Car insurance for my lad

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Car insurance for my lad

Post by Deano1712 »

My boy passed his test recently on the second attempt and its time for his first car. Can anyone recommend a source of cheap insurance? Cheapest I have seen on tinternet is about £1400 TFFT for a 1.0 Corsa.

I looked at adding him onto the insurance for the MR (for a laugh) and they want £4k :o
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

One way to bring it down would be to put you on the insurance as a named driver. Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
AndyBass
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by AndyBass »

Doing Pass plus will reduce the bill with many insurers.
We all have a photographic memory, just some don't take the lens cap off!
madmare

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by madmare »

How much? :shock:

That is a daft figure!!! Sadly I don't know of any way of getting it down to a more realistic figure!
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Try something that Barry boys don't drive, a 2.0 SAAB or Mondeo, Volvo or something. They are more powerful than the 3 cylinder 998cc Corsas but are less likely to be smashed into tree/people carrier/supermarket/lampost due to excessive speed by the stereotypical knowall newboy racer drivers out there and hence they can be much cheaper to insure. He may protest that it is not cool though. (Counter by saying it is more cool than getting a bus. :twisted: )
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Tourniquet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Car insurance for my lad

Post by Tourniquet »

Deano1712 wrote:My boy passed his test recently on the second attempt and its time for his first car. Can anyone recommend a source of cheap insurance? Cheapest I have seen on tinternet is about £1400 TFFT for a 1.0 Corsa.

I looked at adding him onto the insurance for the MR (for a laugh) and they want £4k :o
Don't rely on the internet to provide you with the best quotes, the telephone can achieve wonders if you're prepaired to make a day of it (most are 0800 numbers anyway). there are a couple of things you can try to lower the premium.

Get a lower insurance group car. doubt the corsa is particularly high to begin with but it's certainly not the lowest.
limit the mileage. keep it below 10,000 a year, lower if you can
make sure the car is completely standard. not a single modification
insure it under your name and add him as a second driver. don't put your no claims bonus against it and make sure they are a company that will allow him to earn NCD as well.
Don't get a brand new car. the lower the cars value the easier insurance should be.

Other than that there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. Insurance has cost me £2000 in my late teens for nothing more than a 1.5 Daewoo Nexia. Therapy helps.... And pills... :D
Convert to the church of "nice shiny engine bay"
All hail the shiny engine bay.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Not happy. I think there is a reason car insurance is expensive for new drivers....

Eventually got him a Saxo 1.1 S reg. Car £800. Insurance £1430 TPFT. Got it last Thursday.

Just took a call from his mum - he has just crashed it! :head: Lost it round a corner. Frontal into a post. Wing, radiator, bonnet wrecked.

Tim is OK but wait till I get hold of him....
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

oh dear,hope he,s ok

a crash is normally,1.the drivers fault 2.the cars fault.3.another drivers fault.i wonder what option he,ll be telling you
Zed_Steve

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zed_Steve »

Ooops! I dread to think what the insurance will be now :shock:

An expensive lesson learnt hopefully.
Tourniquet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: hi

Post by Tourniquet »

321bhp wrote:oh dear,hope he,s ok

a crash is normally,1.the drivers fault 2.the cars fault.3.another drivers fault.i wonder what option he,ll be telling you
2: A driver is deemed responsible for ensuring their car is in good working order, therefore the crash is either

1:The drivers fault
2:The drivers fault
or
3:The fault of the immobile post leaping out at him :lol:
Convert to the church of "nice shiny engine bay"
All hail the shiny engine bay.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Official story from Tim is greasy road but my daughters (who got a lift this morning) tell me he hasnt learnt to slow down for corners yet!

Pride is damaged severely. As is the bonnet, radiator, grille, bumber, front cross member nearside headlight. Wings intact. He also managed to dent the tailgate! TPFT cover means diy repair. Actually it means dad to repair! Better go dust off the spray gun....

No other cars involved thankfully to opportunity for lesson learnt one hopes.
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

As you have seen here lies the reason the insurance cost is so high for young drivers.. :shock:
I'm not knocking him, I was a young driver once and know exactly what he was probably doing - and Yes I crashed in my first year of driving :oops:
My nephew has recently been trying to get insurance and the quotes he has been getting make your son's look cheap.
I'm glad he's OK, just hope he learns from it... but probably not :wink: (lend us your car Dad :roll: )

garyw