Automatic steptronic transmission....

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
maurice

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Automatic steptronic transmission....

Post by maurice »

... could somebody please explain (in simple terms) what this is? I'm looking to replace my old Z3 with a newer one, and this 'auto' option seems quite popular in later model Z's.
TIA
Maurice
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

The older auto transmissions had a shift lever that read P-R-N-D-3-2-1 (I think). For normal auto driving you stuck it in 'D'. If you wanted to override the gear manually you could stick it in 3, 2 or 1.

The newer Steptronic box has five speeds. You can leave it in auto mode, or use a simple push-pull of the lever to change it manually.

Tim
varboy

Not specified

Post by varboy »

read my posts m8

If you want to drive the car and feel in control then don't bother with steptronic. IMO it s*t. prepare yourself for being in the wrong gear for a corner, crap fuel economy and compromised performance.

I bought one because I spend a lot of my life in traffic, but I end up using it as a manual shift anyway.

IMO AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Malbec

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Malbec »

I have 3.0i sport with steptronic. I prefer automatics and never use the manual option. The auto part of the box is very good, the kick down is excellent. I'm very pleased with it.
Freezed

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Freezed »

Hi Maurice

Just to provide a bit of balance to the subject, I have a 3.0Z with steptronic and I am over the moon with it. Yes the gear changing is different but you soon get used it or switching to auto for effortless driving which I find leaves most stuff behind from the traffic lights.

As for economy I get 24-27mpg knocking around and 27-31mpg when on a serious cruise.

For a more involved cluchless drive perhaps a Z4 with an SMG box is an alternative....but lots of pennies!

Hope this helps.
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Have to say I don't agree with varboy. I like the Z3 auto boxes and never found problems.

Tim
Chris Xoe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Chris Xoe »

Agreed. In the Z4, put it in 'sport' and it rocks. Stand on the brakes from high speed approaching a roundabout and the downshifts do the business.
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

And you can put it into sport mode without pressing the button. Just depress the accelerator pedal *quickly* (rather than just deeply) and it assumes you mean business!

Tim
RobBruce

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by RobBruce »

Zmeagol wrote:Have to say I don't agree with varboy. Tim
Yep, me too. Although I've never driven a Z with steptronic. I've driven 3s and 5s with it and, whilst I prefer manual, the steptronic isn't too bad.

I presume the Z version is the same as the others? Drive, DriveSport and 'manual' mode?

The 'manual' mode does take a bit of getting used to, and doesn't give you the full control of a proper manual box - but it is miles better than just a 'auto only' version.

The diesel 5 series we use at work have the steptronic option, and if used properly are pretty damn fast.

But why are you asking?? Everyone knows REAL drivers only ever use manual gearboxes....................

(Ducks and runs for cover ;) )
In God We Trust - everyone else gets PNC'd.
varboy

Not specified

Post by varboy »

Which part don't people agree with. 1.) the fact that fuel economy decreases 2.) the fact that performance suffers or 3.) the fact the auto is crap??

each to their own, but I believe that a true 'drivers' car (whatever that means) should have a slick manual 'box or at least a good semi auto.

Since when have you seen an auto box in a race car? OK you might have seen a semi auto but that's ok because that allows a degree of manual control.

I don't pretend to be a purist, but I am a bit of a petrol head and like to make my own decisions of what gear I am in for the corner.

The manual option on the 'box is better than the auto version but is slow to change up and down (compartively). My car is in manual mode virtually all the time.

It may help if gears 4 & 5 weren't so long in comparison to 3rd.

To substantiate:

I haven't taken it to the red line in 4th, but I have got over 110 (Km/h officer :P ) and IMO for a car of sporting pretentions and this capacity it should be begging for a change up.

The SMG box may be a whole lot better, I don't know.
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

Yep steptronic is ok, no problems, not slow to change gear in fact its probably faster than a manual, My petrol consumption on a run is 27mpg+
I dont bother checking around town and in auto as the others have said plant the boot it drops 2 cogs leaves the rest behind, but if you like to play around with knobs, well, each to his own!!!
Lorraine

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Lorraine »

I've never had any trouble keeping up with the manuals on cruises, once you get used to it and know how to use it you are eating up the road along with the rest of them. Personally I manually shift quite often, especially when I am feeling frisky, but it is nice to leave it in auto in traffic. I find the steptronic transmission in my 3.0 to be very responsive, and once the transmission has figured out that you are "in one of those moods" its phenominal.
Cheers,
Lorraine
Z3 3.0 :D
Freezed

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Freezed »

Don't F1cars have auto boxes?
RobBruce

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by RobBruce »

Freezed wrote:Don't F1cars have auto boxes?
No.

SMG - sequential manual gearboxes. Like the Ferraris and Astons do.
In God We Trust - everyone else gets PNC'd.
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

varboy wrote:Which part don't people agree with. 1.) the fact that fuel economy decreases 2.) the fact that performance suffers or 3.) the fact the auto is crap??
All of them.
1) Since the days of the 'slush box', fuel economy has increased dramatically with technology. Final drive is now a lock-up. In certain (OK, rare) circumstances fuel economy can actually be slightly better as the auto box upshifts when a driver with a manual can't be bothered.
2) Hard to tell the difference. In side-by-side performance tests, my Z3 2.8 auto--later model with dual VANOS--was equivalent to the slightly older 2.8 manual with single VANOS, so in my experience the difference is extremely marginal.
3) difficult to know what you mean.
I believe that a true 'drivers' car (whatever that means) should have a slick manual 'box or at least a good semi auto.
So why did you buy an auto?
Since when have you seen an auto box in a race car? OK you might have seen a semi auto but that's ok because that allows a degree of manual control.
What's a semi-auto? If you mean SMG, that's a clutchless manual.
I don't pretend to be a purist, but I am a bit of a petrol head and like to make my own decisions of what gear I am in for the corner.
As above: why did you buy an auto then?
The manual option on the 'box is better than the auto version but is slow to change up and down (comparatively). My car is in manual mode virtually all the time.
Yes, but unlike a manual you can continue to apply power during the upchange.
It may help if gears 4 & 5 weren't so long in comparison to 3rd.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but with the move to Steptronic I understood the gearing on auto and manual Z3 models was the same.
To substantiate: I haven't taken it to the red line in 4th, but I have got over 110 (Km/h officer :P ) and IMO for a car of sporting pretentions and this capacity it should be begging for a change up.
I don't understand. You haven't reached red line yet you feel it should be upshifting??

This is a four-speed auto in action
The SMG box may be a whole lot better, I don't know.
Not a direct comparison. My Z4 SMG has an 'auto' mode but it's still a clutchless manual. The SMG component is a bolt-on to the normal gearbox with a electro-hydraulic clutch (rather than the torque converter deployed on auto boxes).

Tim
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

varboy wrote:read my posts m8
varboy - I wonder if your driving is as aggresive as your posting :shock:

I realise SMG is not quite the same system but I'm wondering why BMW decided to put SMG with auto option in the CSL, new M5 and M6 - I think they are what you'd call 'drivers' cars :?:

Speaking from experience, it's rather good in the CSL.
Last edited by Giles on Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:03, edited 2 times in total.
Larri
Z Register member

Not specified

Post by Larri »

Giles wrote: I'm wondering why BMW decided to put SMG with auto option in the CSL, M5 and M6 - the range's top 'drivers' cars :?:
Maybe it's because they actually know what they are on about........... teehee :twisted: :devil:
Larri ......Va Va Vrooooom!
Danger - Blonde with Attitude, light blue touch paper.......and remove yourself from area - sharpish
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Varboy I sympathise to some extent.
You are thoroughly disgruntled with your auto & it shows in your posting.
I was disgruntled with the scuttle shake & tramlining in my 1st Z3.
I expressed that here in a bad frame of mind due to sheer disgruntlement & got a bit of a pasting for it :oops: :P
You gotta be careful what you say about Z's here.
This is not the place to flush your frustration out of your system
Or get the hump about your car
Best thing is change your car & tread carefully.

Now who was it said Pheonix is better than Estoril ?Image
Estoril's best Image No Pheonix is best
:lol:
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

[Off topic sorry]

Robin - have you discovered some new source of Smileys or something :?: :?:

John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

Tim,
Was it really wise to be doing 140MPH on an obviously Foggy Day! :twisted:
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Giles Image
It's Stu's fault... he put me onto them.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
maurice

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Thanks for all the replies....

Post by maurice »

...and glad I got some discussion going :wink:

Maurice (still looking for a black, low mileage, 2002, 2.2i sport)
risquenun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by risquenun »

When looking for my car I was open minded about manual or auto as my previous Merc was auto and I also have a 1996 E34 520i which is auto.
I have to say that in a 2 seater sports car I think I prefer the manual box - especially as even in traffic you hardly need to change gear because of the light body weight and terrific torque.
I really think it is down to horse for courses - I certainly wouldn't discount an auto if I were looking to change and the right car came along. :lol: :lol:
This Orinoco doesn't Womble.