Big Bodied Throttle Kit

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Big Bodied Throttle Kit

Post by Fixer »

Well after speaking with Ian who supplies this kit I ordered one, paid online and it came next day at my request.

The kit comprises of

1 Extensively re worked 2nd hand M50 manifold

1 Big bore throttle body

1 Big bore traction control body

You need to order six rubber manifold seals from the dealers to complete the kit at a cost of £23 all though it does come with second-hand one’s but I choose to use new.

I've included some photos of the kit and my progress in day one.

The Kit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Fixer on Wed 31 Aug, 2005 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Progress in day one.

I must say it's not an easy job but if you are mechanically minded then to get too a stage where it’s already to go back together it should take you about two hours.
I pick the new seals up tomorrow so I will give you an update then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Fixer on Fri 02 Sep, 2005 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
topfuelking

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by topfuelking »

it's a nice kit 8-) the bbtb remap is the next step the re limiter is at 6850 rpm and it loves it :twisted:
THANKS MARC
looking for a carp fishing hoilday we can help http://www.carpfishingmayenne.com

ImageSYMPTOMS OF A BOOST JUNKY

1. You get excited when it's cold outside.
2. You fill up every three days.
3. The size of your grin is directly proportional to the amount of boost you’re on.
ChippedUK

Not specified

Post by ChippedUK »

This conversion is a masterpiece.
Everyone always asks me "whats it like" but i cant answer them.
It bears no resemblance to the original car and you really need to drive one to understand just how rapid this car is once the restrictions are removed.
www.chippeduk.com for xtra performance.
Making cars quicker for the past 12 years.
jayson@chippeduk.com - 07815-501867
Landline: 01527-579345
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

ChippedUK wrote:This conversion is a masterpiece.
Everyone always asks me "whats it like" but i cant answer them.
It bears no resemblance to the original car and you really need to drive one to understand just how rapid this car is once the restrictions are removed.

???????????????????????
Carlo_Trentini

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by Carlo_Trentini »

So what can kind of HP can you expect after fitting the BBTB, BBASC, Manifold, free flowing filter, cat- back exhaust and of course doing the re-map.

Just as a rough figure, I realize that not all cars will be exactly the same.

Thanks.
ChippedUK

Not specified

Post by ChippedUK »

you can expect upwards of 230hp.
we have seen in one extreme case 245hp but on an average your looking at 230-235 with the above mods.
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

ChippedUK wrote:you can expect upwards of 230hp.
we have seen in one extreme case 245hp but on an average your looking at 230-235 with the above mods.
Wow, I didn’t think it would be that much; that’s a big jump from 195.

How long do you need to do a remap on a 2.8, I'm planning to have the exhaust system done in the next week, or so, it would be good if I could call on my way back from Cardiff.

I take it the remap needs doing after the exhaust has been fitted.
Carlo_Trentini

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by Carlo_Trentini »

Interesting, very interesting.. :mrgreen:

Post by Guest »

I have seen this upggrade in action at a dyno day we had recently in the BMWCCGB south east region.

A guy (Sleeper) with an E36 323i made 197.3 rwhp. Astonishing considering the 323i is only 170 hp by BMWs stage managed at the flywheel numbers.

If Tonycal sees this he can concur as he was there also. An excellent upgrade!
ChippedUK

Not specified

Post by ChippedUK »

the remap takes around 20 minutes too 40 minutes depending on the mods you have done and the code type of the immobiliser system on the car.
we dont use generic maps on this engine, we use a map to suit your mods.
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Thanks Jayson, I will give you a call when I have a date.
Ludo

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by Ludo »

Guys, I have been saying that since I joined! This is a must do mod for the 2.8L, and that should have been how it left the factory.
For the gains, 230ish is a fair assumption (with intake, exhaust and remapp) going by the reported gains seen on e36coupe.co.uk (actual dyno measure, not figures out of the blue). Thow in that lightweight pulleys, lightweight flywheel and cams and you got yourself a car capable of following the M (the M is also almost 80kg heavier). :D
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Well it’s taken a further 3hrs for me to complete this conversion so that’s 5 hrs in total, not bad for a novice.
I came across one problem not mentioned in the instructions, the M50 manifold just wouldn’t go on with the heater valve in place, I had to remove it, and dend the bracket back to enable the manifold to fit, It will need refitting somehow on the bulkhead.
The instruction are very clear and easy to follow apart from the one problem I mention.
It also says in the instructions that the fuel rail cover doesn’t fit perfect after the conversion but it fits fine and is nothing to worry about, see photos.

I would like to point out that it states everything is reversible, should you ever wish to resort back to the original, but the price you pay is for an exchange deal, so should you decide to change it back for what ever reason you would need to buy the old parts back.
Just something to think about when pricing up this kit.

I would however recommend this mod 100%, it dose every thing Ian claims and more, the car just keeps revving all the way up to the redline, you wont be disappointed.

For more details and prices, contact Ian @ alpina527@aol.com
Last edited by Fixer on Sun 18 Sep, 2005 00:30, edited 3 times in total.
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Stainless Exhaust M style
Remap (Chipped uk )
Gruppe m rep induction kit
Angel Eyes (Chromeline Design)
Strong Strut Front & Rear
White lenses, side repeaters etc
Carlo_Trentini

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by Carlo_Trentini »

I think that if you want a 100% OEM look you can just fit the fuel rail from the 325 which was designed for use with this manifold. Should be cheap from a breaker.
Ludo

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by Ludo »

I didn't have any valves in my way. :? Do you have air conditionning?
what do you call the heater valve?
Fuel rail cover is fine for me too, although I might try to play with carbon fiber and try to make a nice CF cover for that. :D

As for the re-sale, if you have to do it, just do the same thing, part exhange. :wink:
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Yes I do have air/con but it was the heater valve on the bulkhead that sticks out about 2", just look at the back off your manifold you will see it probably pressed hard up to it.

Doing another exchange would be a expensive exercise wouldn't it, the point I'm trying to make is, to put it back to standard would cost you double, you need to take that into consideration.
Carlo_Trentini

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by Carlo_Trentini »

Maybe its possible to map it "down" to a near stock state of tune just leaving the throttle bodies in place, taking into account that all the other performance mods incluing the manifold have been removed. It would seem that the TB's have been optimized to complement the manifold rather than balls-out converted to a much larger diameter. :puzzle: I dont know but maybe.
Ludo

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by Ludo »

Fixer wrote:Yes I do have air/con but it was the heater valve on the bulkhead that sticks out about 2", just look at the back off your manifold you will see it probably pressed hard up to it.

Doing another exchange would be a expensive exercise wouldn't it, the point I'm trying to make is, to put it back to standard would cost you double, you need to take that into consideration.
I still don't see what you're talking about?! :? I took my manifold out twice already and put it back, didn't noticed anything.

How it would cost you double? if i wanted to go back stock, I would just sell the kit with the BBTB and get the TBs from the buyer in the deal, et voila, back to stock. :D
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Ludo wrote:I still don't see what you're talking about?! :? I took my manifold out twice already and put it back, didn't noticed anything.

How it would cost you double? if i wanted to go back stock, I would just sell the kit with the BBTB and get the TBs from the buyer in the deal, et voila, back to stock. :D
The valve I'm talking about is in the last two photos I posted, held up with red wire.

And if I wanted to sell the car but keep the kit for later?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one.