Fitting M roadster oval mirror to Z3 roadster

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
Orinoco

Z3 roadster 2.8

Fitting M roadster oval mirror to Z3 roadster

Post by Orinoco »

Just fitted the M oval mirror to my roadster.

It was a straight forward removing the existing mirror simply turning the mirror off the screen mount and releasing the electric plug. It was then a case of prising the mirror apart to get access to the circuit board which controls the central locking and alarm.

It was relatively easy removing its internals (thanks to Mike Fishwick for the wiring tip about removing the wires on the plug & making a diagram of where they went).

The problem I've had is fitting the circuit board into the new non electrical M mirror.

I retained the bracket section with the ball end from the old mirror due to the wiring plug being fitted through it. This part is the same as the new M one but has a small section which clips off at the front to allow access to the wiring.

I was unable to fit the circuit board and wiring in the new M mirror with its internals in place; so I removed them all but the piece which the ball section of the bracket fits into.

I could not mount the circuit board anywhere in the new M mirror but it sits freely and is unable to move once the mirror and plastic front clipped back in place.

At this stage I had a mirror which fitted and looked good but didn't adjust and sit in the correct position due to the internals being removed in order to fit the circuit board for the alarm and central locking.

I have however overcome this by fitting blu tac around the ball joint holding it in the correct position. I have then covered this with some black tape. Not exactly a major feat of engineering but it all works fine and looks the part. I still don't have the manual dim facility but I never used it anyway so won't miss it at all.

I would have taken pictures but my camera is on the blink.

Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice.

Orinoco
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I fitted one to my Topaz Z3 and didn't have any problems; I seem to remember the circuit boards just swapped over and it all clipped back together.
Orinoco

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Orinoco »

There was only one circuit board in my old mirror and none at all in the M one.

Did you have a circuit board in your M mirror c_w?

I think there may be M mirrors with and without electrical components inside of them.

Orinoco
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Orinoco wrote:There was only one circuit board in my old mirror and none at all in the M one.

Did you have a circuit board in your M mirror c_w?

I think there may be M mirrors with and without electrical components inside of them.

Orinoco
I seem to remember it being the same circuit board type but just on a different frequency I assume so it swapped over easily. I think it might coincide with the change from the seperate alarm fob to alarm fobkey maybe that makes the difference?
Kiwi

M coupe S50

Post by Kiwi »

c_w wrote:I fitted one to my Topaz Z3 and didn't have any problems; I seem to remember the circuit boards just swapped over and it all clipped back together.
I had exactly the same experience - the PCB from the Z3 mirror clipped into place in the replacement M mirror (although I did do some soldering but can't remember why now) - didn't have any issues with the board not being fixed in place/ interfering with movement etc. Must be different mirror variants.
1999 Z3 2.8 (Cosmos)
2000 M Coupe (Dakar)
545 M Sport

('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Fitting M roadster oval mirror to Z3 roadster

Post by ('_')Z3 »

A little more detail, thanks to ('_')Z3. Thanks R.

--

The other purchase is the ///M oval rear view mirror. I'd been after one for a while and eventually sourced a brand new one on eBay this week that someone had ordered by mistake :oops:
It was the one that contained the circuit and it arrived in its original box today

after a bit of research and a quick question on here answered by Robert T i was ready to go. The original mirror was easy enough to remove, a quick twist and unplug the connector and it was off.

The mirror has two small blanks that you can remove to gain access to the wiring etc.

Once i'd removed the mirror you simply have to remove the front of the mirror, this is held in place by a series of clips around its edge, the sandard and ///M mirrors both clip the same way. It is this part that secures the glass in place.
The circuit on the original mirror is clipped in place and the ///M circuit is screwed.

Both mirrors were connected using an identical plug, unfortunately the plug does not fit through the hole in the mirror to allow the removal of the circuit. The plug contains 9 coloured wires, to remove the circuit I had to push the retaining clip on each of the spade connectors and slide them out before feeding the wires through the small hole.

It was then just a simple matter of feeding the original circiut wires through the hole of the new ///M mirror. The circuit was held in place by the screws. Once i was happy with the fitment of the circuit i slid the spade connectors back in to the black connector. I placed the glass back in place with the thicker edge at the top. It's the just a matter of clipping the front of the mirror back in place.
Refitting took two minutes, clip the connector back to the car and then twist the mirror on to the glass

Job done :D