Thieves - True or not, I don't know

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Pulled from another forum
Don't know how true or even if it applies to BMW

WHAT WILL the car thieves think OF NEXT?

The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or vehicle,write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and the thief doesn't have to break into your car or do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local chop shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it?

It really is that EASY.

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some dark tape (electrical
tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Number Metal Label located on the dashboard.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Thieves - True or not, I don't know

Post by Robert T »

Whilst it is technically possible that they can, I am pretty sure BMW insist on seeing proof of ownership and/or proof of ID before they will issue a key, at least through the official channels. One would hope that the same applies to other manufacturers.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Read this,

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... &mid=54115

Basically Police are saying don't buy any new BMW.

Thieves are buying the slot type keyfob and reprogramming it through the OBD socket, I guess via a laptop and the appropriate software. Once the keyfob is programmed away you go.

I don't know how though they actually get into the car? :?

Will be covering my Vin No when I get the Z4 if its visible and not sure if to get an old fashioned crook lock, last time I used one of those was in the 80s :shock:

Cars are getting smarter but maybe too smart for their own good.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

You can buy the latest BMW keyfobs easily off e-bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Bmw-1 ... 3cc348bc5f

Tim.
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Gazza wrote:Pulled from another forum
Don't know how true or even if it applies to BMW

. . . . . . . .I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted. . . . . . .
When we ordered a spare key from our local Chrysler dealer for the wife's Crossfire, we had to take the V5, some form of proof of photo identity and a utility bill to prove our address before they would even order one. I asked if taking the Sales Receipt from the dealer would suffice in place of the V5, but I was told that it had to be the V5 or green slip from the registration document, as supplied when you buy a used car.

The key was ordered using the registration number, so covering the VIN inside the windscreen will do little to prevent a thief, unless you remove your registration plates as well.

I'm sure this is just another Internet scaremonger story, posted to provoke comment (which it clearly has).

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Not quite an Urban Myth as there was some truth in it but it was back in 2002/03 as described HERE. It doesn't look like there have been any other thefts in the last 9 years.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

I brought a spare key last year.

Dealer wanted vehicle reg doc and proof of id.

I dont believe that garages will ask for anything less.

Mark

The 'BEAST' 666
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I still use a thatcham crook lock on my Z3 steering wheel. It stores nicely behind the passenger seat when not in use. Nothing beats a nice big visible deterrent ;-)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3steve »

Kinda related, my wifes friends fiancee - he worked on the parts desk at BMW locally. Someone came in and asked for a spare key to be cut, and to cut a looong story short, the guy gave him a load of bull about not having the registration document. He paid to have the key cut, the guy on the desk decided he wasn't 'not' to be trusted and gave him the new key. Off he went, only to be told that the credit card was stolen and the car to which the key was cut - was stolen too.

Hence to say the wifes friends fiancee got the boot, and left BMW quite red faced :oops:

Steve
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

As most of our zeds are tucked up in a garage some where, on axle stands and the wheels off i shouldnt worry to much :lol:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Speak for yourself Z3cade, both Toadster my 2.2 and Sharky ///M are out and about with me strutting their thang :D
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

They are so difficult to steal these days that the thieves simply boot your front door in to get in the house for the keys :!:
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3steve »

Jamezee wrote:They are so difficult to steal these days that the thieves simply boot your front door in to get in the house for the keys :!:
Or as I found out last week, smash the front window of your van to steal the tools out the back :evil:

Steve
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Z3cade wrote:As most of our zeds are tucked up in a garage some where, on axle stands and the wheels off i shouldnt worry to much :lol:
Oh nooooooo what makes you think that :oops: :oops:

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Jonttt wrote:I still use a thatcham crook lock on my Z3 steering wheel. It stores nicely behind the passenger seat when not in use. Nothing beats a nice big visible deterrent ;-)
I haven't used one of these since the 80's, it was the type that went around the bottom of the steering wheel and then hooked around the brake pedal and weighed about the same as an alloy wheel :lol:

I must admit I may look at one from Halfrauds it has to be better than nothing, they do one with a big flashing red light, which will turn the Zed into Pimp Mobile :oops:

Tim.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

My Zed came fitted with a Mul-T-Loc gear lever lock,which is at least a visible deterent and Thatcham recognised.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~secur ... MLMain.htm

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Well I have just bought a Stoplock Pro off e-bay. 32 quid as opposed to £49.99 from Halfrauds, I'm hoping it will fit the BMW steering wheels, I think the Z3 will be ok but not so sure on the thicker M Steering wheel on the Z4 :?

Tim.
Fenlander

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Fenlander »

Hi Titan Tim,

Can you tell me if the Stop Lock Pro does fit on the Z3 steering wheel?

Am looking in to theft deterrants at the moment (a big dog with sharp teeth isn't practical unfortunately!)

Fenlander
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

There does appear to be an element of truth to the key fob issue and I was talking to someone at Sytner BMW only the other day about this. They cant understand how this happens as they cant do the reprogramme themselves. However if the system at BMW has been hacked then anything is possible.
I use a crook lock on the car just to make it more difficult.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

trouble with the steering wheel bars is that thieves use them as a lever to break the steering column lock, then spend 30 seconds hacksawing the steering wheel which isn't the "toughened hardened steel" which the bar is made from.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Thanks for the reassurance - :cry:
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Fenlander wrote:Hi Titan Tim,

Can you tell me if the Stop Lock Pro does fit on the Z3 steering wheel?

Am looking in to theft deterrants at the moment (a big dog with sharp teeth isn't practical unfortunately!)

Fenlander
Hi Fenlander,

Yes it does, well it does on the facelift model steering wheel, unsure on the earlier steering wheels though. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the Z4s steering wheel as its too small and thickly padded.

I use it on the Z3 all the time, its a bit of nuisance when driving though.

I know some poo poo them, easy to remove with an angle grinder or nail file etc but it may just buy some time that said thief is sprung doing the deed.

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Phil wrote:There does appear to be an element of truth to the key fob issue and I was talking to someone at Sytner BMW only the other day about this. They cant understand how this happens as they cant do the reprogramme themselves. However if the system at BMW has been hacked then anything is possible.
I use a crook lock on the car just to make it more difficult.
You don't need to worry with the Z3, but I have been a bit worried reading about all this on Pistonheads with having the 1 series and now the Z4 with the keyslot fob and push button start, apparently its not just BMWs but any manufacturer that uses a push button start and fob. The issue with BMWs is for some unknown reason the interior alarm perimeter doesn't cover the area where the OBD socket is and the drivers window :roll: which seems unbelievable. I have been worried about it enough to have taken out GAP insurance on the Z4 :(

Tim.