how too (How to fit Xenon Projector Headlights)

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
toogo

Z3 roadster 3.0i

how too (How to fit Xenon Projector Headlights)

Post by toogo »

Hi all,

I do not know if this has been put on here before but found it whilst looking for the anwser I need for xennon upgrades. I know we could all just put the new lights in to make it look good but the len's are important too. If you like what you see and plan to do this to your car please let me know as I will pay some one to do it for me. Link below, maybe put it in the HOW TOO DO?

http://www.emotors.ca/articles/132.aspx

Toogo
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

HID upgrades to your Z3 will no longer pass an MOT.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

How too.... spell 'how to' would be a good start.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

SpunkyM wrote:How too.... spell 'how to' would be a good start.
Do you mean 'spelt' ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage

Xennon

Post by Guest »

Just to add my pennyworth - 'Xennon' should be 'Xenon.' 'Anwser' is also a bit of a mouthful.

Why can't people spell any more? Is it all too much trouble, do people think it's smart, or are educational/mental standards really falling? Young males really seem to have problems in this area.

I don't believe the claim to be EU approved, as this would require headlamp levelling and washing equipment.

It seems to be a lot of work to get nothing more than a better dipped beam, and the wish to be seen as being 'different' - it's a pity that none of the various (Chinese?) companies involved cannot produce a set of lights incorporating a Hella Bi-Xenon HID dip/main beam unit with a halogen main beam for instant operation, and a second HID long range lamp.

HID dip units only give a better dip beam, but still have poor levels of range, but perhaps in the UK people don't drive very quickly at night anymore.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Does that mean maybe username should say "togo" too!?

That link looks like a lot of work to get projector headlights; it would be much easier to get some of the HongKong Z3 headlights (around £200) as they just bolt on (I can't see E46 or X5 headlights being that cheap either, and a bit of a risk if you end up ruining both sets).
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Group buy thread made a while back.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I posted an HID photo install diary, I didn't bother with the uninstall diary :P IE7Pro comes with a built in spell checker.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I'm still a HID enthewsiast :P

They're blinding :wink: , best lights I've had on a car
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Chromeline Design

BMW convertible

Re: Xennon

Post by Chromeline Design »

Mike Fishwick wrote: I don't believe the claim to be EU approved, as this would require headlamp levelling and washing equipment.
Incorrect nonsense Im afraid, having self levelling lamps and a washer system is only a pre-requesite for factory fitted xenon headlights.

There is still no UK legislation enforced by VOSA that covers "retro-fitted" Xenon kits.

If anyone wishes to purchase our HID kits, we are doing the 9006 (HB4) kits for the Z3 for £139.95 at the moment, with LIFETIME warranty on all parts.

Ben.
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

The DoT have this to say:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps
Fact sheet: Aftermarket HID headlamps
December 2006

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:
The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.
However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).
For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:
1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:
1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.
In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.
Make of that what you will...
押忍!闘え!応援団

DfT

Post by Guest »

Is the Department's view 'Incorrect nonsense,' Ben?

Sooner or later this will work its way through the system, and after-market HID lights will begin to fail MoT tests for the absence of self-levelling and washing systems. Needless to say, the police will probably have a quota for the number of illegal HID kits they can pick up on the roads.

It's a pity, as on a firmly-suspended car like a Z3 the amount of dazzle caused by suspension movement must be a lot less than on a new 4X4 etc - but that's the trouble with legislation. I have never understood why headlamp washing systems are mandatory, as in the UK they are pretty useless, unless the car has particularly bad aerodynamics around the headlamps,

Anyone buying after-market HID kits should be made aware of this situation by the vendor before they hand over their money.

If your lights have a lifetime guarantee, Ben, does that include a money-back clause?

Anyway - this is running away from the purpose of the Z3 Knowledgebase, which is not intended to be a debating forum. If anyone wishes to continue this discussion, please do so in the main Z3 Forum.
Chromeline Design

BMW convertible

someone wrote:The following is the legal rationale:
The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned
Okay, makes sense as its still in place since 1989
someone wrote: and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.
Is this your subjective opinion? I think it is. Believe me, I and many other HID retailers have all done our research as its part of our livelihood. We continue to sell these legally to our customers since there is no current legislation to prohibit their use.
Also, I may add, that as long as when you fit these HIDs and correctly allign them, they pose no more threat to oncoming vehicles than a set of 55W headlamp bulbs.

Until VOSA fail retrofit HID kits, I'll continue to sell them and recommend their fitment to my customers. Quite frankly the stock lighting on the e36/e46/Z3 is terrible and verging on the dangerous at night. In my opinion this lighting system benefits the driver vastly in terms of distance covered and light amount output, and every Z3 owner who has bought a kit; wholeheartedly concurs.

Besides, even if retrofit HIDs became illegal to fit, I'd still sell them, I'd just have to inform the customer at purchase. No big deal.
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

According to that, they are illegal to sell as well... :roll:
押忍!闘え!応援団
Chromeline Design

BMW convertible

Please explain how they are illegal to sell.

Even if the lights were not road legal, which they are. I can still sell them, take show plates for example.
EDD57

Other roadster

Post by EDD57 »

ABSOLUTE MADNESS! youd end up with a load of broken bits and looking for a new pair of lamps
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Chromeline Design wrote:Please explain how they are illegal to sell.
In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon.
Chromeline Design wrote:Even if the lights were not road legal, which they are. I can still sell them, take show plates for example.
Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:...
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling
I think the DFT has spelt it out in no uncertain terms there :|
SledgeHammer

M roadster S50

Post by SledgeHammer »

This is a great mod for the experienced DIYer. Although not easy to do and far from plug and play, I'm happy with the end result. It gives the car a new fresh look, and a nice beam pattern. If u don't like to chop up the internals of your original headlights, the ebay ones are a great alternative.

The X5 headlights are not a must have btw, the original reflector inserts can be cut with a diamond hole saw.
I still need to put together a nice DIY article, since they're not 100% finished yet, but a lot of usable info can be found on bimmerforums.

Acura TSX (Honda Accord) projectors, denso ballasts and 4300K philips bulbs.

shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Sorry to bring up an old thread but wow those DIY xenons look fantastic. Did you have any problems with MOT etc.. sledgehammer?
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi