Business CD with an iPOD or CD Changer - It can be done!

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
siwilson

M roadster S54

Business CD with an iPOD or CD Changer - It can be done!

Post by siwilson »

Siwilson

Further in my quest to have all the toys AND keep a stock look I have been on a quest to improve the sound in my Z. Hopefully my 'research will benefit others.

One of the issues Z3 owners suffer from is the fact that the Z3 is based on the older 3 series E36 technology. This is particularly obvious in the audio department. Anyone wanting to add an aftermarket CD changer or AUX input or iPod connection will hit this problem. Nearly all the aftermarket AUX, Changer or iPod adapters for BMW are made for vehicles with connectors that look like this

The issue:

The standard RDS Radio / Cassette tape unit in Z3 connects to the CD changer using a modified Alpine protocol. If you want to fit a changer in a Z3 you typically need to find a "CD Changer A" on eBay. The BMW part number for this is 65 12 360 284.

The BMW Business CD is based on newer technology, so it’s not compatible with the CD Changer A. The Business CD uses a BMW protocol called iBus. This means you need a different changer and a different cable. The cable is BMW part number 65 12 8 369 853. The CD Changer AI that goes with this is part number 65 12 8 364 931. According to my sources, the CD Changer AI was never fitted to any Z3s in Europe, but was fitted to E46 3 series, E39 5 series and others. They are also a lot more common on eBay. What may be an issue is the 3 pin power / iBus connector. My 2001 ///M Roadster has this, but I am not sure what others do. If this is missing then getting a CD changer AI to work in the boot will be a more difficult task.

The best news about the Business CD supporting iBus is that it opens up a world of opportunities for AUX input adaptors and iPod connectors. To fit an AUX input of iPod adaptor you first need a cable to give you the 3 and 6 pin connectors. From another post on this board I discovered that Soundlinx make a cable that does this.
The Soundlinx part number is FWG506. You can buy direct form Soundlinx at http://www.soundlinx.co.uk/ProductFinder/default.asp or from Auto-Connect at http://www.auto-connect.co.uk/acatalog/BMW.html I got mine from Auto-Connect for about £15. The cable isn’t long enough to reach the boot, but is long enough if you want to fit an AUX input or iPOD. You can also use it to connect to a CD Changer interface adapter that allows a 3rd party CD Changer to work with the BMW head unit. There are a number of these, BMW01AUX, BMW01ALP, BMW02PIO, on the Auto-Connect web site.

My interest was in an iPod adapter that allows control of the iPod form the BMW head unit and a display of the song/artist on the head unit. While I was out in the US a few weeks back I picked up a Dice iPod integration kit - http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm This works really well, but there are others such as the Dension Ice Link, Connects2 iPod adapter and Monster iCruze. I’ll post some pictures of my head unit when I get a chance.

I would point out that all this is much more effort than it is worth unless you are stuck on keeping the Business CD head unit. It is far cheaper to get an aftermarket head unit with a dedicated iPod kit.

Simon
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed 08 Apr, 2009 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
///M Breadvan

M coupe S52

Post by ///M Breadvan »

Hi Si, Have been mulling over the same problem myself. I have the BMW Business Tape deck with HK upgrade.

I have decided to go for a new headunit by Becker (look very similar to the stock look). They are very plane with the option of the red illumiation which should fit in well. The facia of the unit is just black like the stock unit. Your ipod can be controlled using the headunit to search thro' artist, song, playlist etc. and displays the song and artist etc on headunit. This cost about £270 with the option of the bluetooth enabled unit (for phone) at about £300 (7992-Red). Good value from a top manufacturer. (Becker are OEM in most new porkers, landy's etc.)

Certainly worth a look if you want to keep the std look.

I also looked at the HK drive and Play unit but did not want any additional screens to clutter up the dash.

hope this helps
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I've got a Becker Mexico in mine with Red illumination looks great and OE which is just what I wanted (its not fantastic sound quality IMO though). Red also matches best; I originally had a yellow illumination model but it didn't look right at all.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Edit by Pingu: IGNORE THIS POST. I've been told by BMW that none of the E46s have an MP3 capability, but the new 3 Series (E90 & E91) do.

Simon,

Something to consider. If you base your conversion on a newer E46, the CD changer will play MP3s as well.

Date changes according to RealOEM...

(they are all AI)

Upto 03/2001...............651 269 089 50
03/2001 to 09/2005.....651 269 450 21
From 09/2005...............651 269 605 14 (left hand drive only)

I suspect the one you want is the middle one, but I wouldn't trust the dates too much, as alot of CD changers are fitted aftermarket, and the $tealers will fit anything in the hole that will do the job. My car has a build date of 08/2001, but doesn't have the MP3 capability. The date change of the head units is 09/2001 (same date as the facelift date change), so any facelifted E46 should be capable of playing MP3s. If you can get the full system from a scrap facelifted E46 you should be in business.

As my CD changer was fitted aftermarket, I think mine is the either the earliest version of the CD changer, or the early head units couldn't play MP3s.
Last edited by pingu on Fri 03 Nov, 2006 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Pingu

Post by Guest »

I actually installed the iPod adapter by Dice Electronics. It works really well and displays text such as artist name and song title on the BMW head unit. The Dice also has an AUX input.

One other thing I have found is that the BMW version of the Becker Traffic Pro is actually iBus capable, so will work with the standard BMW iBUS changers. Very tempting if you can find one.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Becker still refuse to commit to DAB though :-(
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
matchy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Dab

Post by matchy »

DAB ?.. Don't Like it ! Compressed audio , low bit rate , FM's the one for me ! :wink: Actually DAB does not seem to be suitable for car audio .
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

So, to clarify then, am I correct in assuming that you can't get an Ipod to work with the BMW Business tape unit? I was hoping to do this as I would like to keep the standard look however it seems like I might have to get hold of a BMW Business CD unit and the kit mentioned in this thread :head:
Antoninus

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Ipod with a casstte bus radio!

Post by Antoninus »

Simply to let you guys now know, that you can use an ipod itrip legally .!!!! No two years in the nik for listening to celine dion in the Zed.

I've been using mine for a while now, and pending where you live (i'm in London) the reception can effect. 88.3fm seems to work fine for me as the unit is a little older than some newer models. And close to the Aerial.

After watching the Gadget Show the other week. They recommended teh Itrip from Griffin. Cheap and works well. Plus if you have a slightly older ipod(60gb photo) then you can charge it too with the ciggi lighter if you get the adapter of course. :nerd:

Post by Guest »

myredzed wrote:So, to clarify then, am I correct in assuming that you can't get an Ipod to work with the BMW Business tape unit? I was hoping to do this as I would like to keep the standard look however it seems like I might have to get hold of a BMW Business CD unit and the kit mentioned in this thread :head:
Yes and no. Obviously you can use an itrip or a cassette adapter, but not one of the dedicated Ipod to BMW adaptors that fool the head unit into thinking the iPod is a CD changer. for that you do need the iBus enabled Business CD.
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

http://play.com/Electronics/Electronics ... oduct.html

mp3 with FM transmitter , possible solution though I have not sen a review of just how good the signal to the radio is
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney