Z3 prices in the UK

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Z3 prices in the UK

Post by Hard Top »

What is going on with the prices of Z3's in the UK?
They are becoming cheaper than chips.
Is it because of a smaller market due to being RHD?

Two examples :-

UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-BMW-Z3-R ... 4aadd4641c

Mainland.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... e-en-prijs

And if you want a descent ///M over here...............

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... oord%3dz3m
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

It seems to me people over here are just trying to get rid... i have no idea why.. Sure fuel prices are high but what ever you buy next its still going to be expensive to fill the tank...

If your thinking of buying another zed then it mite be worth looking at buying here... if you could put up with the rhd...
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Thing is tho new cars arnt that much better on fuel, i have a company Astra Estate Diesel and it only returns around 450 to a 55 litre tank and when you equate our 3.0 returns 300 to a 45 litre tank and its Petrol then i would say mile for mile they are not that far off each other. I agree with Liam tho folk over here are putting silly prices on just to get rid and you only need one to start it off.
A garage where i live has a nice Z3 3.0 auto in blue with 68k was 6k back in feb now he asking £3999 thats a drop of 2k in 6 months.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Z3cade wrote:If your thinking of buying another zed then it mite be worth looking at buying here... if you could put up with the rhd...
Hi Z3cade, could not be doing with RHD over here, its bad enough driving LHD in the UK.

Stuck behind an Eddie Stobart, ask the misses if I can overtake, yes, no, yes, no.....dam it, I will stay where I am, while other cars are overtaking me and the truck!!!
HT

Leg Puller
Micky Taker
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

I know what you mean HT.

In my 20s I had an Alfa Guilietta Spint Coupe which was a left hooker.I had to sell after 6 months as the OH was a non driver and a nervous wreck. :roll:

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I think the recession is hitting certain car sectors more than others.

Z3's are "niche" luxuries in many ways even if a daily driver (not just a second car) and I know people who are rationalising their cars and need preacticality over inpracticality which the Z3's are in many ways being 2 seaters and not that frugal on petrol ?
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

What 2 seaters are frugal on petrol. Our 3.0 is better than the 2.0 Alfa Spider we had, its the same as the merc slk and better than quite a few others. I agree that the Z is a bit of a Niche market, the trouble is that there are a lot of other 2 seaters on the market and in these times i would presume folk would sooner pay less for a newer mx5 than an older BMW, and would also sooner pay less for a MGF, bearing in mind a lot of folk have no idea about cars and just see a 2 seater as a 2 seater no matter what make. Just my opinion
Just some of what you can buy for the same price or less than a Z
Audi TT
MGF
MX5
SLK
Crossfire
Alfa Spider
Honda S200
Lotus (older type)
Porsche Boxter
and this isnt counting all the family convertibles

bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi Hard Top, I love the look of that Z3//M but the price :shock: compared to here is a huge difference.

You could have a second job, import from UK sell in - where ever you are - put a reasonable mark up (not too high) then you could share the profits with us :D simples!

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I think its down to a number of factors, like Jon mentioned Zeds are viewed by many as a luxury motor, it has limited practical attributes but I think its mainly down to the current economic climate, people just don't have the expenditure compared to a few years back, cost of living is climbing, food, energy bills, fuel etc, all this adds up, so cars with a largish engine and perceived poor fuel economy, higher emissions and highish Road Tax will fall in value, whereas motors like my 118d are doing quite well in holding its value :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Ming

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ming »

When we were looking at getting an open top 2 seater we were originally looking at a ten year old MX-5 as a base car. Then started looking at options and once the missus saw the Z3 I knew if I'd bought the Mazda she would always be looking at a Zed and wondering........what if? :x

So......started looking for one in June (not a great time for a bargain...) and couldn't find one for our budget (sub-£4k) within 100 miles that wasn't a cat-c/d or mega mileage. All the advertised ones had gone when we rang about them.

Then a chance look on AutoTrader saw a 2001 Y reg 2.2l Sport with all the trimmings and average miles (82k) for a bargain £3500. Managed to get that down to £3100 with a bit of phone haggling and bought it sight-unseen. Turned out to be a bit of a bargain from what I've since seen but as always - the advertised price does not mean that's what it's worth!!

Since joining the forum I've seen some lovely looking examples put on here for sale at a price I'd go for if I didn't have mine. I'm happy with the price I paid and confident I could sell it on if I needed to (which I don't, happily) but wouldn't like to be trying to get rid of an early Porsche Boxster right now - anyone with "proper" money will buy a newer one and those with 5 grand to spend will now be able to get a mint Zed3 and be able to afford any repair bills :)

If Holland is anything like Spain then car and motorbike prices are way higher over there, not to mention insurance, so that geography may be restricting you. What about buying in Germany - will be LHD and maybe more to choose from?
Get The Bloody Roof Down!!
simonbud100

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by simonbud100 »

Had my (very nice) 2.0 advertised on a Pistonheads premium advert for a few days now, and a standard advert for some time before that, and so far not a single call.

You know things are bad when you dont even get an email from a scammer in Lagos!!!

Is it that the Z3 has finally tipped from being an ageing, but still very desirable car to one that is seen by many as past its sell by date? As a few people have already said, the days of having a daily driver and a weekend 'fun' car seem to be over, for the time being at least. :bawl:

By the way, if anyone has any tips on improving the ad, the link is:-

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2856232.htm

Thanks

Simon
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I was thinking mine was worth around 5K, things are looking up :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-BMW- ... 4aadff822b

Tim.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

TitanTim wrote:I was thinking mine was worth around 5K, things are looking up :lol:

Tim.
Sorry to disappoint you, but it hasn't sold and nobody has made an offer :shock: .
Pingu
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

pingu wrote:
TitanTim wrote:I was thinking mine was worth around 5K, things are looking up :lol:

Tim.
Sorry to disappoint you, but it hasn't sold and nobody has made an offer :shock: .
Are you trying to burst my bubble :twisted:

Tim.
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Ming wrote:If Holland is anything like Spain then car and motorbike prices are way higher over there, not to mention insurance, so that geography may be restricting you. What about buying in Germany - will be LHD and maybe more to choose from?
Hi Ming, I have done that before with a Merc, as German cars generally have a better spec for the money than Dutch cars, but you do get hit with import duty, a rigorous MOT and Dutch registration costs.

Also, when you want to sell, a lot of buyers are not to happy with an import and most car adds state that the car for sale is of original Dutch registration.
HT

Leg Puller
Micky Taker
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Hard Top wrote:Also, when you want to sell, a lot of buyers are not to happy with an import and most car adds state that the car for sale is of original Dutch registration.
The same applies here.

What difference does it make to a LHD Z1 or Smart car what country it was first registered? None, but it does.

My Smart is no different to an import, but it is worth more because it was first registered in the UK. Once all the lighting regulation changes, etc. have been made there should be no difference.
Pingu
Wrinkley

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wrinkley »

Well I don't really care about the current value's of the Z3.

We bought ours in October of last year and have spent a fair amount on it since.
We spent a long time finding the right car, and for us it's with us for the long term.
We've had some great days out w/e's away and a fabulous trip around europe this year.
Value on anything like this is relative,and for Jo and myself our first year of Z3 ownership has been priceless.
We've already got next years main trip half planned and if it's the only time "Redzter" goes out next year,for us the car still represents great VFM.

Steve
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Wrinkley wrote:Well I don't really care about the current value's of the Z3.

We bought ours in October of last year and have spent a fair amount on it since.
We spent a long time finding the right car, and for us it's with us for the long term.
We've had some great days out w/e's away and a fabulous trip around europe this year.
Value on anything like this is relative,and for Jo and myself our first year of Z3 ownership has been priceless.
We've already got next years main trip half planned and if it's the only time "Redzter" goes out next year,for us the car still represents great VFM.

Steve

I agree, its not about value with these cars but enjoyment. Since owning my car, i have met some fantastic people on here.

Long may it continue.

:)

The 'BEAST' 666