In-car pc

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

In-car pc

Post by Ian_C »

I didn't want to hijack mrluke's thread in the Stock Exchange however it got me thinking....

....why would you need a pc in your car and what are the benefits?

Thoughts anyone?
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Whilst stuck in traffic on the M25, on your way to work, you could get a headstart on that Excel spreadsheet :lol: .

It's definately an individual mod, although it's functions are similar to an installation containing a DVD headunit with sat nav capability, a hard disk for MP3 storage etc. It's just a novel alternative to having a standard install in your car. A case of "sledgehammer to kill a fly" approach, but if it works perfectly, kudos to whoever built it.

Any pics available, Luke? I'm curious as to what it looks like installed.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

GPS, Telemetry from the OBC, DAB, freeview, DVD, MP3, OGG, FLAC, mobile internet and bluetooth. Most of the software is available free, and you can use old PC bits. You certainly can't get OGG & FLAC in your car any other way with new hardware these days.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

check out Centrafuse ..

I dont have any install pics as i havnt actually got around to installing .. but my idea for the system was to have it totally stealth .

I have built the Computer inside the Cd changer casing , and the mini amplifier sits where the hardon one does on the upgraded sound system

the screen is a k90 which imo is the best motorised screen avaliable..

heres some pics

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/worklog ... 008-a.html

My system is probally a bit over the top spec wise , You could probally build a lower spec one cheaper . But if u want to use all the latest stuff ! buy mine ;) as u wont get cheaper lol.

if it dont sell im gonna do somin with it. either install it or just use it in my next car .
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

I did a car pc install a few years ago. Check my posts

Tags
Zim

M roadster S52

Post by Zim »

I did a carpc for my uni project 4 years ago.. it took a year to do.. had a custom windows embedded OS boot up time of 15s.. [start up started 4s after ignition after the power flow become constant] had a 30s capacitor charge so when u turned the ignition off it would safe shut down.. had all the features GPS/Camera/wifi etc.. the media player was a custom build off winamp .. so all buttons where embedded on desktop.. all fitted in a k reg Honda civic..lol.. took it out about 3 hours after my demo though :P

anyway was years ago the hardware has moved on so much since when i last looked into it.. so i'm pretty sure if you wanted to do it now the possibilities are endless...

Zim