Stelvio Pass-advice needed

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Stelvio Pass-advice needed

Post by maurice the martian »

Hi all,
Next year i plan to do the stelvio,so i`m after advice which is the best way to do it,it seems to run from Spondigna to Tirano.
Also there seems to be other interesting looking roads- eg- from Tirano along hway 29 thro St Moritz and on to hway 3 ( Julier pass) up to Chur .
Or if you know any other roads in the area i would like to hear about these please. :drive :thumb:
Many thanks
Maurice
J_M_C

Z4 M roadster

Post by J_M_C »

Im in the Alps right now staying just outside the Andermatt. We may be going along Stelvio tomorrow if we have time. My mate has planned the route so will check with him later which way we are going. Im hoping to upload some photos later of some of the othersq passes we have done today. I personally think some of the passes we have done today would probably be better driving roads than Stelvio :)
TrickyZ1

Z1 roadster

Post by TrickyZ1 »

J_M_C wrote:Im in the Alps right now staying just outside the Andermatt. We may be going along Stelvio tomorrow if we have time. My mate has planned the route so will check with him later which way we are going. Im hoping to upload some photos later of some of the othersq passes we have done today. I personally think some of the passes we have done today would probably be better driving roads than Stelvio :)
Maurice, JMC is correct - there are better driving roads than the Stelvio - the Sustenpass and Fluelapass were two of my favourites when I did my euro road trip a couple of years ago. It's worth doing the Stelvio though if you have time, just for the view :D
Image Image

Seduced by the zed side
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Thanks for the info so far ,keep it comming :drive :thumb:
Mozza.
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

When are you thinking of doing it. We will prob be doing the Alps next year, depending on what dates we can get off work, will prob be may ,june or september.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

brings back memories :lol:

do it both ways :D

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Maurice. This is the route i have been working on so far all i need to do is to input my stops, where we go after Annecy who knows probably into Spain and a few days in the sun by the beach. I believe it takes in all 3 passes.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Great pics Kev,thanks for sharing,i`m getting excited already.
Cant wait for your pics J.M.C. Wish i was with you now, i`m sure your having a great time and enjoy the Grand Prix on sunday. :drive
Cheers Maurice
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

We went Anti-clockwise...
2 zed

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Stelvio o Stelvio

Post by 2 zed »

Went there on my bike in June this year. :shock:

But then you turn the corner and it all makes sense :D

Moomah

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Moomah »

There last year on a harley. Had a great time touring Europe, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Germany...Stelvio was a fun ride (mad cyclists!) and you will love it, but I preferred the Timollsjock...now that was just down right scary!

Four wheeled car, three wheeled trike, two wheeled bike....shame not all at once
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

TrickyZ1 wrote:
J_M_C wrote:Im in the Alps right now staying just outside the Andermatt. We may be going along Stelvio tomorrow if we have time. My mate has planned the route so will check with him later which way we are going. Im hoping to upload some photos later of some of the othersq passes we have done today. I personally think some of the passes we have done today would probably be better driving roads than Stelvio :)
Maurice, JMC is correct - there are better driving roads than the Stelvio - the Sustenpass and Fluelapass were two of my favourites when I did my euro road trip a couple of years ago. It's worth doing the Stelvio though if you have time, just for the view :D
Another vote for the Sustenpass. We drove over it on the way back from Lake Maggiore in 2009. The road didn't look as winding as the Stelvio, but stunning nevertheless with some brilliant scenery for good measure;

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

http://www.inter-bike.co.uk/motorcycle- ... -alps.html

Here is an article by Mike Fishwick which I found very interesting.