sad day :(

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

sad day :(

Post by mrluke »

Got pulled 2day for my number plate illegal spacing .

i dont think he liked a young 22 year old driving one of these cars lol..

To much hassle , was gonna paint it but think im gonna get rid now

need somin a bit more normal with a normal number plate

Soming a lad of my age could drive with out getting pulled

Bring on the Elise :D :D :D
gina2201

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by gina2201 »

What did they do? Do they give you a fine or a warning?
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

gave me a fixed penalty of £30 lol

Tbh i have been awaiting the day till it happened and its been 3 years

not to botherd about the money its only £30 , shame about my plate though may have to sell on egay as aint worth the hassle n e more .

RIP T LUKE
gina2201

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by gina2201 »

Just get a normal spaced number plate and keep the car!

I've yet to be pulled in mine yet (only had it a week ,mind), 22 aswell so counting the days.... :lol:

Although sometimes because you are in a more respetctable car, say, than a chavvy corsa etc etc they don't expect you to not have insurance or what not. I've only ever been pulled once and that was when I was 17, a month after passing my test and had 6 people in the car. Oops. Just a little word of advice was given.
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

i have shoved the normal plate with the normal spacing now lol :D.

i have had it 3 years my plate and never been pulled untill now , the 1 and the J are closer together than normal and thats it .. nothing else is different and ive seen people a lot worse driving around.

im not fussed with it as money aint a problem , just annoys me that im driving a respectable car , going nice and slow in the slow lane in a suit and not dressed like a chav and i get pulled over for a little bit of a misspace . i paid for the plate so i should be entitled to space how i want to !
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

They probably think you have the money to spare, driving such a nice car. :)
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You are not seriously thinking of selling the car just because of a problem with the numberplate are you? :roll:

If it is a good plate, flog it and let someone else deal with the spacing issues and let them get pulled for it. :wink:

Shove a normal plate on it, use the cash to buy some nice bits for you car, and just enjoy it.

I thought I was going to get pulled in my new car on Sat - cop car set off just as I went under the bridge it was on - I had similar thoughts about being too young to be driving the car I was in - well it is 14 years older than me! :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

ive been thinking about getting rid for a while. And number plate will be sold on ebay as well before it goes.

There nice cars the Z's I wanna try out a Elise for a nice test drive . If i dont like it might get a z3 M .. :D
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

ive had the police right behind me with these plates on,and not got a pull,depends which part of the country your in maybe,they seem ok my way,essex and herts police
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

heres mine

Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

Reckon you're more likely to get pulled over in an Elise than a Z3. Fantastic car the elise, wouldn't want to drive one every day though.

Being pulled over for illegal spacing I would think is on the increase due to the use of ANPR.

Ever thought about buying an S2000, I can think of one for sale :P
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

yeh he said he couldnt pick me on anpr

im from essex btw.
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

mrluke wrote: i paid for the plate so i should be entitled to space how i want to !
Surely you aren't serious? I paid for a car that tops out at more than 200mph. For very good reasons the law prevents me from traveling at that speed on regular roads. For very good reasons illegally spaced plates are prohibited.

You have an illegally spaced plate, got caught and have been punished.

Stop moaning.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Don't sell the Zed on account of an illegal plate.

Get a normal plate and keep the Zed.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

greg_ch wrote:
mrluke wrote: i paid for the plate so i should be entitled to space how i want to !
Surely you aren't serious? I paid for a car that tops out at more than 200mph. For very good reasons the law prevents me from traveling at that speed on regular roads. For very good reasons illegally spaced plates are prohibited.

You have an illegally spaced plate, got caught and have been punished.

Stop moaning.
200mph can kill people a Miss spaced plate cant . Its my car i have paid for the plate . if i dont want my car to appear on ANPR then it should be my choice , they can tap it in manualy if they need to check my details. You can easily see its a 1 and a J just a bit closer together

If you look at the pic of the plate , it isnt hardly bad is it i have got away with it for 3 years and this is the first time i have been pulled for it .

Blame

Post by Guest »

Don't blame the police, the ANPR system, or anything but yourself - even at 22, you are old enough to know that the format of a number plate is chosen by the law, rather than your own whims.

To think that you are somehow excused because you think it looks nice shows that you may also have the attitude that minor issues such as insurance, Mot, and driving licences do not matter either, which is why the poice like to pull those who advertise this attitude - they are likely to be good customers!

So stop whining about it, and accept that you brought this problem upon yourself.

Perhaps you could plead the defence that the number plate matched your usual style of spelling . . .
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Blame

Post by Gazza »

It will happen to all of us that have Mis-placed plates, that's the risk we take. It's the Law.
Mike Fishwick wrote: Perhaps you could plead the defence that the number plate matched your usual style of spelling . . .
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Ok, so you're driving in a respectable car, at a respectable speed and your even dressed respectable... along side is a young lad dressed head to toe in burberry, driving a ford fiesta covered in fibreglass and chickenwire and he's scratching the speed limit. If I were a police officer, I'd be inclined to stop the fiesta to conduct a routine check, but instead I notice your illegally spaced reg. plate, for that reason it's you that's breaking the law and therefore, you who needs to be stopped.

And it's for that reason that I totally agree with Greg.

Just because it's your car and you paid for the plate, it doesn't make you above the law! :roll:

An illegally spaced plate may not be dangerous and I'm sure many of us (myself included) have been guilty of running such plates. However, when pulled and fined you have no excuse to throw your toys out of the pram, just accept the officer is doing his job and the law is in place for various reasons.

Finally, I do hate it when people seem to think the police are victimising them because they drive a nice car. The Z3 is an affordable car, price isn't the reason 22 year olds are rarely seen behind the wheel, it's because most 22 year olds would rather spend their money on something more pratical, or put it towards their first house. I'm in my early twenties too and have never had a problem in my Z3; every time in the past that I have been pulled over, I have always been accountable for my actions and taken any fines/points on the chin.
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

Don't worry about being young and driving a car worrying about being pulled over! They tugged you for having a duff plate, not for being 22! I'm 26 and have been driving since 1999. In that time I've never been pulled over, despite having been followed by Police a number of times... This includes my shed of a Fiat Panda (always full of people with odd coloured hair and piercings), my shed of an Orion (more speakers than Glastonbury) and shed of an Astra (more speakers than the Orion) before I got my Z3. In the Z3 I often get followed as I travel between Redditch and Birmingham but I never get pulled over as there is nothing wrong with it. Taxed, Insured, number plate spaced correctly...
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

yalden wrote:Ok, so you're driving in a respectable car, at a respectable speed and your even dressed respectable... along side is a young lad dressed head to toe in burberry, driving a ford fiesta covered in fibreglass and chickenwire and he's scratching the speed limit. If I were a police officer, I'd be inclined to stop the fiesta to conduct a routine check, but instead I notice your illegally spaced reg. plate, for that reason it's you that's breaking the law and therefore, you who needs to be stopped.

And it's for that reason that I totally agree with Greg.

Just because it's your car and you paid for the plate, it doesn't make you above the law! :roll:

An illegally spaced plate may not be dangerous and I'm sure many of us (myself included) have been guilty of running such plates. However, when pulled and fined you have no excuse to throw your toys out of the pram, just accept the officer is doing his job and the law is in place for various reasons.

Finally, I do hate it when people seem to think the police are victimising them because they drive a nice car. The Z3 is an affordable car, price isn't the reason 22 year olds are rarely seen behind the wheel, it's because most 22 year olds would rather spend their money on something more pratical, or put it towards their first house. I'm in my early twenties too and have never had a problem in my Z3; every time in the past that I have been pulled over, I have always been accountable for my actions and taken any fines/points on the chin.
Well really i have been victimised , he was behind me in the middle lane , i was in the right lane , right lane and middle lane are to go ahead ( right for right and ahead)
and the left is for turning left. infront of him there was a car that sped off who didnt see him . In the far left lane a person decided to go around the whole enitre round about and cut me straight up. Thats dangerous driving and nearly caused me to have a crash if i would have been going the proper speed limit and not under it.

Like i have said i have take it on the chin and accept the fine , just makes me laugh that i have had it for 3 years and never pulled over for it ! and theres a lot worse ones driving around .
Apolyon

M coupe S50

Post by Apolyon »

I agree with Lazeodoom, I am 24 now and in my 5 years of driving have never been pulled over. I have driven ST's, C Class's, 206, Galaxy, Elise, Range Rover Vogue, etc, and now the Z3MC. Been followed countless times and even managed to cut one up one morning but after a quick hand out the window apology they soon went past.

It helps to know what to look for in the un-marked cars in my area as well.
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

mrluke wrote:Well really i have been victimised , he was behind me in the middle lane , i was in the right lane , right lane and middle lane are to go ahead ( right for right and ahead)
and the left is for turning left. infront of him there was a car that sped off who didnt see him . In the far left lane a person decided to go around the whole enitre round about and cut me straight up. Thats dangerous driving and nearly caused me to have a crash if i would have been going the proper speed limit and not under it.

Like i have said i have take it on the chin and accept the fine , just makes me laugh that i have had it for 3 years and never pulled over for it ! and theres a lot worse ones driving around .
I guess they've been after you for 3 years, that'd explain why even hell breaking loose didn't deter them from stopping you instead.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Have to say I agree with Mike F, you have no-one to blame except your self. You were just lucky you weren't caught sooner. The way I look at it is whatever measures the police use to get speedier results in catching motorists who are uninsured etc etc and your general hoodlems of this world who might have just stolen your car or robbed your granny then the better.

Sorry no sympathy whatsoever, if I can drive around with a legal numberplate then I don't see why you shouldn't either.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

gina2201 wrote:Just get a normal spaced number plate and keep the car!

I've yet to be pulled in mine yet (only had it a week ,mind), 22 aswell so counting the days.... :lol:

Although sometimes because you are in a more respetctable car, say, than a chavvy corsa etc etc they don't expect you to not have insurance or what not. I've only ever been pulled once and that was when I was 17, a month after passing my test and had 6 people in the car. Oops. Just a little word of advice was given.
Ahem excuse me!!!

:wink:
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

It's much less hassle to get one that is conventionally spaced. This doesn't mean it can't be special though. :wink:

BTW That was a quick end to a beautiful relationship you two. :lol: :lol: :lol:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

gina2201 wrote: I've only ever been pulled once and that was when I was 17.
Those were the days eh! :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

whiteminks wrote:It's much less hassle to get one that is conventionally spaced. This doesn't mean it can't be special though. :wink:

BTW That was a quick end to a beautiful relationship you two. :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL and I have just realized my spelling mistake in the gallery thread eel!!!
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

TitanTim wrote:LOL and I have just realized my spelling mistake in the gallery thread eel!!!
Did someone say eel?...
321bhp

Not specified

Re: Blame

Post by 321bhp »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Don't blame the police, the ANPR system, or anything but yourself - even at 22, you are old enough to know that the format of a number plate is chosen by the law, rather than your own whims.

To think that you are somehow excused because you think it looks nice shows that you may also have the attitude that minor issues such as insurance, Mot, and driving licences do not matter either, which is why the poice like to pull those who advertise this attitude - they are likely to be good customers!

So stop whining about it, and accept that you brought this problem upon yourself.

Perhaps you could plead the defence that the number plate matched your usual style of spelling . . .
cant agree there,i mean surly its all to pc now,if a police officer can read your plate at say 50 metres it should be ok,ok mines a little spaced out but you can still read it clearly,this country is going bonkers,i know its the law,but some laws you can twist a little,the laws the law blah blah and all that,if they came out with a law tomorrow saying anybody driving a car with the roof down must now wear a crash helmet would you,id rather take a chance and drive mine with it spaced out,we all cant be mother theresa :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Apolyon

M coupe S50

Post by Apolyon »

That is a good point about the crash helmet with the top down... had not thought about it in that way before. Can you image what that would do to the soft top market?!?

We should delete this thread in case it gives the money stealing, tax loving, eco bunnies in London any ideas!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

yalden wrote:
TitanTim wrote:LOL and I have just realized my spelling mistake in the gallery thread eel!!!
Did someone say eel?...
LOL been playing the Piano too much today I reckon :dunce:
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

I've made views on mis-spaced or misrepresented plates known on this forum before, and for the record here is what I posted on a similar thread on 10th December 2007:

As the ‘keeper’ (none of us strictly ‘own’ our numbers) of two cherished registration numbers which don’t need to be mis-spaced, misrepresented or doctored in any way, I admit that I am probably biased, but I would just like to add my thoughts to this discussion.

What some people seem to forget is that the whole point of a car number is that it is an identifying mark, and it is therefore perfectly reasonable for the authorities to take a dim view of anybody who intentionally tries to ‘mask’ the real mark as something it isn’t. I just don’t see why any law abiding citizen should have a problem with that, and my only surprise is that the authorities don’t clamp down more on blatantly misrepresented numbers in these days when false plates are widely used in serious criminal activities (we’re not just talking motoring offences here) and it is essential that police can check instantly that a number tallies with the vehicle it is on.

Incidentally, whilst there might be some delay in an illegal plate causing a car to fail its MOT, I understand that the police are going to be a lot more stringent in stopping vehicles as from 1st January 2008, and that anybody given three warnings will have the number confiscated.

Having said all that, I think it is morally inept of the DVLA to openly sell numbers which clearly mean very little unless they are mis-spaced, and then complain when car owners do just that.
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

The UK is one of the very few countries which allows 3rd parties to produce number places. In most countries plates are issued by a national or regional government departments.

As I understand it the ANPR system was introduced in part to help the security services and police to track terrorists and criminals, not just those people without insurance and MOT's etc.
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

mrluke wrote:Its my car i have paid for the plate . if i dont want my car to appear on ANPR then it should be my choice.
:head: :head: :head:
z head

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by z head »

100GRA wrote:
mrluke wrote:Its my car i have paid for the plate . if i dont want my car to appear on ANPR then it should be my choice.
:head: :head: :head:
X2

I don't really want to get personal or abusive but my advice to Luke is "grow up"
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

lol sorry i was trolling a bit in this post as i knew it would wind quite a few people up..

i understand its againt the law ;) and i am really quite supprised i got away with it this long ! lol..

gives me a good excuse to sell it n e way ;)

have a good en people ! and dont misspace number plates !
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Pity the cops dont have something better to do, like preventing all the kids terrorising the neighbourhoods, if only those s*%ts were driving a Bentley with 'S1 MON' misspaced, then they would get caught, and it would serve them right for such a heinous and socially disruptive crime as misspacing!!. dont start me on whats wrong with this country's priorities!! Its always the easy target, that can pay a fine that boosts someones coffers that will be chosen
Last edited by gookah on Thu 18 Sep, 2008 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

[i][quote="100GRA"] and my only surprise is that the authorities don’t clamp down more on blatantly misrepresented numbers in these days when false plates are widely used in serious criminal activities (we’re not just talking motoring offences here) and it is essential that police can check instantly that a number tallies with the vehicle it is on.
quote]
Hmmm, so your local terrorist is going to bring attention to his stolen bomb-filled vehicle by altering his number plate? I dont think so,!!!
Yes he may steal a normal plate to disguise the vehicle, but please....., do you think he would risk 'BL 05AMA' on a van through Downing street,
knowing if it was 'BL05 AMA' the cops would wave him through??
Last edited by gookah on Thu 18 Sep, 2008 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Just checked on the DVLA reg site, BL05 AMA has been sold!! now is that a good thing or bad :? ?? Maybe its because its spaced correctly that no-one has found him yet!!! :head:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Too late...... i'm started!! aaaarrggggghhhhhhh :x
:lol: :lol:
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

gookah wrote: Hmmm, so your local terrorist is going to bring attention to his stolen bomb-filled vehicle by altering his number plate? I dont think so,!!!
Yes he may steal a normal plate to disguise the vehicle, but please....., do you think he would risk 'BL 05AMA' on a van through Downing street,
I think your missing the main point of them - they're not bomb detectors, and apart from any dubious use for registering speed, its so the details of a car can be checked instantly, so if it's stolen or wanted for some reason it will be flagged, but all cars have to have legal plates for it to work (ie you can't opt out just because you want a brushscript fonted plate).

It's like a Passport to a lesser degree, if you don't like the new Red EU style passports you can't start making your own with a different cover and layout, using a snap from your last holiday!
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

c_w wrote:
gookah wrote: Hmmm, so your local terrorist is going to bring attention to his stolen bomb-filled vehicle by altering his number plate? I dont think so,!!!
I think your missing the main point of them - they're not bomb detectors, and apart from any dubious use for registering speed, its so the details of a car can be checked instantly, so if it's stolen or wanted for some reason it will be flagged, but all cars have to have legal plates for it to work (ie you can't opt out just because you want a brushscript fonted plate).

It's like a Passport to a lesser degree, if you don't like the new Red EU style passports you can't start making your own with a different cover and layout, using a snap from your last holiday!

any decent car theif will swap the plates over any way when they get it to a decent location.

from driving it from the place u parked it up to driving it to there lair whats the chances of it being reported stolen and showing up on ANPR .

I have limited understanding on how ANPR works , but from what i can gather it uses some sort of wireless internet connection to the police database . Every 1 knows u can get wireless/GSM signal blockers so basically some 1 could wire one up to there car and make sure its ouputting a lot of power and im sure the police cars ANPR would become useless , because he would have to be in a decent range to use the system to read your plate anyway. If im totally wrong please some 1 correct me about it using a wireless system for the database.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

mrluke wrote
I have limited understanding on how ANPR works , but from what i can gather it uses some sort of wireless internet connection to the police database .
Unfortunately you do have a limited knowledge of ANPR. I have been told that when used as mobile units the essential data can be loaded onto the laptop in the police vehicle - so no wireless connection. Ever wondered whether the CCTV at motorway junctions are just CCTV cameras? These use the wired national motorway communications network that is currently being upgraded to fibre optic - this is the communication system that is used to control all the variable message signs.

The upside is that there is now a better chance of the police catching the people who might one day be planning car thefts, etc in the area where you or I live. Or get more of the uninsured drivers off the road by confiscating the vehicle. So I think that mis-spaced, or other non-conforming number plates might just get more attention as the systems become more widely used.
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

Zed Carer wrote:mrluke wrote
I have limited understanding on how ANPR works , but from what i can gather it uses some sort of wireless internet connection to the police database .
Unfortunately you do have a limited knowledge of ANPR. I have been told that when used as mobile units the essential data can be loaded onto the laptop in the police vehicle - so no wireless connection. Ever wondered whether the CCTV at motorway junctions are just CCTV cameras? These use the wired national motorway communications network that is currently being upgraded to fibre optic - this is the communication system that is used to control all the variable message signs.

The upside is that there is now a better chance of the police catching the people who might one day be planning car thefts, etc in the area where you or I live. Or get more of the uninsured drivers off the road by confiscating the vehicle. So I think that mis-spaced, or other non-conforming number plates might just get more attention as the systems become more widely used.
I understand that the information can be loaded into a database on a standalone device , but how do the updates come in ? they have to be sent via wireless otherwise the database will be out of date
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

mrluke wrote
I understand that the information can be loaded into a database on a standalone device , but how do the updates come in ? they have to be sent via wireless otherwise the database will be out of date
Upload at the start of the day and again at each of the shift changes during the data and the worse case is data 6 to 7 hours old. Generally they seem to be looking for vehicles believed to have been involved in more serious crimes.

One force local to me has "regular" evenings near a well used interchange, ANPR van, two or three cars (sometimes one is an ARV) plus a couple of bikes. Have heard that on a "good" night they might get a couple of hundred "hits".

Anything that gets the idiots off the road is OK by me.
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

seems a bit of a flawed system to me

within the space of 6 hours any thing could happen.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

the majority of those people who alter their plates is for personalisation, those who alter the letters or numbers to try and make it look like something else deserve to be pulled, but those who alter the spacing to make S1 MON look like S1MON arnt out to avoid detection, so dont hide behind that as a reason, If the APNR system cant spot that then it is as daft as your validation.
If it wasnt about generating money, then there would be points involved and no fine. Look at the last time the speeding penalty was changed, the fines were increased but not the points
I would rather pay £200 and no points for speeding, than £10 and 9 points , ....if they raised the points it would alter driving habits, but which did they choose?.....its all about money
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

I've been away for a few days, so I am just catching up with some of the above posts.

I'm not saying that mis-spacing or misrepresenting numbers should be a hanging offence, but what I am saying that having a law in place which makes it illegal to do so is perfectly reasonable. If people want to do it and risk being pulled up, that's up to them.

I can only repeat what I said earlier, that the whole point of having an identifying mark (which is what a car number is) is that a car can be identified easily and with the minimum of delay. :head: It's elementary, my dear WAT 50N.

Apart from the legality, and I speak as a long-time car number anorak who is totally in favour of people being able to acquire and display a cherished number, to drive around in a car with a number which has been buggered about ('scuse my French) is totally naff. What you are saying to the world is: "Look, I would really like to have a cool number which genuinely spells my name, or my make of car, or my job, or whatever, but in the meantime I am having to make do with this."

I saw a cracking number the other day: SU51 DAY. To be able to have that is almost worth changing your name to Susi Day for. A boy called Sue - didn't Johnny Cash sing a song about that?

[/i]
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Re SU51 DAY...

As a student teacher, I was going to buy EA51 SUM for £250 from DVLA, but decided not to. I may change my mind again, though.
Pingu
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

Speaking of SIMON plates, there is a red Gallardo spyder in Chelmsford with the plate GO51 MON