ps3 v the wii NWS

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
321bhp

Not specified

ps3 v the wii NWS

Post by 321bhp »

Kipper

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Kipper »

Based on the video I'd take the Wii, in real life the PS3 stuffs it.

Personally I view it as a toy and not a serious gamers machine.
That should start a row!
Desperado

Not specified

Post by Desperado »

Completly agree, WII is a toy, PS3 is a proper games console, however the xBox 360 beats them all thanks to comparable PS3 graphics, lower price, more games and generally better all round offerings.

Don't be fooled byt he Blu-Ray debate either as it's not anything better than HD-DVD. The xBox autoamtically upscales normal DVD's to HD anyway... without any extra kit all for the basic price.
Kipper

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Kipper »

Yeah I've got a 360, gave up waiting for the PS3 release when it slipped again.

360 has more games at better prices and only marginally poorer performance. It's a no brainer - perhaps when the PS3 has a couple of years behind it and more games I might take a look.

Interesting how Microsoft have taken the crown - Sony dropped the ball.
Really is a golden age for gaming now especially on the 360.

I buy games on E Bay, play them thru and sell on at a typical loss of £3-£4, less than it costs to rent.
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Haha - that's funny! However looking past the video, WII is only good for group gaming, after that, the fun factor wears out very quickly so no good for proper gamers!

As far Xbox 360 vs PS3 - people are deluding themselves by saying/thinking the 360 is better. The usual arguments u hear is its cheaper - erm the PS3 can now be had for £270 - not alot of difference to the 360 then! then there's the game debate - 360 has more games, yeah but its been out for about 2 years ahead - give the PS3 til next year at least before using that argument! Just because there's currently more games on it doesn't make it a better console! The games on PS3 are currently only using 20 - 30% of the console's capabilities - just think of the potential then! whereas 360 games are maxing out the console's capabilities!

The PS3 also comes with built in blu-ray, built in wireless (for internet and streaming and on-line gaming), up to 7.1 surround sound support, dvd upscaler, free on-line gaming, full hd 1080p output (which looks absolutely amazing, has to bee seen), internet browsing, media (video, music) streaming, blue-tooth support for wireless gamepads, keyboards, headsets etc, etc! It does so much more than just gaming, it can be the centre of your home entertainment system and I just can't see how the 360 can even compete with this offering, especially when its also so unreliable with red ringing problems, etc that people are on to 2nd and 3rd sets before the 1st year warranty has even ran out cos it keeps breaking - so much so that Microsoft have had to extend the warranty to 3 years now to stop consumers complaining!

PS - I have a PS3 - not that u would know it from above! :D
Desperado

Not specified

Post by Desperado »

I have a mate with a Wii, PS3 and xBox, he is always on the xBox and hardly uses the other two becauses the games on xBox do tend to be better.
Admitedly you can get most games on both platforms, when faced with that choice he always goes for xBox versions. Not sure why but the xBox is certainly more mature.

You say the PS3 uses 20-30% of it's power, maybe true but until very recently all xBox 360 games only used two of the three cores... same argument there with the xBox. The word is from developers is that the PS3 is very hard to program for. MS know this well form years of making developer tools for all systems. The simplar you make it for people to make programs/games for a platform the more support you end up getting from that community.
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

You can't beat the good old Sega Mega Drive and original Sonic :lol:
I've still got mine, so easy to play (if the adapter wasn't dead) in comparison to the latest consoles :wink:
Maybe thats why they've brought out the Wii, for all us who never kept up with game technology.
Anyway the Wii better be good, you wouldn't believe the hassle I had in trying to get one for my boys for Christmas :roll: the advantage I can see and like the looks of is the interaction the gamers have. Anything that gets my sons of their bottoms and moving about is a good thing, even if it is only bouncing on the spot. :D
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

I have a PS3 and an XBox 360 (among others). I use the 360 a good bit more than the PS3 as the friends system is much more integrated, and it seems to give better performance online. I bought GRAW2 for both of them as a comparison - it looks much better on the PS3, but, the online play is awful - the voice chat was incomprehensible, and the game lagged like mad. I don't mind paying for XBox Live if it alleviates these issues.
I do like the SACD playback from the PS3 though. Oh, and Gran Turismo :) And the PS3 is a lot quieter.
BimBeema wrote:As far Xbox 360 vs PS3 - people are deluding themselves by saying/thinking the 360 is better. The usual arguments u hear is its cheaper - erm the PS3 can now be had for £270 - not alot of difference to the 360 then! then there's the game debate - 360 has more games, yeah but its been out for about 2 years ahead - give the PS3 til next year at least before using that argument! Just because there's currently more games on it doesn't make it a better console! The games on PS3 are currently only using 20 - 30% of the console's capabilities - just think of the potential then! whereas 360 games are maxing out the console's capabilities!

The PS3 also comes with built in blu-ray, built in wireless (for internet and streaming and on-line gaming), up to 7.1 surround sound support, dvd upscaler, free on-line gaming, full hd 1080p output (which looks absolutely amazing, has to bee seen), internet browsing, media (video, music) streaming, blue-tooth support for wireless gamepads, keyboards, headsets etc, etc! It does so much more than just gaming, it can be the centre of your home entertainment system and I just can't see how the 360 can even compete with this offering, especially when its also so unreliable with red ringing problems, etc that people are on to 2nd and 3rd sets before the 1st year warranty has even ran out cos it keeps breaking - so much so that Microsoft have had to extend the warranty to 3 years now to stop consumers complaining!
I'd have to disagree with a lot of that. The most basic 360 is under 200 quid. The most expensive is about the same price as the low-end PS3. By the time you add in the HD-DVD drive to the 360 Elite, it's about the same as the 60GB PS3. A lot of the cut-out features of the PS3 aren't used by many people though, so, unlike the 360, you can get away with the 20GB PS3.
A lot of the PS3 games are available on the 360 and run much better - several PS3 games have framerate issues that the 360 doesn't have. This is apparently because the PS3 is pretty hard to program for. There is no way that the 360's capabilites are maxed out yet - the most impressive games for any console normally come out towards a console's end of life.
As regards the multimedia stuff, other than blu-ray and SACD, there's little the PS3 can do that the 360 can't. In fact, the 360 has better DivX / XVid support than the PS3. Both are capable of full 1080p and DVD upscaling.
While lots of people have had issues with the 360 failing, I don't think the actual figures are as high as most people believe. Remember, you only hear of people with issues, not those who don't. I've had one from launch, and never had an issue. The overheating issue often comes with people putting the console in a unit with poor ventilation. MS extending the warranty is a big show of faith in the console on their part IMO, as they can't be making that much on each one.

All 3 current consoles have their good and bad points, the main thing is to get the one that has the games you want.
押忍!闘え!応援団
cowboybebop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cowboybebop »

I prefer my PC for gaming..... 8-) 8-)

although the consoles are still very good of course
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

this is quite funny,i only posted it so we could oggle at a nice girl,i myself dont own a sega ps 3 wi or anything ,i do have the old game might be atari,where there is 1 square that you hit back and forth like tennis and thats the truth,all you gamers should put down the console and polish your bloody cars :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Desperado wrote: Don't be fooled byt he Blu-Ray debate either as it's not anything better than HD-DVD. The xBox autoamtically upscales normal DVD's to HD anyway... without any extra kit all for the basic price.
There is absolutely comparison in watching a 1080p Blu-Ray / High Definition DVD and an upscaled DVD - the upscaled DVD just looks like regular quality to me, worse if anything as they sometimes pixleate where it might not otherwise in normal mode. The Blue Ray is unbelievably detailed.
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

Something to remember if you are buying a 360 at the minute. The Elite was released earlier in the year and despite having a larger HD, it also has hdmi output as well. This is what set it apart from a standard 360. Recently, microsoft released even the standard 360 with hdmi, so make sure if you buy a new one that it has the hdmi socket. This also means that you are less likely to get the old 360 red ring of death problem as they run on less power. The new 360 and the elite (which is also now in a newer lower power model) can be distinguished from the old one without opening them up in the shop by looking on the barcode label. If it says 203w (watts as in power) then its the old one, the new one is 175w and will have that on the bar code. Another way of checking for the new model in standard 360 is that it will have hdmi logo on the box. Obviously all the elites will have hdmi logo on the box as they were relesed with hdmi from first release.

Hope this helps some of you. My last 360 died, 3 red lights, i bought a new one from John Lewis at the beginning of December. I found out it was the older version so took it back and went to Game and got an Elite with the newer lower power.

Tags

Oh yes, forgot to mention the newer ones are a lot quieter. And the 360 red ring of death (as its know as) is much much larger problem than you would think.
Kipper

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Kipper »

all you gamers should put down the console and polish your bloody cars
You are of course right - but if it's not freezing cold it's pi$$ing of rain.
Think I'll do mine over the Christmas period if the rain stops, then go out for a top down drive.

Haven't seen Blu Ray playing but I have Sky HD running 1080, is it any better than that?

I figured that the DVD is virtually obsolete with HD and the hard drive.
Just press a button and record, no fumbling for discs and the films are out in a couple of months.
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

Sky HD is not the best example of 1080 to be honest. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are miles better in general. The main reason is due to the compression used in Sky HD and the limitations of the bandwidth on Sky. They have had to turn the compression up on all the channels to support more HD channels.
There is also the issue of how much native HD content there is compared to what is upscaled from normal definition material.

Don't get me wrong, the quality on Sky HD is pretty good, but, compared to a medium quality HD disc, there is no comparison. Compared to a high quality HD disc, you'll be disappointed with Sky HD.

There is a freeview HD satellite service starting next year that should provide much higher quality HD pictures than Sky.
押忍!闘え!応援団