Unintended acceleration

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
HighSharpe

Z3 roadster 2.0

Unintended acceleration

Post by HighSharpe »

Hello all

The accelerator has always felt a bit stiff since when i bought the car but i was ok with it as I got used to the weight. However, of late there have been a few occasions of the accel staying down even after i take off my foot, and returning very slowly back to the 'up' state. I guess the most likely culprit on the manual 2.0 without cruise control is the throttle cable? I have been having a read around, and it does seem to be a reasonably easy replacement that improves the throttle response. I'd like to order it, but can't find the part number .. could any one kindly help?
Hopefully it's just a cable issue and not anything more critical.

-hs
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Unintended acceleration

Post by Southernboy »

Have you a VIN #....I'll check it for you.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... NO PROBLEM -PART # 35 41 2228 373
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Assume you have a cable - some of the last Z3s were "fly by wire".
I had this on my 1998 1.9. Trickled a bit of WD40 into the cable end and used the old trick if blowing it along the cable. However, the main culprit were the butterly valves in the throttle body. My 1.9 has two (assume similar across range except the M). The smaller valve had a small amount of "gunge" around the perimeter which was causing it to slick slightly. Good clean with some Johnson baby buds :D and carb cleaner and all was perfect. :D
frog farmer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by frog farmer »

Check to see if your floor mat is still fastened down.............
HighSharpe

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by HighSharpe »

Super.. thank you all . Will try some of the home remedies and see where to source the cable from. Will keep you up.
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

Ive just ordered a throttle cable for my 2litre z3 , from main dealer Coopers in Norwich. Total cost just under £30 including posting to me as they didnt have it in stock (the postage was free). Very good service from them and had a good look round at all the shiny new cars there.