the engine as new i.e. run it in again?
End quote of there abouts of £3600 and that's minus the crank, new oil pump, ARP conrod bolts and a few other items. I'll be running it in as new as all the rings, conrod, main bearings are new. It's had at least the bores rehoned maybe rebored, new chain and tensioners.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage