Final Drive unit failure - Differential bracket

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Cheers for the reply ALM fingers crossed I get lucky like you

Got a call this morning saying they can't see any problem with the mount. They asked me to come down and show them. After showing the failed spot welds he still couldn't find any issue, he seemed to think the mount wasn't connected to the boot floor and said 'you could drive around with no boot floor and everything would still hold together :s' he then went on to say he reckons the welds have failed because someone has screwed something into the boot and pushed the weld out (showed me screw holes) and seemed to think my car isn't suffering from the problem. He also said he'd never heard of this on a z before

he did say he'd pass my details on but thought a repair was unlikely :(
Last edited by shantybeater on Mon 09 Nov, 2009 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Shanty, You car may not have the problem from the diff (not every car did)

Fact is the spot welds are a "weak" spot and a by product of the diff bracket problem.

I guess its not beyond the realms of possibility that as a weak spot some other factor could cause their failure (especially if there is evidence of additional screw holes in the boot floor :shock: ).

I would take up their offer and check the diff bracket. Make sure you know exactly were to look as it starts as a very fine crack which can be hard to see.

It may be that in your case a simply rectification of the broken spot welds will suffice if it was caused by something now removed from the car.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

I didnt totally write off the idea, considering the two small screw holes are right above the mount :(

I guess we will have to see what the final word is. If my diff mount is intact I can only happy at the end of the day.

On close inspection it is pretty much just one weld thats gone. Either way a solution will have to be found
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Well some updates for everyone, I got a call on friday from BMW saying the area technical manager has been informed about the car and its being bounced between him & the warranty department.

Then on monday I called back and was told the area manager wasnt willing to view the car unless BMW Germany agreed they would cover it.

Yesterday I got another call saying the manager was willing to view the car which could only be good news, I dropped it off last night.

Finally today I was told the manager viewed the car, and they will be repairing it free of charge, they are ordering in the parts as we speak although he said it may take some time because they arent easily sourceable.

I'm chuffed to bits!! so for all of you, dont give up! they clearly said its done on a case by case basis and each car will be judged on its merets. (thank god i cleaned it before i dropped it in!!!)
:)

Maybe worth adding this to the knowledgebase thread?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Nice on mate, chalk up another forum victory :D

I must admit when you get it back with nice shiney underside even though you can't tell a difference it a great feeling.

It is worth you trying to get some paperwork from the repairs dept when you pick the car up, even if you ask for a copy of the quote they prepare for BMW. I managed to get a photocopy of this and a 3 year warranty but I think this is only because they messed up. Anything you can get just helps you if you ever come to sell :wink:

Also worth thinking about if you need any suspension work doing on the rear to see if they will do it whilst they are stripping the rear end down anyway and just charge you parts :wink:

Also, see if you can get them to put some paint they will use in the boot in a bottle for you as its very hard to get hold of and is handy for the engine bay :wink: (you can now be a bit cheeky, I missed a trick with this but Zed Carer got some :D )

I'll ask a mod if this thread can be added to the knowledgebase one :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster