ACS splitters fitting

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

ACS splitters fitting

Post by Topperz »

Hi all

Just had my acs splitter/flippers arrive

Offered them up and the fit perfect

So now .....do I paint them cosmos black to match the bumper/ spoiler

Had a price for carbon wrap on just the exposed parts which are visible...£150 ish

Or do I leave them as they are,the finish is perfect as they are new never used

Also do I bond them on first and use the bolts after for added strength

Any suggestions on what to use for bonding for best results

Thanks in advance
The only bad thing about owning a Z3 is bedtime .......boing!! time for bed said zebedee

Z3 cosmos black individual 2.0

X1 /MSport XDrive 2.0d mineral white
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: ACS splitters fitting

Post by Brian H »

The choice of colour/finish is really up to you, I would personally have them colour coded, they would then be a nice subtle mod.

The bolts will be strong enough to hold them in place, I would not bond them just in case you need to get them off at any point to repaint etc.
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

Good point re removal if required and subtle is what I really want as I do want to keep it as standard looking as possible

The fitting instructions state that they are pre- primed ready for painting so shouldn't take a lot to get them sprayed up

Ps looks like I've sorted Monday for donington Brian

Paul
The only bad thing about owning a Z3 is bedtime .......boing!! time for bed said zebedee

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I might get around to fitting mine at some stage :roll: I was planning on using self tapping screws, as Brian mentioned I wouldn't bond them on as if you damage them you can simply remove them for repair.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

The trouble with self tappers is that they are very prone to vibration, often making them come loose. I got these type of splitters while in the US and intend fitting with self tappers with some 3M double sided tape as an extra buffer to help stop vibrating loose.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

Hi
The fitting kit comes with bolts and locking nuts,the two holes at each end are extended self tappers to replace the original screws in the bottom of the bumper

My thoughts are pop a couple of spots of the bonding silicon on each splitter,let that cure so they are held in place,then drill and bolt

Paul

t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

If you let the silicon cure first you will be trying to squash with bolts later and also silicon is a very powerful adhesive, if you ever need to remove them you may break them before the silicon lets go. The point of doubled sided tape is that although both sides adhere to their halves of the joint the tape has a weak point in the centre which will part before damaging the items that are stuck together. When the joint is parted all you have to do is remove the residue from each half of the joint. I hope that makes sense.

Tony.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

t-tony wrote:If you let the silicon cure first you will be trying to squash with bolts later and also silicon is a very powerful adhesive, if you ever need to remove them you may break them before the silicon lets go. The point of doubled sided tape is that although both sides adhere to their halves of the joint the tape has a weak point in the centre which will part before damaging the items that are stuck together. When the joint is parted all you have to do is remove the residue from each half of the joint. I hope that makes sense.

Tony.
Yes I'm with it,I've had number plates in the past that have been a pita to remove,I was just thinking that you get a little bit of adjustment for perfect fit with the silicon before it cures :roll:

Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

Now fitted many thanks for those who have chipped in with advice...all good

In the end I went down the cosmos black route for finish

Double sided tape and some nice stainless self tappers with the washers provided

I have pics but won't let me load via the ipad as it says the file is tooooo big

Paul

Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

So you were the one that outbid me on the bay :D I will stick to the Rieger front however.

Pics of them fitted would be great!
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

Wolverine_1999 wrote:So you were the one that outbid me on the bay :D I will stick to the Rieger front however.

Pics of them fitted would be great!
Yes it was me :oops:

Struggling with pics still....I do have some tho