How does a snow plough miss the speed humps?

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

How does a snow plough miss the speed humps?

Post by Jamezee »

It's not a joke, I just wondered about it today when I saw one on a side road :?
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

The plow is an attachment which will have some kind of hydraulics on it that will raise and lower the plows height.

It would be funny to see a plow not raise in time and wipe out a hump.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

I think some of them have a small wheel fixed to the side of the plough,so if they are doing roads with known speed humps the wheel and plough will follow the contour of the road,and as the wheel goes over the hump it raises the plough.:D
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

How does the bloke who drives the snow plough get to work?

Dav the wheel nut
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

Dav wrote:How does the bloke who drives the snow plough get to work?
He does something that 90% of the british workforce forget they can do.......WALK

The amount of people that have shurked off today is probably crazy. Alot of people in this country have no work ethic. I walked over 1 hour to work. I'm old school...if you can breathe/walk you can work.

I fully understand if people are a great distance away from work places then they cant get to work but I know one person that lives 500-600 yards from there work and they didnt go in due to snow. Its only 4 inch deep with me. I'm just under 4 miles from my work. It was actually quite nice walking to work.

Also people with kids that are not in schools...fair enough stay home look after the kids.

I've had my rant now...... its my frustration of not being able to drive the Z3.
Gio

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gio »

Adam wrote:Also people with kids that are not in schools...fair enough stay home look after the kids.
I'm continually amazed that the schools close just because of a little bit of snow.
I can't remember losing a single day at school due to snow (and we had snow much worse than this).
We had a lot of fun during the breaks lobbing snow balls at the six formers and teachers :lol:
ImageImage
Stoned@Home

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Stoned@Home »

I drive about 42 miles to work,
I've had one snow day off work as employers canceled
my job due to helth & saftey, & alarm
engineers not showing up, being surrounded by armed police
makes for a stressful days work!

Work ethic, most of us in the UK have a better
work ethic than most of europe, & the planet.
The poles in this country have good work ethic...
Wouldn't you have if u can go to another country
& earn 6-8 times what u usally would?
I know a pole who came here to work for 2 years
as a bus driver, then go home to a fully paid for flat,
most of us have to work 15-25 years to pay for a property!
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

Adam wrote:
Dav wrote:How does the bloke who drives the snow plough get to work?
He does something that 90% of the british workforce forget they can do.......WALK

The amount of people that have shurked off today is probably crazy. Alot of people in this country have no work ethic. I walked over 1 hour to work. I'm old school...if you can breathe/walk you can work.

I fully understand if people are a great distance away from work places then they cant get to work but I know one person that lives 500-600 yards from there work and they didnt go in due to snow. Its only 4 inch deep with me. I'm just under 4 miles from my work. It was actually quite nice walking to work.

Also people with kids that are not in schools...fair enough stay home look after the kids.

I've had my rant now...... its my frustration of not being able to drive the Z3.
Wow you must be a joy to work with after you've walked all that way.
For what its worth it was a joke :roll:

Dav the wheel nut
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

Sorry I was also joking too..... a case of the internet forum misinterpretation of whats being said again.

maybe i should use more smillies to show that its in jest :wink:
:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

adam.
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

Dav the wheel nut
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Gio wrote:
Adam wrote:Also people with kids that are not in schools...fair enough stay home look after the kids.
I'm continually amazed that the schools close just because of a little bit of snow.
I can't remember losing a single day at school due to snow (and we had snow much worse than this).
We had a lot of fun during the breaks lobbing snow balls at the six formers and teachers :lol:
Im not a teaher but in their defense I think alot of the times they shut is purely down to teachers being unable to get in.Nowadays teachers do live further away than what they ever used to, when all your teachers when I was younger seemed to live local to the school they worked at.
Oh and both my kids schools were open today,all day. and they walked in.
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Hang_em_high wrote: Im not a teaher but in their defense I think alot of the times they shut is purely down to teachers being unable to get in.Nowadays teachers do live further away than what they ever used to, when all your teachers when I was younger seemed to live local to the school they worked at.
Oh and both my kids schools were open today,all day. and they walked in.
Not so in our area... both of my children's schools were shut (Lytham) however the school that my wife teaches in was open (Blackpool). All of the teachers made it in but most of the classes were only half full. Apparently the high absence rate was because parents were concerned that their kids would slip over and hurt themselves at school :roll:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Hang_em_high wrote:I'm not a teacher but in their defence I think alot of the times they shut is purely down to teachers being unable to get in.Nowadays teachers do live further away than what they ever used to, when all your teachers when I was younger seemed to live local to the school they worked at.
That's spot on. There's also a duty of care issue that the paranoid headteacher has to consider.
Pingu
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

the school i work at was open, we have teachers from notts/derby/south yorks/leicestershire, all made it in. however attendance rate for the kids was around 30%, which is appalling when alot of them live within a mile of the school. it annoys me when people slag off schools and teachers etc, when parents need to take some responsibility!

p.s not saying people here are, but in other places its all i hear
Arctic Silver 1997 (r) 1.9 z3
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

What have teachers and school kids got to do with snowploughs getting past speed bumps ? :?
Gio

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gio »

_wendy_ wrote:the school i work at was open, we have teachers from notts/derby/south yorks/leicestershire, all made it in. however attendance rate for the kids was around 30%, which is appalling when alot of them live within a mile of the school. it annoys me when people slag off schools and teachers etc, when parents need to take some responsibility!

p.s not saying people here are, but in other places its all i hear
Not having a go at teachers, but the stupid bloody nanny state we now live in.
ImageImage
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

At the end of the day it's safer all round.If the teachers and the children struggle to get to school in the morning and it continues to snow all day what chance would the teachers have of getting home safely and what chance would the parents have of collecting their kids :!: Imagine your kids stuck at school and your unable to get to them.
Mine are only young and no way would I want them stuck there.

That said mine have been everyday except for today as the school has now shut
Blame the councils for poor preparation and lack of road clearing,no on second thoughts blame mother nature for not considering that our kids need school and our Zed's need driving :lol:
danieltharris

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by danieltharris »

We should just copy what all the other countries do. The ones that have thick snow most of the year.

Why not just adopt whatever techniques they use? Buy some snow plows in cheap from abroad or something ha.

Don't most countries just plow the roads and not bother with grit/salt?

Out of interest anybody on here drive a gritting truck/snow plow? If so what is your job when it's not snowing? Guessing most are drivers for their local council but get pulled from their usual driving jobs?

Oh and i'm in no way slagging off the gritting/plow drivers we have. I think they do a great job considering the resources available. I was working contracted on a web project at a local authority recently and the office I was based in near the end had the call centre staff, they constantly got verbally assaulted over the phone people complaining their small side street wasn't gritted.

Get out with a spade with your neighbours if ya need to :)
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Well I was wondering about the snow ploughs and speed humps but may as well add my 2p's worth as weel.

I'm a teacher and tried to get in yesterday, I left home at 6.30am I got about 2 miles down the road, mainly sideways with the road camber, gravity, TC and ABS doing most of the driving! I ditched teh car and walked home.

The school was closed later that morning primarily due to teachers not being able to get in.

As you can tell from my spelling I'm head of PE at the school, my 2nd in department couldnt come in as the advice was not to travel on the m40 or indeed to leave Abbingdon without an emergency.

I live 20 miles from my school in Slough, teachers are due in tomorrow and i'm not looking forward to getting there or indeed back if the weather gets any worse. And like many people have said already usually the kids dont bother coming in anyway!

It is a shame really as now we will probably have to cancel our trip to watch Reading vs Newcastle on Saturday and disappoint the 45 pupils who have bought a ticket.

The way our roads are looked after is disgusting how do scandinavian countries and russia and places likethat cope? Surely we should just copy them?

OK my rant over, take care
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

How many companies close because of snow? very few, but one flake and the radio is announcing school closures everywhere, good job teachers don't work in hospitals, fire services etc.
Maybe the kids should be taught by gritter drivers, they always manage to get to work........ :D :D :dunce:

Now it's time to sit back and await the flak :lol:
Last edited by gookah on Thu 07 Jan, 2010 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Hang_em_high wrote: Im not a teaher
Good Job :D :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

well i scraped my car this morning in -6, however the scraping was mostly inside the car lol. then i made my way to work again on icy roads. was actually impressed at how well the car handled, not one slide at all. and yes, the school was open again and all staff made it. we are notts/derby border and have staff from south yorks, leicestershire, derbyshire, nottinghamshire.

was icy around school today but the caretakers worked hard all day putting grit around school, we are quite a large campus for a school and have 6 different building to get between, the site staff kept a clear path between each building all day. and school have had another 80 bags of grit delivered today and another 100 bags on order for next week. am actually quite proud of the way the school has carried on and rallied round. just wish parents were happy, seems if you close they are unhappy, if you stay open they are unhappy and keep kids off. no pleasing some people.

on subject of gritting, my younger bro has a job working nights accross cornwall gritting tesco car parks so people can panic buy at the shops. he has worked 12 hour nights, every night for last 2 weeks or so, on top of this he is still working during the day as a landscape gardner - and yes even in the snow he is still doing what he can. he is 22 years old and doing all he can to earn money etc. some young people should get more credit i feel.
Arctic Silver 1997 (r) 1.9 z3
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

gookah wrote:
Hang_em_high wrote: Im not a teaher
Good Job :D :D
No, im just keeping you safe everyday from muggers,murderers,rapist's and paedophiles.
So yes, your lucky im not a teacher.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

spurs fan in a coupe wrote:The way our roads are looked after is disgusting how do scandinavian countries and russia and places likethat cope? Surely we should just copy them?
It's quite easy - you make winter tyres a legal requirement in winter and then you just use a snowplough instead of fannying about with gritters and salt supplies. :P

I can just see the public outcry now if the UK passed such a law... :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Robert T wrote:
spurs fan in a coupe wrote:The way our roads are looked after is disgusting how do scandinavian countries and russia and places likethat cope? Surely we should just copy them?
It's quite easy - you make winter tyres a legal requirement in winter and then you just use a snowplough instead of fannying about with gritters and salt supplies. :P

I can just see the public outcry now if the UK passed such a law... :lol:

Cheers R.
I agree, we 'could' be prepared for any kind of weather like floods, snow and hurricanes etc.. but it all costs money which can only come from taxes. There could be fleets of snow ploughs sitting in deports waiting for action and grit buckets on every street corner, but the moment the government sent us the bill to pay for it we would complain.

We need to just suck it up and realise this doesn't happen very often and that we are not prepared top pay for it when it does. We also need to avoid getting sucked in by 24 hour news and their constant need to make the current report more dramatic than the ones 5 minutes ago.

Oh, and to the original posters question. Snow ploughs have little wheels on the bottom of the blade so they can follow the road contour. I saw it on an Oscar winning 24 hours news report yesterday.;)

Si.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

The bin trucks should be adapted so they can grit as they collect the bins.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Gio

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gio »

estocks wrote:The bin trucks should be adapted so they can grit as they collect the bins.
That wouldn't work, we haven't had our bins collected since it started snowing. :head:
ImageImage
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

estocks wrote:The bin trucks should be adapted so they can grit as they collect the bins.
They spread more than enough **it in our road when the empty the bins.
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

Problem with the salted grit is just that salt absorbs water. A pile of salted grit lies dormant all year from the previous winter and during the year the salt leaches out. When the first frost arrives and the need to grit the road arises then the grit put down has very little or no salt worth talking of in it. The council insist they are gritting and yes, they are but it is just grit with little effect on the ice. When new supplies arrive it appears that the council may have been telling porkies because now a well gritted road is showing no signs of ice due to the higher content of salt in the grit. After winter the grit should be returned for recycling but that would cost money.

Peter
99sei

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by 99sei »

rules for closing the schools are

1 - is it a safe enviroment - can all paths leading to the school be gritted and poeple cross the safely
2 - Can the school supply food and warmth for the children
3 - Are teachers able to get into school

Thats the order the head teacher will work in. We had a number of parents slip over on our school grounds, although we did stay open. We also had two teachers have an accident trying to get into school. Too much emphasis goes on health and safety now :?
lurch 1

blank

Snow plough.

Post by lurch 1 »

Snow plough problems here in local village, the council as usual created traffic calming measures by installing humps on road and by closing road width in to single lanes in form of S bends (chicanes) snow plough arrived and went over the obstacles ripping up the kerb stones and humps etc, must have damaged plough as well! :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

As opposed to just not emptying the bins - some residents have resorted to extreme measures! :P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/p ... html/1.stm

Cheers R.
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

Robert T wrote:
As opposed to just not emptying the bins - some residents have resorted to extreme measures! :P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/p ... html/1.stm

Cheers R.
That's a rubbish snowman.
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Thanks for the replies, I cannot see how the little wheel could work as some speed humps are not the full width of the road so would not detect the hump and I am sure that at the speed some ploughs travel at they could not avoid tearing speed humps up.
Ah well never mind..................
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Jamezee wrote:they could not avoid tearing speed humps up.
Oh, please, please, please, let it be so! I hate speedhumps, particularly in froggy, as I just don't have the ground clearance to drive over the little square ones. They make some roads almost impassable.

Cheers R.