Hard Top Hoist Install

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Hard Top Hoist Install

Post by Dave L2 »

Hard Top Hoist Install - Time to install 30mins - 1Hr

Thanks to Jonttt and his eagle eyed eBay elfs I am now the very happy owner of a Hard Top Hoist. Collected yesterday morning and installed in the afternoon.

In the Kit

The Kit consists of the Winch itself, the Winch Handle, 3 Trim Pieces, 2 Nylon Pulleys on metal mountings, the Lifting Frame, 1 Spring Carabiner (although I suspect there may have been 2 originally) & a Threaded Metal Hoop.

Mounting the Winch

I mounted the Winch directly through a joist using 2 135mm * 8mm bolts. There are other screw holes in the plastic surround of the Winch but I wouldn't rely on these as being load bearing.

Mounting the Pulleys

As with the Winch these were mounted directly onto joists. I used 4 2½" * 10 wood screws in each Pulley without drilling pilot holes, as I wanted the maximum bite into the timber. As the Pulleys bear most of the weight of the roof I wasn't prepared to risk any kind of plaster board fixing.

Fitting the Frame

The ends of the two Winch Cords are finished with woven loops which attach to the Lifting Frame using the Carabiners. As I only have 1 Carabiner I have attached the Cord at the back of the Lifting Frame to the Threaded Hoop using a kite loop knot. But for ease of use I will be getting a 2nd Carabiner.

Installing the Trim & Handle

The 3 Trim Pieces slide onto the underside of the Winch Box and are shaped to accomodate the gearbox and Winching Handle. The Handle hooks onto the gearbox and allows for easy removal and storage.

Fitting the Lifting Frame to the Hard Top

The Lifting Frame supports the Hard Top at 3 points; on either side using the mounting pins that secure the Hard Top to the Car when installed and at the front. There are holes in the side sections of the Frame that accomodate the mounting pins but the front of the Hard Top just rests on the front of the Frame. The Hard Top appears exceptionally well balanced as hardly any of the weight is taken by the front of the Frame.

Job Done

Disassembly of the Lifting Frame is very straight forward, so for general use I think it is going to be easier to assemble the Lifting Frame around the Hard Top whilst the Top is still fitted to the car, reverse into the garage, attach the winch cords (hence the need for a 2nd carabiner) and lift. Trying to reverse the car into the garage whilst the Lifting Frame is still attached to the Winch and in a lowered position will likely mean that I'll have to get the Hard Top resprayed again ;)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

One quick question - how do you get the lifting frame under the hardtop when the hardtop is on the car? To get the prongs to go under it, it looks like you need to lift the roof quite high, which surely requires two people? My understanding is that one person could safely do this on their own.

Looks good though and if even I get a proper garage, is something I might consider.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Looks great, will be interesting how it works in practice, my only reservation, I would be nervous hoisting anything over me car, with all the care in the world I would hate the hard top to come crashing down on my pride and joy :shock:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Robert T wrote:One quick question - how do you get the lifting frame under the hardtop when the hardtop is on the car? To get the prongs to go under it, it looks like you need to lift the roof quite high, which surely requires two people? My understanding is that one person could safely do this on their own.

Looks good though and if even I get a proper garage, is something I might consider.

Cheers R.
The key is to disassemble the Lifting Frame. The Frame breaks into 4 pieces, so disassembly is easy. Fit the left side piece to the HT, fit the right side piece to HT and then reassemble the all pieces around the Top. The 4 pieces are connected using the two threaded knobs you can see in the pictures, each of which also has a locating pin for a secure fixing, and the Threaded Hoop. I haven't tried doing it on my own yet as the Hard Top was already off the car this year, but I can see how it could easily be done by one person.
TitanTim wrote:Looks great, will be interesting how it works in practice, my only reservation, I would be nervous hoisting anything over me car, with all the care in the world I would hate the hard top to come crashing down on my pride and joy :shock:

Tim.
This was/is one of my concerns as well, it's the reason I made sure everything is mounted on Joists with big bolts and screws. Also I thouroghly tested the mounting of each component before anything got lifted and then rechecked before putting the Car away. :wink:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Great Write up Dave, I know how mine should work now when I get a garage to fit it :D

Probably worth a mod moving this thread to the knowledgebase in a week or so when people have expressed their thoughts (ie you still can't post replies once in the knowledgebase :wink: )
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Well done Dave L2

I didnt know I was bidding against a forum member
I did notice you waited in the wings
before you swooped

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Dave L2 wrote:
Robert T wrote:One quick question - how do you get the lifting frame under the hardtop when the hardtop is on the car? To get the prongs to go under it, it looks like you need to lift the roof quite high, which surely requires two people? My understanding is that one person could safely do this on their own.

Cheers R.
The key is to disassemble the Lifting Frame. The Frame breaks into 4 pieces, so disassembly is easy. Fit the left side piece to the HT, fit the right side piece to HT and then reassemble the all pieces around the Top. The 4 pieces are connected using the two threaded knobs you can see in the pictures, each of which also has a locating pin for a secure fixing, and the Threaded Hoop. I haven't tried doing it on my own yet as the Hard Top was already off the car this year, but I can see how it could easily be done by one person.
TitanTim wrote:Looks great, will be interesting how it works in practice, my only reservation, I would be nervous hoisting anything over me car, with all the care in the world I would hate the hard top to come crashing down on my pride and joy :shock:

Tim.
This was/is one of my concerns as well, it's the reason I made sure everything is mounted on Joists with big bolts and screws. Also I thouroghly tested the mounting of each component before anything got lifted and then rechecked before putting the Car away. :wink:
I looks very sturdy bolted to the garage roof :lol: I was thinking more how easy could the hardtop slip off the hoist?

Tim.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

TitanTim wrote:I looks very sturdy bolted to the garage roof :lol: I was thinking more how easy could the hardtop slip off the hoist?
The hard top balances almost perfectly when suspended via the mounting bayonets so there's not much chance of it slipping.
My concern is protection during storage.
Ours is in its OEM bag and lifted manually to the garage ceiling.
The hoist undoubtedly makes removal a one man operation, but to then get the roof in its bag means lowering it to the ground (if the string is long enough) then raising it again.
Is there an electric winch option I wonder... ?
Image :devil:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Titan wrote:
TitanTim wrote:I looks very sturdy bolted to the garage roof :lol: I was thinking more how easy could the hardtop slip off the hoist?
The hard top balances almost perfectly when suspended via the mounting bayonets so there's not much chance of it slipping.
The hoist undoubtedly makes removal a one man operation, but to then get the roof in its bag means lowering it to the ground (if the string is long enough) then raising it again.
Thanks Mr T, I'm sure I have seen an electric winder, unless I'm imagining it, sure it was in the States, which would figure :lol:

Tim.
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Ok, I know I am a bit thick, but how do you connect the disassembled frame to the prongs on the left and right side of the back of the hardtop (on your own) without damaging your paint work? (body)

HT. :?
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

Great write up!
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Boysie wrote:Well done Dave L2

I didnt know I was bidding against a forum member
I did notice you waited in the wings
before you swooped

Ray
eBay is like poker, never show your hole cards until you need to ;)

At least I wasn't the bidder who kept contacting the seller asking her to end the auction early, she was really quite annoyed with them. Some people eh?

Hard Top wrote:Ok, I know I am a bit thick, but how do you connect the disassembled frame to the prongs on the left and right side of the back of the hardtop (on your own) without damaging your paint work? (body)

HT. :?
Having loosened the Hard Top from the car you would have to lift the Roof on each side to get each piece of the frame in place. The Lifting Frame is covered with thick(ish) felt sleeves in the areas that would contact paintwork.

I need to do a test run of getting the top on and off by myself but I can't do that until I have my extra carabiner. So I'll take some more pictures of the process and add them to the write up.
Titan wrote:The hard top balances almost perfectly when suspended via the mounting bayonets so there's not much chance of it slipping.
Indeed. I'm not sure about using the bag, for a start mine is after market and does not have the holes cut out for the mounting pins. Also I wouldn't want to attempt getting it into the bag on my own anyway. My Top is currently covered with a sheet just to keep the dust off, but I'll have to shop around to try to find something more appropriate.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Dave L2 wrote:Also I wouldn't want to attempt getting it into the bag on my own anyway.
I can manage the bag on my own but it is undoubtedly easier with a spare pair of hands :wink:
Dave L2 wrote:My Top is currently covered with a sheet just to keep the dust off, but I'll have to shop around to try to find something more appropriate.
A quilt and a teddy bear or two perhaps? :oops:
Image :devil:
ROBBELL

Z3 roadster 2.0

hard top hoist install

Post by ROBBELL »

Aldi have an electric remote hoist for sale at the moment for £44 just right for your hoist.

Robin
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

As promised, all be it a while ago, how it fit your Hard Top using your hoist on your own.

As mentioned in my original post I have replaced the single carabina on the front of the Lifting Frame and fitted a matching one to the ring on the rear. I got hold of a couple of medium weight ones from B&Q which looked like a good match to original ones. As I said I suspect there should have been two originals but I only got 1 from the eBay seller.

Prep

Wind Deflector removed, Screen Blanket in place and Roof retracted.

Lining Up

Reverse into garage getting as inline as possible with suspended Hard Top.

Extra Protection

The Lifting frame does has some padding on it in the areas that will contact the car but you can never be too careful.

Lower into Place

Lower the Hard Top into place aligning the rear fittings. At this point the spikes on the Hard Top are in their recepticles in the fitting kit so the roof is resting on the fitting kit rather than on the bodywork of the car.

Release Rope

Release Front & Rear ropes, the weight of the Hard Top is now fully taken by the car.

Outside

Outside the garage you get a clear shot of the Hard Top complete with Lifting Frame on the car.

Dismantle

Dismantle the rear of the Lifting frame, one side at a time, and remove each piece from the car making sure the Hard Top spikes are now fully seated.

Frame Removal

Remove the remaining section of the Lifting Frame, locate & tighten the front Hard Top Fixings and clip down the rear spikes.

All Done

All ready for the winter now :D
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I have a hoist like that bought from a member of the forum a year or so ago. My main criticism is of the winch handle. Mine is a slightly different design and as it is hard work winding the hoist up with the roof on it, the hook has a tendency to slip out of the winding eye all too easily. Otherwise it is the only way to handle the hardtop unless you and your partner are young, fit and strong IMHO. Hanging it on the wall in its bag challenged my 30+ Y.O son and me previously and putting it in the bag was a fight. I am very glad I have my hoist! It will not be used lightly, though, it's hard work and a bit of a fag to use. All in all, a good buy. :)
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

my lifting kit consists of me and someone else

lot less hassle than that

ps lovely car by the way :D

The 'BEAST' 666