M52TU Manifold conversion

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
ryang

Z3 roadster 2.8

M52TU Manifold conversion

Post by ryang »

Will a 330i inlet manifold bolt straight onto my facelift 1999 2.8 z3? Has anybody done this and what sort of gains can I expect?

Cheers
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Haven't heard of this one, but the older 2.5 inlet manifold works a treat. Ask Top Fuel King!
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Funny you should ask this question as I've been doing some research on this after reading in a magazine that BMW may have fitted a larger inlet manifold to the 2.5 M52TU engine, which could be why it puts out 192bhp almost what a 2.8 does.

So checking part numbers my TIS disc I came up with the fact that the inlet manifold is the same on all 6cyl engines except the 2.2 and 2.5 which is a different part number. Whether it is a larger bore I don't know im trying to track one down.

While I was at it I checked part numbers on other induction parts ie throttle body, air sensor, exhaust manifold and there all the same on the Z range anyway.

Steve 8-)
99 2.0 Topaz Individual

3 Litre Inlet Manifold

Post by Guest »

I have been thinking of this conversion for a couple of years, and will give it a try this winter.

My ETK shows that the E46 range 2.0, 2.3 and 2.8 engines (and the 2.8 Z3) use one manifold, while the E46 2.5 and 3.0 engines use a different item.

I asked alpina527 about fitting the M50 2.5 manifold (as on the E30 325i etc) which is a very popular mod to the single-VANOS 2.8, but it seems the different position of the throttle body etc fouls the underbonnet layout of a Sept 98-onwards double-VANOS model.

I have never examined the E46 2.5 engine, but the manifold used on the 3 litre Zed and 330 slaoon etc are obvioulsy of the correct larger bore type, and the underbonnet layout of the 3 litre Zed looks to be the same as mine.

Getting hold of a used manifold seems impossible, so I will probably buy a new one, which even at £300 is cheap power. The DISA valve in the centre of the manifold looks different, and I may have to buy a new one if the original is too small.

I'm currently finishing the suspension modds, which wil lbe followed by a summer's driving in the French Alps, so will give it a go this winter, and report back!
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Mike, did you ever get round to doing this?
wwwwOOOff!!!

Manifold

Post by Guest »

Not yet, I'm afraid - too many other calls on money and time, but soon!
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Well, can't help with the time, but we really should have set up a Z3 R&D fund a long time ago!!!

Let us know how you get on with this :) I've always found it extremely weird that the 2.8 is a whole 40 ponies less than the 3.0 considering the small difference in engine capacity.

I imagine that a larger manifold coupled with a good remap would take the 2.8 very close to the 3.0 in terms of power.

-edit-
What about the throttle though? The M52TU has a hybrid cable/electronic throttle system, where as the M54 has a fully electronic throttle system (no cable).

--edit 2--
I found this on e46fanatics:

The M54 (325/330) mani will bolt right on to the m52tu. You WILL need to fabricate a TB adapter plate, and I believe you'll need the DISA to go with the mani you purchase. I know for a fact the 330 disa is larger, but I'm not 100% if the 325 and 328 use the same one. Everything else should bolt right up, including the fuel rail.
Also in the same thread, it is mentioned that the 325 and 330 have different throttle bodies (330 is larger):
The 325 TB measures 70mm c/c and the 330 measures 76mm c/c.
What's the size of the 2.8 M52 TB then?

The thread I was reading is HERE
wwwwOOOff!!!
Mikemac

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mikemac »

I was gutted when I found out I couldnt do this mod. And it does annoy me that the 2.5 boys are at the same power as my 2.8 when having this mod. You would think the 2.8 could be easily taken up to the power of the 3.0. DAM YOU DOUBLE VANOS!!

Also -

Post by Guest »

The 3 litre engine also has different inlet valves and inlet camshaft, which must help a bit. They may be the same as the S52 engine, but my ETK does not cover US market cars. Any ideas?
ChrisXL

M roadster S50

Post by ChrisXL »

As far as I am aware of the only way to do this type of upgrade is with the Alpina B3 manifold. Try to get hold of a secondhand one or try these guys down under: http://www.alpinaaustralia.com.au/main.htm
Member of Team Lauterbrunnen
http://www.fnbc.nl/
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

i just fitted the manifold & BBTB kit to my 2.8 (single vanos) m52TU

Turned out my car was only a few months before they switched to dual vanos.

I bought the kit from Ian and he has been a godsend in help. I had one small issue that turned out was because of an air pipe that the garage knackered up. other then that the car runs sweat as a nut.

Ian said to give it a week to let the car settle down and adjust to it all. I would say that its a great mod. it wasnt until i started to compare it to stats from before that i really noticed the difference.

The throttle response and bottom end torque is alot better. I can now still go with the flow of traffic to work and still be overtaking yet hardly pulling revs. yet if you want to open it up then it really goes. By driving sensible i even noticed better fuel economy...yet if you do boot it, it will drop.

Ian was right in saying that it would take a week and you would notice it get better every day....I thought "yeah ok the ecu etc will do it right away" he was right.

I would say that if you can have this done...GET IT DONE......I'm converted. just want a rolling road session now to see what it has done.
Mikemac

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mikemac »

Why isnt my 2.8 Single Vanos!!!!! :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Anyone had any progress for us poor twin vanos people?
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Mikemac wrote:Why isnt my 2.8 Single Vanos!!!!! :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

What's up with it? It's better than the single vanos with this inlet conversion IMO, my 1999 2.8 Z3 was very quick.

My brother had a E36 328i Sport with the single vanos engine and he did the 325i manifold conversion, it was better but it still didn't pull at high revs as well as the double vanos engine in the Z3, in fact I would say it goes largely breathless over 5500rpm.
AndyBass
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by AndyBass »

I agree. My 3.0 is noticeably more urgent at the top end of the revs than my 2.8 was.
We all have a photographic memory, just some don't take the lens cap off!
Mikemac

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mikemac »

I agree. My 3.0 is noticeably more urgent at the top end of the revs than my 2.8 was
Really? That does surprise me. I have not driven a 3.0 or single Vanos beemer so cant comment on the difference.

Just out of interest, what is the 0-60 and top speed on a 3.0? Does the 35 odd extra bhp make it that much quicker that the 2.8 Double?
Rubber-Ducky

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rubber-Ducky »

Mikemac wrote:Why isnt my 2.8 Single Vanos!!!!! :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Enough sobbing - I believe it can be done with the following:

1) M54 325 manifold (with DISA) - I ordered a 2nd hand one today from the Parts Gateway for £68.

2) Throttle Body adapter plate http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/de ... TEN9990850 available in the UK from Simpson Motorsport on 01594 841299.

Hopefully this will all bolt together - I'll keep you posted when it all arrives...
benelvin

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by benelvin »

awesome! let us know how it goes ;)
Mikemac

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mikemac »

Any progress on these mods guys??
Mikemac

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mikemac »

Any progress on these mods guys??
Rubber-Ducky

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rubber-Ducky »

All the bits are sitting in my garage at the moment - the adapter plate took several weeks to come through from the states (it cost me £36 in the end).

I, however, am out of the country until May sometime...
Rubber-Ducky

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rubber-Ducky »

Finally got round to fitting this over the weekend and the difference is quite pronounced. The engine pulls hard all the way to the red line, no longer running out of puff at higher revs like before.

Fitting is fiddly, but not overly difficult. I guess it took me a total of about 5-6 hours. Except for the throttle body, the M54b25 manifold is a straight swap for the M52TU manifold.

The basic removal process is:

1) Remove airbox, MAF sensor and inlet piping.
2) Remove DISA, throttle body and idle control valve.
3) Unbolt fuel rail (4 x 10mm bolts) and pull it out with the injectors still attached.
4) Unbolt manifold (9 x 11mm nuts and 1 x 16mm nut under the throttle body).
5) Undo the various breather hoses in order to free the manifold from the engine.

Fitting the TB to the M54 manifold is a bit of a pain. I used the Turner Motorsport adapter plate, but I couldn't get the M52 TB to fit with it so I had to grind part of the TB down and mount it using only 2 diagonal bolts, keeping it orientated the same way as before. This provided sufficient clearance for the idle control valve.

You can see how much bigger the M54 manifold is compared to the M52TU one:

Here's the two DISAs (M52TU on the left, M54 on the right):

The halfway point:

M54 manifold with Turner Motorsports adapter plate fitted:

Throttle body with the corner ground down to provide sufficient clearance for the idle control valve:

Other than the mounting of the TB, fitting is the reverse of removal. I had to adjust the throttle cable slightly, but that only took a couple of minutes.

I'm really pleased with the results for 100 odd quid and imagine it will only get better as the ECU recalibrates itself over the next few outings.

Next step is a remap, I guess...
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Thanks for that Tom, excellent write up and useful for me.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
bite me

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bite me »

i would like to change the exhaust manifold just not looking for all the effort which seems inlcuded in this,

as for the power output the 328 has significantly more torque than the 325 the reasoning for the limit is regulations in germany mean producing cars over 194 bhp cause a significant tax increase which is why they are limited and hence the large jump to the 3.0....
MtechTone

BMW other

Post by MtechTone »

Has anyone else actually done this conversion on their M52TU?

I'm also wondering if the M54B30 has even larger ports on the manifold to allow even more airflow...?
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

MtechTone wrote:Has anyone else actually done this conversion on their M52TU?
Did you not read the whole thread? Like three posts above yours? :dunce:
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
MtechTone

BMW other

Post by MtechTone »

estocks wrote:
MtechTone wrote:Has anyone else actually done this conversion on their M52TU?
Did you not read the whole thread? Like three posts above yours? :dunce:
Yea yea i know... but howcome it seems nobody else has bothered?

Reason I'm asking is I'm considering a 2.8 Z3 and would very much like to do the above, or similar. Would just be nice to hear some more feedback...?

:)
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

It's a pretty well known conversion to improve on E36's. I don't think more than a few have done it here, but I think many have been don on the larger BMW forums. Rmember that the 2.8 was available in M52 and M52TU in the Z3, and there may be a difference in this conversion for that. :) :wink:
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
MtechTone

BMW other

Post by MtechTone »

estocks wrote:It's a pretty well known conversion to improve on E36's. I don't think more than a few have done it here, but I think many have been don on the larger BMW forums. Rmember that the 2.8 was available in M52 and M52TU in the Z3, and there may be a difference in this conversion for that. :) :wink:
Yea the M50 manifold makes quite a difference to the M52, I know as I have an M52B28 with this mod in my compact.

The stock M52 feels quite strangled in the higher revs. I don't know how the TU feels in comparison as I haven't driven one yet.

So if an M54B25 manifold on an M52TU has that much of an affect... that's good!

But, I'd still be keen to investigate whether the B30's manifold ports are even larger. Although, of course if the B25's manifold ports perfectly match the inlet ports on the head of the TU then going larger would be pointless, if not detrimental. If ya follow?
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Got it. Although from what I read the standard 6 pot manifold was midifeied to make the 325 faster than a competitor, rather than the manifold getting better as cc increased.
MtechTone

BMW other

Post by MtechTone »

Hmm interesting...

The B25 and B30 do have different manifolds, iirc part number is different on realoem. Port size may not be the difference, it could be one of a million things that makes them different.

Wish I had all these parts infront of me :lol: I guess I'll have to do some more digging...