Bucket List

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
LJSteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Bucket List

Post by LJSteve »

Good evening,

I have owned a Z3 for about 18 months and am thinking about upgrading. My budget could be around £10,000 and there are a few questions that might help my decision making process. I am planning to sell my current car for the insurance cost (it's high mileage with a scratched passenger door)

1. Given the budget, Z3 or Z4?

2. Do any of the Z4s (within budget) have a manual roof as I am told once the auto roof goes it is very difficult to repair well?

3. On appearance, I prefer the interior of the Z3, have others managed the transition and is the Z4 nicer to be in than it looks?

4. Are there any other elements the relatively uninitiated might find useful to know?

I am very grateful to anyone who is able to make time indulging this debate.

Thanks and regards

Steve
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Re: Bucket List

Post by macca »

Hi Steve, a Z4 is well within your budget. All Z4 have motorised hoods in afraid but they do have an override feature in case of motor failure. Z4's after 2004 have the redesigned motor, so it shouldnt fail so quick. If you really like Z3's you could always go for a Z3M!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Only you can only really answer the Z3 v Z4 question as its purely down to which you prefer not other people.

Your obviously used to a Z3 so a quick drive in a Z4 will not really be comparable. Try and get a test drive in a Z4 for at least 20 minutes or longer on mixed roads to get a proper feel for it.

The Z4 will always feel more refined to a Z3 but the Z3 has more of the X fun factor IMHO and I've always preferred the Z3 for exactly what it is ..... a small classic looking fun retro roadster that is cheap to maintain and run that can be tinkered with to your hearts content ie a real hobby car.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
LJSteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LJSteve »

Thank you both, good responses so far which I agree with. I had not even considered the M series, thinking them beyond my means, but I will definitely have a look at them and try to get a test of a Z4!
Thanks again, any further views/ideas welcome
Steve