Rust Treatment...Also Stone Chip Treatment

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Rust Treatment...Also Stone Chip Treatment

Post by domross »

You may not think there is much call for this sort of info in the knowledgebase but some zeds are now over 10 years old and will be developing the orange rot!!!Prevention is better than cure so get the waxoyl out!!I found this on my door Picture 004

turned out to be this : picture005

on removing the window rubber!! Imagine how happy I was to find this after 2 weeks of owning this car!!

Kit I used for this job was as below

[img] picture 011 also Used 1200 wet and dry paper (with it very wet soaked for 3+ hours) and a hair dryer for quick drying in between coats...the most important piece of kit here is the brush which is a size 1 artist brush.

Stages were

1. Use the knife (v.sharp thin blade) to scrape off all the loose paint,then vigourously go over the rust/bare metal with the abrasive pencil until all loose rust is removed.

2. Paint on the rust cure onto the bare metal/rust being careful not to get any on the paintwork....go and have a cup of tea while it turns a nice shade of black.

3.Using 1200 wet/dry paper sand down the area as smooth as possible...if necessary before this stage use knifing putty to fill in any imperfections....this is the most important stage cos if it ain't smooth now, it never will be!

4. Start painting primer in very thin coats...for brushing I added cellulose thinners to make it easier to apply ending up with this :
picture 009
At this point the hairdryer came out once the initial set had o ccured to speed up drying. Then Very lightly go over this with the 1200 grit wet/dry (have this soaked for 2-3 hours at least to achieve a smooth surface.

5. Repeat this process with the paint again if brushing thin down with cellulose thinners until you have this
picture 010 allow to dry/cure with hairdryer and then very lightly flatten with the 1200 wet/dry again.

6. repeat last stage with laquer ,then after dry go over with a fine cutting agent /polish. Finished job was this[img] picture 014 looks alot better on car than on piccy.

Also squirted waxoyl along the channel where the rubber sits as a preventative measure...this is probably worth having a look at on any cars over 8 years old.

Can be also applied to paint chips...the artists brush is the most important aspect hhere as it is easier to use than the brushes in the touch up kits and gives a better finish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by domross on Sat 07 Jul, 2007 13:01, edited 2 times in total.