Tyres

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
doozer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Tyres

Post by doozer »

Hi Folks, I have a 2.8 Z3 new tyres required 225 x 17 front 245 x 17 rear, what are a good make for this car please?
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Try Falken, I swear by them, been using them for the last 8 years no problems, except the first lot I bought for my Celica only lasted 6 months. Lot better now.
Dickyt

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dickyt »

Hello Doozer,

If you search Tyres on the forum you will find many post's on the subject - it appears tyre choice on a Z3 can make quite a huge difference to the way the car handle's / performs.

When I got my Z3 it had 3 different makes of tyres - a massive no no, as it made the ride very "nervous" to say the least. So go for the same make on all 4 wheels if you can.

I can only speak from my own experience - I fitted TOYO T1-R Proxes all round, as I have had these on my previous kit car & have found them superb. But my car is not a daily drive, so I don't deliberately go out in the wet etc, and only do about 3-4k a year mileage - so I don't have to worry about durability & bad weather properties in my tyres. I think the Toyo's use a slightly softer compound, so they grip like stink in the dry, and if I've been caught out in the rain they have been fine - let's just say they are great for more "spirited" driving!

Cost me £380.00 for a set of 4, with the tracking thrown in free.

Cheers

DickyT
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Loads of threads on this subject on here, but Falken 452's are probably the most popular choice. Great tyres and excellent price. I paid just under £300 for four (staggered fitment, 225/45 x 17 front and 245/40 x 17 rear) just over a year ago, fitted and balanced.

I followed the recommendations made on the Forum and am extremely happy with them.

Expect to pay between £325 - £350 currently and a lot of members recommend Event Tyres as suppliers;

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
doozer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by doozer »

Thanks folks, I have been advised that Hankook are pretty good, anyone got any experience of these?
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Dont think they make the roll of honour here

Who suggested them to you?
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
doozer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by doozer »

what about Avon ZZ3.s
MarkOliver

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by MarkOliver »

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's or Falken 452s
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

doozer wrote:Thanks folks, I have been advised that Hankook are pretty good, anyone got any experience of these?
doozer wrote:what about Avon ZZ3.s
I've used Avon ZZ3's and found them to be okay but noisy, but you have asked for suggestions as to the best tyres to use and whatever other Forum members have suggested, you've asked about another make.

I think that the question of tyres has been asked so many times, if you search for threads that mention tyre brands, you will have much to read.

From memory, Goodyear F1's, Michelin Pilot Sport and Falken 452's are probably the most positively rated tyres on the Forum.

If you fancy something different, put a set on and put your feedback on the Forum for the other members to share.

Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

I have used conti sport contacts all round for two years, had no problems with them handling wise but are a bit dear
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
doozer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by doozer »

Took you advice guys, new Falken 452's fitted today, what a diffferent car, thanks. £340.00
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

doozer wrote:Took you advice guys, new Falken 452's fitted today, what a diffferent car, thanks. £340.00
Me too :D
Just paid Event Tyres, £328 fitted and balanced :)
z head

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by z head »

Got to be Falken 452's IMHO
Springer

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Springer »

Event must have put their prices up for 452's or they made a mistake with me, I had 4 tyres fitted and balanced 27th July,price £311.32 :D
I have no complaints with the performance in the wet or dry, to-date :drive
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Springer wrote:Event must have put their prices up for 452's or they made a mistake with me, I had 4 tyres fitted and balanced 27th July,price £311.32 :D
I have no complaints with the performance in the wet or dry, to-date :drive
Could be to do with the sizes.

PORTMYSTER

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by PORTMYSTER »

Got loads of quotes now and Falkens come out the cheepest and value for money so will be booking in for the back pair for £170 balanced and fitted so not bad at all, he he.
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

I just had a new tyre fitted due to my puncture at the weekend. Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s all the way, been using them for the last 4 years. But I think they have stopped producing them in favour of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric.
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8