Radio Aerial Grommet Replacement

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
risquenun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Radio Aerial Grommet Replacement

Post by risquenun »

Being fed up with the tatty looking external radio aerial grommet i finally bit the bullet and replaced it today.
The replacement part cost me 95p +vat from my local stealer.
To fit it i removed the boot lining on the nearside which revealed the hood pump behind which the aerial was lurking.
The TIS indicated that the 7mm bolt holding the aerial base needed to be loosened and then by rotating the aerial base to and fro the mast could be pulled down and out to enable the grommet to be replaced.
The reality was that my bannana size fingers couldn't get to rotate the aerial to release it so I was forced to remove the hood pump from its bracket by releasing the 2 nuts holding it captive.I then removed the aerial lead connection and power wire from te aerial base.
Once moved aside i was then able to grip the aerial. This wasn't too easy to move so thinking on my feet I found a suitably sized thread in my garage and screwed it into the thread on the top of the wing where the aerial mast would normally go. i was then able to exert some downward pressure with one hand whilst waggling the aerial base with the other -fantastic it came out a treat. I was then easily able to pop out the old top grommet and the new one was lubricated with some autoglymn rubber preservative which allowed me to easily push it into place.
Reassembly was easy not forgetting to reconnect everything.
Job took about 30 minutes in total.
I hope the pictures give you some idea of how the aerial base is clamped into the bracket.

aerial base in situ with 7mm fastening bolt removed

If you look at the top of the aerial base mount you will see it has a bulbous end which passes through the inner grommet and into the outer grommet. Lubrication aids installation.

A view of the bracket sans aerial base.Note 2 rubber blocks are where hood pump sits.
R80TER

M roadster S50

Post by R80TER »

Now that is perfect timing of a write up! i snapped my antenna base unit thingy (the bit you took out) on the weekend so my new one arrives today! I was pondering whether i would need to remove the pump, you have just saved me 10 minutes in struggling and swearing!
Now Car less :-(
w666est

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w666est »

Great! now my Z is one step closer to looking newer. that dirty cracked rubber really told it's age.

I unscrewed the larger bolt to the left of the suggested one which had the same outcome! thanks. The tips made things much easier. (esp the lube)
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi

I am not much of a hands on with the Z
But that was great info on changing the rubber mounting for the ariel
I ended up changing the large rubber below as well

Really pleased with myself

Cheers
Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

pangster

blank

Post by pangster »

good effort and nice write up! :)
pangster

blank

Post by pangster »

this might help as well:

http://www.rfdm.com/tis/65_21_020.pdf

:D
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

Just done my 2000 2 litre and the new part, number 65218411562 cost me £2:56 from local dealer. Certainly transforms the car though...
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

I should've refered to your post as without any lube it was an absolute ball ache trying to get the replacement seal in place! :oops:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Most useful, could a kind mod move this to the Z3 Knowledgebase please - be nice to see one go in the opposite direction. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Hi guys need a little help, iv searched the threads and cant find nothing on this aerial.
Just want to know if this is the aerial your talking about above or am i the only zed with this thing standing ugly proud on my boot.
I know it has to be undone inside the boot behind the pump but just want to know what the fitting is or if there are some better direct replacements before i start surgery.
Here are some pics and try not to laugh.

Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Blimey - I've never seen one like that!

It reminds of the old "DV27" from early days of CB radio - all that's missing is the huge wing nut :)

It could be a non OEM fit but you will need to check inside the boot to find out. Replacement aerials are readily available if you've got the right bits inside the wing.

Good Luck :twisted:
Image :devil:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Oh my god, sorry shouldn't laugh :shock:

I think you know yourself that that needs to be changed before you kill someone with it :wink:

The OEM aerial just screws into the base unit from outside the wing.Lots of people including myself have change the OEM aerial for a shorter stubby type which having a standard thread just screws into place.

However, it is easy to break the top of the base unit off (ie the stubby little ball bit on the top which pushes up from inside the boot into the rubber grommet and the aerial screws into. The problem is that if you do break this bit off a replacement base unit is needed and they are >£60. So I could imagine that if someone has done this and can't afford an OEM base unit they may replace with a cheaper none OEM one.This seems to have happened to yours.

If the aerial just unscrews and the OEM base unit is on place as per the pics then you can just get a replacement aerial that screws in (either OEM or a stubby one off eBay, most people go for the Honda S2000 one :wink: )

If the aerial is not attached to an OEM base unit you will need to buy one of those as well as an aerial.

nb if you don't change it you could always put a flag on and pretend your a VIP :lol:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

If the aerial swivels around on the ball part it could be the previous owner fitted this type for a reason, maybe suffered from previous vandalism so this type can't be snapped off or bent. I fitted a stubby aerial a while back but put the original back on as its more flexible if someone decided to have a go at it. I would be worried with a stubby if it got bent it would knacker the mount as there is no flex in it.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Thx guys, there is definataly no movement and i do remember the previous owner saying he broke the last one so id imagine the whole unit may need replacing.
It really is a shocking aerial and without the bolt from the inside, its anti-theft purely on looks :lol:
When we eventually go our seperate ways, if anyone would like to purchase this "one of a kind" aerial, feel free to pm me.
Sensible offers only :lol: :oops:
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Radio Aerial Grommet Replacement

Post by AW8 »

risquenun wrote:............The reality was that my bannana size fingers couldn't get to rotate the aerial to release it ..................
Only just read this - the above made me chuckle :lol:

Thanks for sharing, (& to pangster for the TIS link). Was going to do this job at some point.........Fortunately no electric hood woes for me :)
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
Dr Shiny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dr Shiny »

Nice posting in 2006 by risquenun.

I reversed my Z into tree/bush in the garden yesterday and a surprisingly strong branch neatly snapped off the rear mounted aerial.

What would I do without this forum?

P.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Dr Shiny wrote:I reversed my Z into tree/bush ..........What would I do without this forum?
Look where you are going instead for reading it ? :oops:
:devil:
Dr Shiny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dr Shiny »

Fair comment, Titan. More driving and less reading - OK.

I spent some of today (on short time working because of the recession) taking my boot trim apart so as I could get at the broke aerial.

The words of risquenun helped me no end.

I've got the broken aerial base on the desk in front of me.

How much is a new one from BMW????????? I just don't believe it! They seem to be over £100!!! It's only a bl**dy aerial.

Unless I can repair my existing aerial with araldite or something similar I'll have to buy a whole new new aerial assembly.

What have readers done? There must be alternative aerials out there which can be fitted.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting something other than BMWs finest?

Regards

Paul
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

I'd get one from a breakers - bound to be better value. Give Fab Direct a call, I'm sure they'll have one.
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Dr Shiny wrote: I've got the broken aerial base on the desk in front of me.
Unless I can repair my existing aerial with araldite or something similar I'll
have to buy a whole new new aerial assembly.
Where exactly is it snapped / broken?
I'm imagining that it's only the "twig" that's broken.
That screws into the base at grommet level.
To have damaged the base below this must have resulted in rear wing damage as well?
Does this link help?
Dr Shiny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dr Shiny »

Hi Titan,

Yes, you would think I'd damaged the bodywork as well, but not the case. I caught the "twig" in the bush near my garage and snapped the plastic body of the base just below where the twig screws in.

I've just returned from the work bench and I've managed to repair the aerial electrically (a bit of soldering) and I am hoping that araldite will stick the broken bits of plastic back together.

It's looking good at the moment. Tomorrow or Sunday I'll reassemble the unit into the car and I think it'll work and probably look OK too.

Amazing what you can do when faced with a £100 bill from BMW for a new aerial.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Dr Shiney, a new base unit is c£65from BMW (can't remember if that includes VATor not).

I replaced mine a few months ago, broke in the same place. I initially fixed but take my aerial off regularly to put cover on and broke again fairly soon after so ended up getting a new one :head:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Dr Shiny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Job done

Post by Dr Shiny »

A bit of solder, some araldite and lots of care and my aerial base is as good as new.

It went back together a treat this morning and all looks as it did before. Luckily my araldite repair area is invisible below the outer grommet.

The next question is...............how long will it last?

Thanks guys

Paul
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Job done

Post by Titan »

Dr Shiny wrote: The next question is...............how long will it last?
I guess that depends on how many more trees you reverse in to........:devil:
groove65

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Job done

Post by groove65 »

Titan wrote:
Dr Shiny wrote: The next question is...............how long will it last?
I guess that depends on how many more trees you reverse in to........:devil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

For anyone who's thinking of doing this, I'd like to offer the following advice to avoid the 5 minutes I had where I pretty much ran out of swear words and ended up with an extremely bruised finger nail :evil:

When you're pulling the aerial down from below, it takes quite a bit of force and will suddenly break free, slamming your hand into the conveniently placed bolt below. So do it slowly and carefully, perhaps stuffing a towel in the well below covering all the pointy things that are waiting to cause untold pain. Or as per above, use something with the same thread and diameter as the aerial mount to push from above.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Zedona

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zedona »

I found this very useful :D , I have just replaced the lot;- Aerial base(from a breaker online), internal and external grommets.
20 minutes including removing and replacing hood pump.Now sporting the mini rubber aerial from Citroen,
should be harder to knock and break the base.
zopar

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU
Location: East of Chester when in Cheshire & Twixt Brough and Hull in Yorkshire

Post by zopar »

Just replaced the rubber grommet on my 1.8 Facelift Z3

I was advise on zroadster which grommet to buy - but be aware the
Pre Facelift grommet will not fit the Post Facelift Z3 wing.
So to recap Z3s:
Pre 04/99: 6521 8 389 698
Post 04/99: 6521 8 411 562
The numbers quoted above are for the 1.9 Z3

Cheers
Az
grevster

Z3 roadster 1.9

Aerial grommit replacement

Post by grevster »

Help, just spent an 1 hour trying to follow the instructions to replace the aerial grommit.

Does anyone know how to remove grommit from the aerial mast. As I can see no way of removing it. I have managed to remove the aerial mast with the grommit by unscrewing from the base but there doesnt seem to be anyway of getting the grommit off the mast.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Re: Radio Aerial Grommet Replacement

Post by chrisp_1 »

Cheers to risquenun for the OP - helped me accomplish this task today without breaking anything :!:

I'm now a member of the new aerial grommet club :D