In support of Mike

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

In support of Mike

Post by John Wilson »

It seems to me that Mike Fishwick has been given a hard time of it on recent forums. I know he can be a bit blunt, but he has a wealth of valuable information, and I just feel that it would be a shame if he is put off from posting his in-depth knowledge because of this reaction. I think that comments on forums can sometimes come across hashly because you dont get the tone of voice written down, and the odd smiley isnt a good substitute.
Keep up the posts, Mike. Your sort of advice is why I am on the site so much.
Desiro

M roadster S50

Re: In support of Mike

Post by Desiro »

I actually like Mikes style of posting. It's to the point and mostly accurate. And If he's got something wrong he will say so.

That it really, not met him but I like him.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Has a particular event prompted this?

I also appreciate MF's posts over the years, and have learned many useful things from them. Long may they continue.
Pingu
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

pingu wrote:Has a particular event prompted this?

I also appreciate MF's posts over the years, and have learned many useful things from them. Long may they continue.
+1
the badness makes me do it...!

hornel Z3M

blank

Post by hornel Z3M »

Mike has helped me on a few problems over the years, excellent guy , if they cant take the heat stay out of the kitchen, Long Live Mike Fishwick :wink:
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

It's the 'engine temperature ' thread that's sparked this most recently, but other recent threads as well. Now this thread has been blocked and so information on a common problem which could be of use to many, has been lost.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

I agree with all of the above posts, and I've been on the receiving end of some of the "straight to the point" comments mentioned. Mike's knowledge of the Z3 and it's engines is second to none round here as far as I can tell, and if taking a bit of **** for saying something silly/wrong is the price to pay for access to that knowledge then so be it. This is the internet after all, if you can't just brush off stuff like that then maybe you shouldn't be on the internet. Just my two penneth...
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

MFs posts actually give me a good chuckle at times and I can see how some of the newer members can take offence by his bluntness, but over the years he is a member on here to admire for his knowledge and practical advice, so its worth sticking with it rather than taking offence.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

John Wilson wrote:It seems to me that Mike Fishwick has been given a hard time of it on recent forums. I know he can be a bit blunt, but he has a wealth of valuable information, and I just feel that it would be a shame if he is put off from posting his in-depth knowledge because of this reaction. I think that comments on forums can sometimes come across hashly because you dont get the tone of voice written down, and the odd smiley isnt a good substitute.
Keep up the posts, Mike. Your sort of advice is why I am on the site so much.
I couldn't agree more.
I've read many of Mike's pieces both here and on other sites. Well written, easy to read and contain a wealth of good information and advice.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

John Wilson wrote:It's the 'engine temperature ' thread that's sparked this most recently, but other recent threads as well. Now this thread has been blocked and so information on a common problem which could be of use to many, has been lost.
why has it been blocked?

what was said?

:)

The 'BEAST' 666
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Badman gee wrote:
John Wilson wrote:It's the 'engine temperature ' thread that's sparked this most recently, but other recent threads as well. Now this thread has been blocked and so information on a common problem which could be of use to many, has been lost.
why has it been blocked?

what was said?

It has been removed for evaluation, it will return :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

It all got out of hand over whether Bentley or Haynes manuals were best. Things were said that will be regreted in the morning. It will probably all come out on Jeremy Kyle soon.
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

I'd like to add my support for Mike fishwick too, his knowledge has been a huge help to me.. :wink:
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Gazza wrote:
Badman gee wrote:
why has it been blocked?

what was said?

It has been removed for evaluation, it will return :wink:
Photos gazza come on :D

The 'BEAST' 666
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

John Wilson wrote:It all got out of hand over whether Bentley or Haynes manuals were best. Things were said that will be regreted in the morning. It will probably all come out on Jeremy Kyle soon.
get them in the ring to resolve it.

a bit of my books better than yours :D

let people have their opinions, i say!

The 'BEAST' 666
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Regardless of a wealth of knowledge, it does not give the right to be increasingly condescending, patronising and offensive, it is not in the spirit of the forum, especially to newbies just asking for advice.
It has not happened to me, so I have no axe to grind. However I too have noticed this more and more with the impression that some people are not worthy of a Z3 or even a helpful reply.
If everyone is entitled to their opinion, then that is mine.

Friendly and helpful posts will not escalate to the need for blocking or removing,
so that tells a story, as indeed does this thread.
Just be a little more patient please Mike.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

gookah wrote:Regardless of a wealth of knowledge, it does not give the right to be increasingly condescending, patronising and offensive, it is not in the spirit of the forum, especially to newbies just asking for advice.
It has not happened to me, so I have no axe to grind. However I too have noticed this more and more with the impression that some people are not worthy of a Z3 or even a helpful reply.
If everyone is entitled to their opinion, then that is mine.

Friendly and helpful posts will not escalate to the need for blocking or removing,
so that tells a story, as indeed does this thread.
Just be a little more patient please Mike.... :D
nice reply, i agree, especially the bit about being worthy of a z3. Ive noticed comments relating to this in the past.

The 'BEAST' 666
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I didn't think Mike was being offensive to the person asking for advice. He was a bit offensive of the Bentley manual, which might have upset Mr Bentley, but his warnings about that book were informative. However I would say that the discussion on the thread about the stuck bonnet which is currently running, is a great example of how two different opinions can be discussed in an amiable manner with loads of invaluable information being imparted.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

John Wilson wrote:I didn't think Mike was being offensive to the person asking for advice. He was a bit offensive of the Bentley manual, which might have upset Mr Bentley, but his warnings about that book were informative. However I would say that the discussion on the thread about the stuck bonnet which is currently running, is a great example of how two different opinions can be discussed in an amiable manner with loads of invaluable information being imparted.
:thumb:

The 'BEAST' 666
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Why should I support Mike Fishwick?
He deleted an entire thread where I posted information & photos of my torn diff mount & boot spot weld problem that could alert other Zed owners to the issue including possible safety issues & how to fix it. I had to start a new thread & repost the pics with info, but the info from the other posters was lost!
Why did he do this ?
Because I wasn't prepared to remove the slightly more chatty posts in the thread !
Dictatorial attitude that is sickening!
'High G' motoring enthusiast
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

Robin wrote:Why should I support Mike Fishwick?
He deleted an entire thread where I posted information & photos of my torn diff mount & boot spot weld problem that could alert other Zed owners to the issue including possible safety issues & how to fix it. I had to start a new thread & repost the pics with info, but the info from the other posters was lost!
Why did he do this ?
Because I wasn't prepared to remove the slightly more chatty posts in the thread !
Dictatorial attitude that is sickening!
Robin (with all respect) was this your thread or or his?
as i see it if it was your thread then it shouldn't have been removed......if it was his thread...well from my point of view a poster has the right to have his thread deleted ...IMO..........we all put work into threads and sometimes it just doesn't go as we would want it to read and best if it was deleted... as it can detract from the issue of the original thread..(iv requested it my self from time to time).
i dont know the thread your talking about so cant comment any further
the badness makes me do it...!

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

MS rocks! We should all be able to give our best, and accept that anyone else that adds to, corrects, provides alternatives etc etc is to be welcomed. Personally, I have a copy of the Bentleys, and agree, it "stinks". But not having another source / manual, I use it to and accept it's limitations. if a better source is available I will use that. And that is exactly what I get at this forum....BETTER ADVICE. I think the shitty weather over there is getting to you guys....... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Make that MF Rocks.........This S*"^ is getting to my typing abilities....I think I might blame Mike... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I think this thread has run quite far enough, so I am locking it. This forum is for discussing cars, not its members.

Robin, unless you have evidence to show otherwise, I expect your thread deletion was probably an accident, as the thread management tools on the old forum were truly shocking. As a rule, we do not delete threads/posts any more, we simply move them into an area where they can't be seen, which is much easier now. I also run a nightly backup, so if something important gets deleted, with a bit of work I can get it back.

R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc