What or who dictates new car colours?

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

What or who dictates new car colours?

Post by Warrior »

Thinking of the Z3 in Fiji Green :? and now the Z4 in Phoenix Yellow I got to thinking that something or someone must have the foresight (or no sight :wink: ) to recognise changes in trends.

Of late it's definately silver that dominates, black will always be fashionable as will dark blue, red and white but some of the cars on the road today don't quite hit the spot for me.

Dakar Yellow anyone? :wink:

Thinking this through is it that it's much easier to produce colours in small runs these days?

Post by Guest »

There wa a program on the TV a few months back that looked at this, and they use styling houses to match the personality of the car to fashion trends and who they think the potential purchasing market will be.

A pretty tall ask really, when it takes three year to get to market!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Some colours appeal all the time, others don't. The colour of a new car only needs to appeal TODAY. Tomorrow, as far as the manufacturer is concerned, is someone else's problem.

I hope that you like white, because that's the colour you'll be buying in 10 year's time (as that's what will be most common in used cars) :shock:
Pingu

Post by Guest »

White is a fantastic colour, goes with anything, bring back white socks as an everyday fashion item i say.................. :idea:
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

pingu wrote:Some colours appeal all the time, others don't. The colour of a new car only needs to appeal TODAY. Tomorrow, as far as the manufacturer is concerned, is someone else's problem.

I hope that you like white, because that's the colour you'll be buying in 10 year's time (as that's what will be most common in used cars) :shock:
Funny you should say that. A chap who lives near me designs the paint production lines for Ford and told me 20 years ago that cars would eventually be like white goods, i.e. recyclable in every respect. I didn't think he meant literally.. :lol:
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

I agree that Dark Blue/Black really suit most cars.
White is coming back in fashion in recent years.
Love the Alpina White Z4M Coupe. 8-)

I've never been a fan of Yellow and Red looks nice on some cars.
If I had green it'd be a dark metallic green for me.

Silver's a popular choice as it always sparkles.

I do like a Graphite colour though/Dark Grey metallic.

These car manufacturers must have some bods sitting around with swatches as well as computer technology but I guess they just have to make a colour to please everyone.
Unless your Mercedes-Benz who seem to stick with basics on most of their cars. :lol:
My Toyota MR2 is up for sale £2650 ovno Pics/details available