New 5 series Touring

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Tilly

M roadster S50

New 5 series Touring

Post by Tilly »

I currently have an E39 530 Touring. Although still a good car with 80,000 miles it is time to get a new one.

I have recently driven the new 530D saloon. This week I am testing the touring which has just been launched. It appears that the 525D is just slightly slower but thousands cheaper. Has anybody any comments on which touring to go for?
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

I read a recent review that, in summary says;

530d utterly brilliant

520d utterly brilliant and c£8k cheaper that 530d, so why get the 530d

I presume you can work out what the review of the 525 might read like...

I'm just waiting for a new list from out fleet manager to make sure I can get the touring rather than a saloon, which has a smaller boot than my E60 saloon!

Colours available are completely dull though.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

Thanks Stu.

I had an E34 touring for nine years, my current touring(530i) for just over nine years so I am a touring fan. Tomorrow I will borrow the 520D. Since I keep my cars for many years I am thinking of the 525D since it has no turbo and less to repair if it goes wrong. I have enquired about non run flat tyres and also winter tyres but as yet I have not got a reply.

The electric steering is much lighter than I am used to and it would be the first desiel I have owned. The 530D was quite a revelation to drive ,especially with the 8 speed automatic. So smooth an engine with so much power. I am unsure of the variable damper control. Is it worth almost £1000? The ride in the 530D was harsher compared with my current car but I am not sure if this is the run flats or the larger wheels that were fitted. I would stick with the 17 inch wheels and possibly not fit run flats. However there is no room for a spare. So like the ZM I would probably need a sealant and compressor.
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

Drove the 520D touring yesterday and noticed a number of differences between it and the 530D saloon I drove a few days ago.

The 520 engine from the outside was much noisier than the six cylinder version. However, the performance was quite good. The ride was much better probably because it was on 17 inch wheels rather than the 19 inch ones on the saloon.

Car drove well and was nicely put together. The rear seat is much lower and it is difficult for rear passengers to see out of the front. The window height is much narrower than in the E39 and with a black interior the car initially appears somewhat claustrophobic. A lighter interior colour does change that feeling.

One small problem is in the back, the hinge at the base of the rear seat, although covered with padding can press into the base of the spine. The whole family felt this. In our current car the base of the sear does not have this intrusion.

The net outcome is I have just placed an order for a 525D Touring with Automatic gearbox, variable damper control, heated seats, xenon headlights with high-beam assistance and adaptive steering. I have also included a DAB radio and a sport steering wheel.

So one 530i Touring is up for sale.