A reminder for us all :-(

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

A reminder for us all :-(

Post by Jonttt »

This story is doing the rounds on other forums, a sad and "sober" reminder to be sensible, obviously a car nut like most of us RIP

News Story

His recent posts
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
unclemart

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by unclemart »

scary thought :(
I wonder how fast you have to be going before the collision to rip the car in two ?
Remember "To become old and wise - First you need to be young and stupid"

Titanium Silver 2.0
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

2litrezed wrote:scary thought :(
I wonder how fast you have to be going before the collision to rip the car in two ?
Probably not as fast as you may think as the forces are generated by the momentum, a property of the squre of the velocity and the mass involved.

The car's not usually loaded sideways on, in a bending path and hitting a 'tree' (opposed to sapling) is always going to be big.

RIP Brian.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
6 pot roadster

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 6 pot roadster »

Sorry STU, I disagree.
In order for the rear of the car to separate there needs to be sufficeint force generated by the mass of the boot, fuel tank and contents to rip the car in two. The visable damage in these photo's shows that a huge amount of momentum was used in the deformation of the bodyshell before tearing the remainder into two pieces.
I suggest that he was travelling at speeds that could be measured as well in Mach as much as mph...