Looking to buy my first Z3.... Advice Please

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
quik99

Z3 roadster 1.9

Looking to buy my first Z3.... Advice Please

Post by quik99 »

Hi All,

I am new to this club and completely new to the German scene! In the past i have owned 106 gti's, Clio 172, 172 Cup and now own a Clio 182 Cup which i have to say is good fun!

Im thinking of a change and perhaps looking into the roadster world for something a little different.

I have a budget of around 5k and would like to know what to look for and which model to go for in a Z3.

I have seen a 1.9 1999 Z3 for sale near me with 67k on the clock in "oxford green"..... i went to have a look and have to say it is very tidy.

What, if any, are the main differences between the 1.9 engines and the 2.0/2.2 ..... is there any real advantage to having one or the other?

Thanks and sorry if im asking stupid questions! All new to me these Z3's :)
clacedogg

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by clacedogg »

I have driven both the 1.9 and 2.2, currently have a 2.2 and there is a noticeable difference! Can't beat a good straight 6 8-)

Either way you go you will be very happy especially with the nice weather!

Welcome to the site, happy posting :D

Chris
quik99

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by quik99 »

Thanks mate,

I guess i am looking for an engine with a bit of punch to it, but its mainly about the drive for me, and feeling "involved" with the car.

In terms of reliability/faults.... are there any well known things to look out for?
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Its a welcome from me too :wave i bought my first zed just over a year ago, never had a soft top and love it to bits - the smile is still there especially when the sun is out and the top down, a great little car, loads of info on here to help you (if you can find it :wink: ,the search button isnt always helpful) but ask away, lots of enthusiasts with tons of knowledge to help you out, and the best engine, 2.8 :D :D :D :D

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Hiya quik and welcome.
If its a bit of punch your after go for a 2.8,you can get a decent one for
£4500-£5000. You can even pick up a 3.0ltr. for £5000.
I`ve just gone from a 2.2 to a 3.0ltr and what a difference :twisted:
Maurice
quik99

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by quik99 »

Thanks guys, much appreciated :)

Has anyone driven the 1.9? if so, how does it compare to the 2.2?
Zteve

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zteve »

Just go and get one, you won’t regret it….
:D

I have the 2.8, massive step up from my previous soft tops (Spitfire & MG’s) no comparison really, loving it and although I don’t contribute on here being a learner of the BMW and Z3 the info from the guys that do contribute is first class… :thumb:
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

You can't beat the smoothness or the noise of the straight six!

I have the 2.0 6cyl, and is a good drive but would suggest the 2.8 or 2.2 or 3.0 if you want a bit of oomph... Mines not slow, but does need to be driven harder than I would like to at times... :evil:

Gaz.
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

If you get the 1.9 and do want a bit of umph then you could end up kicking yourself for not getting a bigger engine. Quite a few are happy with there 1.9s. i would suggest going through the range before you decide. If it is umph your after then its got to be either the 2.8 or 3.0.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Welcome to the forum.

The problem is that "a bit of oomph" means different things to different people.

The 1.9 is nimble and fun t throw around corners but ultimately it will no give the "shove in the back" torquey push that the larger engines with.

The main thing you need to decide is if you want a striaght 6 engine. To me its what differentiates BMW from the pack and so personally like for like I would always take the 6 over the 4 cylinder.

The 2.2 which came out later in the range is widely regarded as probably the best all round engine for the Z3. Its torquey and has one of the best sounding engines across the range. They do however command a higher price for this.

You really can't beat driving a few though and seeing what suits your needs best.

Get to know the range a little:

<04/99 Facelift narrow v widebodied
>04/99 Facelift

Some people prefer the older pre facelift shape and vice versa.

You can download a brochure HERE and price list HERE for the 2001 range which includes the 2.2 in both sport and non sport version. Get to know the options (sport seats, air con, etc....) so you know what your looking at ;-) but most of all enjoy the search.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
zedwheels

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Post by zedwheels »

Hi. I have never owned a soft top before this one. When i was looking around for the model i wanted i thought about other things as well like the insurance group, i also thought at the time that a 2ltr with the straight six above the four would be more popular for resale when i want to trade up.
I must say that i'm not at all dissapointed with the performance or fuel consumption with this machine, it makes me feel good, cant wait for some more :sunny days! Which ever model you chose your gonna feel the same, its a car that ha street cred.
Happy shopping.
zedwheels

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Post by zedwheels »

Maurice,
Gotta say man i love the look of that one! I bet you got your little hair dryer on that every morning. :thumb: :drive
jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

If you want a decent one have a look at my 2.8

jontymo
1998 2.8 Roadster "Gone but not forgotten"
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Jonttt wrote:Welcome to the forum.

The problem is that "a bit of oomph" means different things to different people.

The 1.9 is nimble and fun t throw around corners but ultimately it will no give the "shove in the back" torquey push that the larger engines with.

The main thing you need to decide is if you want a striaght 6 engine. To me its what differentiates BMW from the pack and so personally like for like I would always take the 6 over the 4 cylinder.

The 2.2 which came out later in the range is widely regarded as probably the best all round engine for the Z3. Its torquey and has one of the best sounding engines across the range. They do however command a higher price for this.

You really can't beat driving a few though and seeing what suits your needs best.

Get to know the range a little:

<04/99 Facelift narrow v widebodied
>04/99 Facelift

Some people prefer the older pre facelift shape and vice versa.

You can download a brochure HERE and price list HERE for the 2001 range which includes the 2.2 in both sport and non sport version. Get to know the options (sport seats, air con, etc....) so you know what your looking at ;-) but most of all enjoy the search.
Thanks for those links jonttt :)
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

Post by Sorcerors Apprentice »

quik99 wrote:In terms of reliability/faults.... are there any well known things to look out for?
Yep, swamper. :wink:
quik99

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by quik99 »

Thanks for the replies guys! More than helpfull and a really warm welcome from everyone :D

I think il take the advice and go and drive a few to see what i notice :)

Just one question.... The whole pre facelift and facelift bit is confusing me as i am stuggling to tell the difference....

more importantly.... were there any real mechanical changes to the chassis, suspension or engines etc? ie anything which was vastly improved?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Have a read of this:

http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3_history.htm

and pre/psot facelfit are really easy to spot once you know what to look for but rear lights is the easiest as they are a completely different shape (nb ///M's did not have a change in bodyshape at all)

Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Ian Kelly

M roadster S50

Post by Ian Kelly »

I bought my first Z3 last October after viewing 4 or 5 cars. You really can't beat seeing a selection, you start noticing different things about the cars and eventually you form an opinion of the things you definitely do \ don't want. Also it gives you an idea of the different condition of the cars, as some will have been very pampered and \ or spent their lives under cover, others may have been treated less well.

I bought the M version, and I would echo other's comments about the straight six engine. I've always had 4 pots, and the smoothness of a straight six is something else, a truly great engine.

Enjoy the hunt!

Cheers,

Ian
theduck

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by theduck »

My father in law has a 1.9 4 pot, and I have just bought a 2.0 6 pot, the 2.0 is so much better than the 1.9, so I would definately be looking for a 6 cylinder.