FairFuelUK

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
TaffZee

blank

FairFuelUK

Post by TaffZee »

If you have not already done this, please see this site, if everyone in the UK does this it just may get a response. Send an e mail direct to your MP, and dont forget also to sign the petition :thumb: That can be found on this site... You could also buy a sticker? please Give this campaign your full support.

FairfuelUK

Full backing is being given by the FTA (Freight Transport Association+others)
So if we can get the public sector on board as well the planned fuel price rise in April may not happen.

The plan is to increase fuel by 5p per litre :evil: Over £6 per Gallon soon :shock:

Do It Now Before its to late...
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Petition signed.
Mail to MP sent.
Stickers Purchased.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

What they should do is apply these taxes to those who voted for Blair and Brown..

:twisted:

oh no, wait, that wouldn't work as those people are either on benefit or massively rich..
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

If this unelected bunch of amateurs can cheerfully knock holes in the police and NHS staffing, what chance does a petition have (with the media muzzled on the sublect) in influencing them with their favourite cash-cow?

...and don't get me started on the bank bitches!!!

Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Mr Silver wrote:If this unelected bunch of amateurs
I understood that the current incumbents were formed according to our constitution i.e. the Queen invited them to form a government based upon the outcome of an electoral process. Are you suggesting that something else happened? :shrug
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Springer

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Springer »

Well done Jim

Petition signed & e-mail sent to MP, pleased to see Aberconwy (Con) MP is already supporting the campaign

Don't blame this government for the mess the last lot left us in "Mr Silver" :head: .
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Mr Silver wrote:If this unelected bunch of amateurs can cheerfully knock holes in the police and NHS staffing, what chance does a petition have (with the media muzzled on the sublect) in influencing them with their favourite cash-cow?

...and don't get me started on the bank bitches!!!

My Wifes a Nurse, I dont want to be paying £6 a gallon for my fuel.

Doing something and letting the goverment know how the population feels, is better than sitting back and doing nothing.

If the fuel price continues to rise at the rate it is at the moment along with the tax increases proposed in April the implications are frightning. At least have your say!
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Petition Signed and Email sent.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

My boss has an interesting view on this ........ he wants fuel prices to go much higher = less cars on the road = he can have more fun :roll:

The fundemental question is whether or not fuel should be classed as a luxury or necessity...... this would have a massive implication on how duty/tax was applied.

If things don't change then fuel really will become a luxury item as only the rich will be able to afford it.

ps I'll let all the "green" do gooders step in now who will confirm how we can all live our lives better without the evils of the internal combustion engine and get on our bike :head:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Not wishing to hiss on the bonfire, but wasn't this sort of thing done 10 years back, petitions and the tanker drivers striking and hauliers doing slow rolling blocks on the motorways? I seem to remember queuing for fuel at the time, and what did that achieve? I think it was zilch, correct me if I'm wrong?

Petitions........complete waste of time. Do you think the poor folk in Libya are signing petitions :?

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Springer wrote:Well done Jim

Petition signed & e-mail sent to MP, pleased to see Aberconwy (Con) MP is already supporting the campaign

Don't blame this government for the mess the last lot left us in "Mr Silver" :head: .
I've no doubt that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember the pre-election promise of a 'fuel price stabiliser' which probably earned this shower a few votes. I haven't seen any signs yet, though.

It wont matter much anyway, because the current problems in the Middle East will almost inevitably lead to an increase in the price of crude and then to petrol. I don't think that the price of fuel will stop at £6 per gallon!!!

The price of fuel has certainly changed my driving style. A 20+ mile each way commute dictates that I have to drive like a vicar and get the best part of 50mpg out of my diesel daily driver.

Like smokers (and I'm not one) the motorist is a cash cow for the Government (regardless of whether they're Con, Lab or not sure) and will continue to be so. We all value the freedom that driving offers plus the fact that outside of the major cities, public transport is cr*p.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Jeez All I asked is for you sign the Bl**dy petition, not to start a debate :head:
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

TitanTim wrote:Not wishing to hiss on the bonfire, but wasn't this sort of thing done 10 years back, petitions and the tanker drivers striking and hauliers doing slow rolling blocks on the motorways? I seem to remember queuing for fuel at the time, and what did that achieve? I think it was zilch, correct me if I'm wrong?

Petitions........complete waste of time. Do you think the poor folk in Libya are signing petitions :?

Tim.
A lot of people gave time and money to try to get the fuel prices down at the time, the reason it failed? lack of support from the british public, as soon as it started to hit home what did the public do? winge, moan, and turn on the hauliers because it became an inconvienience.

I am not just worried about fuel prices for us to go for drives in our Zeds, this will put a lot of people on the dole, and close a lot of small companies, will cause our cost of living to go through the roof, if its transported the price will go up.

The current situation in the oil producing countries is going to push fuel prices through the roof, we know that, what we dont want is the rip off goverment jumping on the band wagon and also adding to the problem, the rise is on duty nothing to do with the price of oil.

But I expect again we will all go around moaning and bitching about the cost of fuel, but do nothing about it because? WE CANT BE BOTHERED. :head:

Think about it, we run 100 wagons doing around 100,000 miles per week, so we use 50,000 litres of fuel per week a 5p increase will be £2,500 per week increase on our fuel bill £130,000 per year, Who will pay for this? YOU and ME.
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

TaffZee wrote: A lot of people gave time and money to try to get the fuel prices down at the time, the reason it failed? lack of support from the british public, as soon as it started to hit home what did the public do? winge, moan, and turn on the hauliers because it became an inconvienience.

I am not just worried about fuel prices for us to go for drives in our Zeds, this will put a lot of people on the dole, and close a lot of small companies, will cause our cost of living to go through the roof, if its transported the price will go up.

The current situation in the oil producing countries is going to push fuel prices through the roof, we know that, what we dont want is the rip off goverment jumping on the band wagon and also adding to the problem, the rise is on duty nothing to do with the price of oil.

But I expect again we will all go around moaning and bitching about the cost of fuel, but do nothing about it because? WE CANT BE BOTHERED. :head:
I too am in the transport industry and fully understand the implications of the increase in fuel prices to the economy. Inflation is too high, caused in part by the increased cost of fuel, which will inevitably cause interests rates to go up, cause people to lose jobs due to business closures and their homes due to the cost of borrowing.

But, if I cannot buy fuel and get to work, I can't pay my bills. If the trucks don't move because there is a fuel shortage as there was in 2000, there's no food in the shops, no papers to read. We all look after our own interests, as another thread here proved recently, so I don't think it's because we can't be bothered, it's the thought of queueing for hours to top up our tanks that's the problem.

As I said earlier in the thread, the Conservative Party promised us some kind of fuel stabiliser as part of their election promises, which was probably just a carrot to woo the undecided voters.

TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Mouldy wrote:
TaffZee wrote: A lot of people gave time and money to try to get the fuel prices down at the time, the reason it failed? lack of support from the british public, as soon as it started to hit home what did the public do? winge, moan, and turn on the hauliers because it became an inconvienience.

I too am in the transport industry and fully understand the implications of the increase in fuel prices to the economy. Inflation is too high, caused in part by the increased cost of fuel, which will inevitably cause interests rates to go up, cause people to lose jobs due to business closures and their homes due to the cost of borrowing.

But, if I cannot buy fuel and get to work, I can't pay my bills. If the trucks don't move because there is a fuel shortage as there was in 2000, there's no food in the shops, no papers to read. We all look after our own interests, as another thread here proved recently, so I don't think it's because we can't be bothered, it's the thought of queueing for hours to top up our tanks that's the problem.

As I said earlier in the thread, the Conservative Party promised us some kind of fuel stabiliser as part of their election promises, which was probably just a carrot to woo the undecided voters.
You have totally missed the goal, this has nothing to do with the cost of fuel this is going to increase whatever we do and is out of our control..

They are not threatining mass blockades of fuel distribution points, Its the extra increase in Fuel Duty that the goverment plan in April that the protest is about... Every litre sold at the pumps makes the goverment 60p thats nearly 50% tax, I for one think that this % of taxation is more than enough.

Its also about getting the support of your MP. Check out the website, the list of MP,s Highlighted in Green have given support to the protest, this is increasing Daily, so its not just a petition. But along with the backing of MP's and the actual signed petition will have a massive sway against the increase being passed....
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

billz wrote:Petition Signed and Email sent.
bill
:thumb:
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Springer wrote:Well done Jim

:thumb:
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

As been mentioned, the "duty" on fuel is bigger than the cost of fuel itself and has always been an easy way to rake it in. I wonder where these billions will come from IF fuel as we know it was not available...

If the cost of fuel was merely the base fuel cost + 20% VAT + 5p for the retailer we'd be partying in the streets as it'd be around 55-60p. So you can see that it could be reduced to £1/litre quite easily and the government still take a hefty 50% tax (Duty and VAT combined) from each litre sold. Even in recent years £1 was unfavourable but I think we'd all be happy with £1/litre now!!!
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Doesnt this make you mad?? or are you going to lie down and die..

The petrol strike of 2000 scared the government into realising that drivers weren't going to take any more, and they put fuel tax rises on hold, but when they thought people had forgotten, they put them up again.

Britain has some of the highest fuel taxes in the western world.

In the USA, the federal government impose a tax equivalent to 2.13p per litre, and states impose an additional tax of up to the equivalent of 5.29p per litre, that's a maximum of 7.42p per litre. In the UK it is 58.95p per litre. Which means drivers in Britain are taxed nearly 7 times more that drivers in the USA.
And that's without VAT!

:shrug
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There is some very dodgy maths going on here - the reality is much worse - based on the numbers in c_w's petrol pump above, the basic percentages are:

46.5% Duty
32.9% Product
16.7% VAT
3.9% Retailer

So Duty+VAT is a whopping 63.1% of the cost of a litre of fuel.

But it gets worse - they are the relative proportions - the tax you actually pay, expressed as a percentage of the product + retailer/distribution costs is:

125.9% Duty
45.2% VAT

So Duty+VAT is an enormous 171.1% on top of the actual price of a litre of fuel.

And no, I have not made an error in my VAT calculation above - VAT is also paid on the Duty component as well.

Although Duty is a fixed price, VAT is a percentage, so as the base cost goes up, the VAT does too, and when they increase Duty by a penny, the VAT percentage also grows.

Now if only I could get away with selling software licences with such a pricing strategy. The government are thieving robbing barstewards!

R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I think the figures are the same just expressed differently. I would have though it clear from the diagram that VAT is added to the Duty + Costs + Retail as it's always a final addition to the total pre-vat costs.

My statement of charging £1/litre and the government still take 50% should read as 50% of the price of the fuel we pay, but this can be expressed as 100% tax of course! That is normally how fuel tax is expressed, ie "80% of what you pay is tax", but the fuel price is actually taxed at well over 100% as you have demonstrated.
Springer

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Springer »

Hey just read a good book....

"The Taff That Kicked Over The Hornets Nest" :devil:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

TaffZee wrote:Doesnt this make you mad?? or are you going to lie down and die..

The petrol strike of 2000 scared the government into realising that drivers weren't going to take any more, and they put fuel tax rises on hold, but when they thought people had forgotten, they put them up again.

In the USA, the federal government impose a tax equivalent to 2.13p per litre, and states impose an additional tax of up to the equivalent of 5.29p per litre, that's a maximum of 7.42p per litre. In the UK it is 58.95p per litre. Which means drivers in Britain are taxed nearly 7 times more that drivers in the USA.
And that's without VAT!

Completely agree TaffZee and not disputing but signing petitions etc is still a complete waste of time. Duty is one of the largest income pullers and in these times of the Gov't saving its pennies the likelyhood of the Gov't reducing taxation whether it be fuel duty etc is a non starter. Besides the way the government is slashing jobs no-one will be able to afford it anyways :(

Tim.
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

We'll I've signed the petition and e mailed my MP, took 5 mins of my time.
Thanks for the link Taffzee :thumb:
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

And that's without VAT!

One thing to remember here is that we are not American. We may aspire to be, with our 24/7 shopping habit and claims culture etc. neither of which I see as a benefit to our lifestyle.

Here's a link to a website that shows fuel prices across Europe;

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html

Yes, we have some of the most expensive diesel prices in Europe, but there are several countries where our beloved unleaded is considerably more.

The Government is pressing ahead with many changes to the economy, like pushing University education out of the reach of many less well off students and throwing hundreds of thousands of people onto the dole. Our society is going to change massively over the next few years and the social divide that separates the rich from the poor will grow even more.

Our road network is crumbling from a lack of investment and maintenance and the railways are largely overcrowded and too expensive, having suffered from a lack of investment over the years.

We are unable to generate enough of our own electricity and cable it in from Europe and pipe gas in from Russia.

In my opinion, there is a lot more wrong with this country than just high fuel costs.

On the other hand we could have been really lucky and live in Christchurch, Libya or so many other places in the World that would love to have a standard of living as low as ours.

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Well at the moment, the Gov't can't even arrange a plane to bring back a few peeps stuck in Libya :roflmao: and the Deputy Prime Minister had apparently forgotten what his role is in this situation :roflmao:

I wonder how these elected persons would have coped in our Finest Hour :(

Tim.
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

TitanTim wrote:

And that's without VAT!

Completely agree TaffZee and not disputing but signing petitions etc is still a complete waste of time. Duty is one of the largest income pullers and in these times of the Gov't saving its pennies the likelyhood of the Gov't reducing taxation whether it be fuel duty etc is a non starter. Besides the way the government is slashing jobs no-one will be able to afford it anyways :(

Tim.

Arghh, wish you would look at the website???? and read previous posts

Not asking for a reduction, asking not to increase in April, reason because the fuel is set to go through the roof....If your time is so precious dont sign! Simples!
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Mouldy Wrote:
One thing to remember here is that we are not American.

Damn I thought I was living in the good old USA :shock:

I will have to remember this in future :head:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

TaffZee wrote:
TitanTim wrote:

And that's without VAT!

Tim.

Arghh, wish you would look at the website???? and read previous posts

Not asking for a reduction, asking not to increase in April, reason because the fuel is set to go through the roof....If your time is so precious dont sign! Simples!
I did do at the start of your thread :wink: however reduction, increase doesn't really matter :? Perhaps I'm too much of a realist :lol:

Tim.
Tiggerr

Z3 roadster 1.9

fairfuel

Post by Tiggerr »

Petition signed, e mail sent
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

TaffZee wrote:Mouldy Wrote:

Why compare our taxation to theirs, then?

Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Sadly, we all know that ultimately we'll lie down and accept the inevitable.

1984 and all that :(
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Mouldy wrote:
TaffZee wrote:Mouldy Wrote:

Why compare our taxation to theirs, then?

Mmmm lets see, Comparison.. And if the US goverment tried to increase the tax it would cause a big revolt against the goverment, and the goverment know it....
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

I got a letter from my MP today which I thought was an extremely swift response but then I read the contents which basically said...

We blame the current Government for everything
Noted your point

She must have just told her secretary to send me the "bog standard reply to most letters" and she got it out in the Friday night post.

Let's hope the petition receives more attention :shock:
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

snoops wrote:I got a letter from my MP today which I thought was an extremely swift response but then I read the contents which basically said...

We blame the current Government for everything
Noted your point

She must have just told her secretary to send me the "bog standard reply to most letters" and she got it out in the Friday night post.

Let's hope the petition receives more attention :shock:
Well done snoops, at least were trying, it cant hurt to support the campaign, Big bag of buttons in May reseverd for you :wink:
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

TaffZee wrote: Big bag of buttons in May reseverd for you :wink:
zedwheels

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Post by zedwheels »

Hi Jim
Just sent off my form strongly stating my support for a hold on
yet more "TAX"
What are these buttons that have made snoops so happy, and you keep them in your boot, take them out increased weight will add to fuel costs you know!! :lol: :roll:
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

zedwheels wrote:Hi Jim
Just sent off my form strongly stating my support for a hold on
yet more "TAX"
What are these buttons that have made snoops so happy, and you keep them in your boot, take them out increased weight will add to fuel costs you know!! :lol: :roll:

Well Done zedwheels :thumb:

Buttons!

:P
zedwheels

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Post by zedwheels »

AHHH I get it now!! :lol: :lol: :head:
Any news yet on the April fun run?
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

zedwheels wrote:AHHH I get it now!! :lol: :lol: :head:
Any news yet on the April fun run?
Still waiting for my wife to get her Rota, should have it over the next week or two.
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Reply from My MP:

Dear Mr Jones,
Thanks for your email on this.

Several people have contacted me about this and I agree it’s really important.

I campaigned hard against the VAT rise which has put 3p per litre onto petrol, and I’m sorry that the Tories haven’t realised how much difficulty that has caused for people. They have talked a lot about a fuel stabiliser but haven’t delivered – so far they have only increased the price of petrol through the VAT rise.

Ed Balls wrote an article in the Sun last week calling for the government not to put anything extra on fuel in the Budget. I hope George Osborne thinks carefully about that.

I’ve also asked several Parliamentary Questions about the cost of Heating Oil, which has soared recently. That market is not regulated well and needs to be reformed.

Best wishes,

Susan Elan Jones MP

One thing She has not done is commited to the Campaign so reply sent:

Dear Susan, Thank you kindly for responding to my e mail, One thing you do not state is if you can commit to support this campaign, a good number of MP’s have already committed, Please see the website: http://www.fairfueluk.com/is_your_mp_supporting.html. I hope you will consider supporting this worthwhile cause.

Respectfully yours

James Jones
zedwheels

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Post by zedwheels »

Well Jim at least you have had a reply, but there i only mailed over the week end so think i'm asking too much of a parlimentary member, they dont work too quickly do they. :head:
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Update: see below..

Great news for all FairFuelUK Campaign Supporters

Assuming there are no issues with any unforeseen Government's priorities, we have just been notified that there will be "the FairFuelUK debate" in the House of Commons on Tuesday November 15th. This is fantastic news.
The Campaign team wishes to thank Natascha Engel MP, Chair of the Back Bench Business Committee, who schedules Government allocated time to such important issues for debate. She has responded very quickly to the intense pressure the campaign and its supporters has put onto all MPs and her Committee in the last few days.
We wish to thank the 100,000 FairFuelUK ePetitioners, our 200,000 FairFuelUK website followers and the 11,000 supporters who rallied to email their local MPs over the last weekend. Without this pressure, we may have not got the debate. A BIG BIG THANK YOU.
Many thanks too, to Robert Halfon MP and his team for driving through the ePetition and the motion to be debated through the Back Bench Business Committee process. This was not an easy task.
Of course this is just the next stage in the Campaign for lower fuel duty and prices. There is still a long battle ahead. SO, please lobby your MP to attend this debate. We do not wish to see any empty seats in the House on this momentous FairFuelUK day.
Best wishes
The FairFuelUK Campaign team
The RAC, FTA and RHA
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

OK tax on fuel is a killer, but seriously, no government will ever considerably reduce that. Would any of us want to reduce substantially one of our main sources of income? No, and neither would any govermnent.
May be get 1 or 2p a litre reduction from this, and we all go away happy? yeah right, our petition won us a 1% cut, wowee let's all fill up to celebrate.

All politicians are the same whatever allegiance,
they have to raise money to keep the country running, and cut out things that they believe are luxuries that we can do without. We all have to do it with our own households, by trying to earn as much as possible and reduce outgoings, and most of us too have to borrow from time to time.

Problem is governments have different views on what are luxuries and what are necessities, similar to why some people still choose to go to the pub but let their kids eat junk claiming they cant afford to feed and clothe them properly. Priorities are mixed up everywhere in life.

I dont see the point of blockades at distributors, It doesn't stop the use of fuel, only postpones it, it has no impact other than inconveniencing all of us.
What is the next one? food prices going up so lets blockade all the food distributors? sooner or later we will all need to eat, and likewise sooner or later we will all need that fuel.

Maybe one answer is to boycott one supplier at a time for 1 month/6 months whatever. No-one buys from BP, you can still get fuel elsewhere, and BP have to do something to regain sales. Then move onto Shell etc.etc

This could also be done with all of the supermarkets to get pricing down, Everyone boycott Tesco's for a couple of month's and use the other supermarkets, then move on to Asda etc etc.
There is only one way to tempt us back, and we suffer no inconvenience whatsoever.
and although tax is the biggest percentage I bet the fuel suppliers would have to reduce the prices more than any goverment would

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

gookah wrote:OK tax on fuel is a killer, but seriously, no government will ever considerably reduce that. Would any of us want to reduce substantially one of our main sources of income? No, and neither would any govermnent.
May be get 1 or 2p a litre reduction from this, and we all go away happy? yeah right, our petition won us a 1% cut, wowee let's all fill up to celebrate.

All politicians are the same whatever allegiance,
they have to raise money to keep the country running, and cut out things that they believe are luxuries that we can do without. We all have to do it with our own households, by trying to earn as much as possible and reduce outgoings, and most of us too have to borrow from time to time.

Problem is governments have different views on what are luxuries and what are necessities, similar to why some people still choose to go to the pub but let their kids eat junk claiming they cant afford to feed and clothe them properly. Priorities are mixed up everywhere in life.

I dont see the point of blockades at distributors, It doesn't stop the use of fuel, only postpones it, it has no impact other than inconveniencing all of us.
What is the next one? food prices going up so lets blockade all the food distributors? sooner or later we will all need to eat, and likewise sooner or later we will all need that fuel.

Maybe one answer is to boycott one supplier at a time for 1 month/6 months whatever. No-one buys from BP, you can still get fuel elsewhere, and BP have to do something to regain sales. Then move onto Shell etc.etc

This could also be done with all of the supermarkets to get pricing down, Everyone boycott Tesco's for a couple of month's and use the other supermarkets, then move on to Asda etc etc.
There is only one way to tempt us back, and we suffer no inconvenience whatsoever.
and although tax is the biggest percentage I bet the fuel suppliers would have to reduce the prices more than any goverment would
You are missing the bigger picture, Fuel costs impact everything we do, a cut of 2% on fuel prices can have a masive impact to hauliers and suppliers. this is not about how much we the general public have to pay for the fuel, fuel costs make and break both small and large companys all over the world.

Of course we the general public benifit from fuel price cuts, but the cost to companys who are spending millions of pounds per week for fuel are massive.

We as a small haulage firm, use £200,000 of fuel per week this is all passed to our customer's who then passes it on to the general public.
Imagine what a major Companies bill is, its all about getting the country back on its feet.

How can we recover? when businesses all over the country are cutting back and ceasing trading, were heading for a total meltdown, if fuel costs continue to rise.

Make no doubt about it high fuel prices are hampering our recovery.

THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE, MP'S, COMPANIES AND ORGANISATIONS HAVE SPENT MONEY AND TIME TO GET THIS FAR, THIS IS NOT A THREAT TO BLOCK DEPOTS AND FUEL DISTRIBUTION CENTRES. BUT A LEGITIMATE ATTEMPT TO REDUCE FUEL COSTS. THE COST OF FUEL IS HURTING THIS COUNTRY. THIS DESERVES YOUR FULL SUPPORT

This campaign is being supported all over the country, including the RHA. So why not give it a chance, Ime sure if it does get a result you wont refuse any cut in the fuel for your cars.

RHA
Zteve

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zteve »

TaffZee , Well put and fully agree, I have emailed my MP to asked for his attendance on the 15th, any reduction has to help, as you say this is not about the price at the pump for our pleasure cars but the economy and jobs, without which we would have no pleasure cars to fill up...
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

I suggest that taxes of all types will continue to rise unless something is done to cap immigration.The government has to obtain money from somewhere to fund the climbing benefits bill.

So it makes more sense to sign the following petition as well.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/19658

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

How's about keeping the pump price the same by reducing the duty, but increasing the VAT.

As businesses can reclaim the VAT, the net cost will be less and the savings can be passed on as reduced transport costs.

I suspect that the transport firms will just see it as free money and not pass on the savings. Just like the banks saw the bail-out as free money.
Pingu
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Of course everthing is affected by the cost of transporting it,
I equally don't want to pay 25% VAT because of a 5p a litre saving, or however else this 'lost' revenue will be raised in some other backhand way, in 12 months time fuel will have raised by that or probably more anyway blamed on the cost per barrel.

I am not advocating that fuel tax is right or proper, yes the percentage, that is tax, is rediculous, I'm just saying that if it isnt taken off us in fuel based haulage costs, it will be taken elsewhere, or if not, by losing jobs from another sector.
and that may be OK when your RHA link is reporting
"Drivers did better however. It was estimated that there were 299,000 HGV drivers in 2010, 5% more than in 2009. Around 270,000 were employees and 29,000 were self-employed.

Only 5,620 people claiming Jobseekers’ Allowance were HGV drivers in July 2011, a fall of 63% compared to March 2009."

try telling that to the public sector workers who will lose jobs because of loss of this goverment income.

We will still pay, regardless of which way it is collected.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Epetion

Post by fish »

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk

Hi, do your bit….search for Tax under E-petitions….