Absence makes the heart fonder

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
icarus

Z3 roadster 1.9

Absence makes the heart fonder

Post by icarus »

I’ve been making a nuisance of myself on other forms. What have you been up to Tim? ( beside fixing the site).

QUIA CUSTODIET CUSTODES IPSOS?
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

I hear Tim was on a bike cruise in the Sahara! Is that true?
Mods:
ECU Remap - Chipped UK
Angel Lights - Chromeline Design
E-Tech Strut Bar
///M Polished Aluminium Pedal Set
///M Silver Oil Filler Cap
Boot Spoiler
BMW Hardtop
BMW Chrome Tyre Valve Caps
Sony Headunit
BMW Williams F1 Tax Disc Holder
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

It really is great to be back - for me, in more ways than one.

I mean, I leave you all to it for a month or so while I swan off to New Zealand and Australia and what happens? Disaster!

I realised something was amiss when I tried to access the forum while I was in New Zealand. It was working OK when I left a message from Christchurch in 'Spotted' on around 1st February, but next time I tried to get on, the site had obviously been hacked. Yes, I know it's sad trying to get onto the site while you're on holiday on the other side of the world, but e-mail/internet access is so easy these days. Nearly all the hotels and airport departure lounges had access, in some cases totally free.

To those who left messages wishing me well on my travels, thank you very much. We had a fabulous time. We went through around nine or ten changes of time zone, ranging from seven to 13 hours ahead, and travelled more than 31,000 miles in all - an average of roughly 1,000 miles per day! We had temperatures of over 100 degress F in central Australia, but for the most part it was just pleasantly hot for a fair haired northern European like me.

Now that my wife and I have satisfied some of our wanderlust (that was our third long haul trip since August 2006), we are quite looking forward to spending most of the coming summer just tootling around in the UK, so hopefully I'll be able to meet up with some of you, somewhere or other.
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Actually I was in Mauritania and Sénégal, see http://timcullis.wordpress.com

It took several days to even get a response to emails to the ISP hosting the websire. Apparently the ISP was bought a while back and without my knowing (!) the service level agreement was changed and I could no longer ask for a restore from backup. Do they even do backups??

I didn't have the website control files on my travelling laptop so my absence delayed the restore a few days. The work to get the site back was then over a period of about ten days, trying various things, mainly rehacking the database using vanilla SQL commands.

No data was lost other than my accidental removal of Phil's account which by then had been renamed Darth the Destroyer or something equally juvenile.

Tim
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

WOW!!!! What an incredible journey!! Love the picture of the local taxi. Well done Tim!!!
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster