V Power Nitro Experiences

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

V Power Nitro Experiences

Post by stu »

Heard this change was driven by legislation driving an additive out of use but found a cheap Shell garage in Stoke today & put a tank in.

Steady cruise back at motorway speeds with the top down of course and saw trip computer claim 38.4 MPG, highest I've ever seen. It's not true as we have uprated injectors, but still notably above the best mpg I've ever seen. Was it just a strong tailwind?

Anyone else tried it yet?

I don't work for Shell before anyone says.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: V Power Nitro Experiences

Post by stupot50 »

Nope, best I've had is about 28 but then I have a heavy right foot :D

As for a cheap garage in Stoke, where on earth was that? Only seem to be the supermarkets that are cheaper than my home town of Utch.
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

On the A500 a couple of miles off the M6. Cheap compared to where I live anyway.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Filled mine up with Nitro+ last week - TBH I didn't notice any difference from the previous incarnation of V-Power. I did however get some more bonus points on my Shell card. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Psh, Shell cards - after over a year of filling up every week I finally had enough points for £3.50 off a fill up, how generous of them!
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

XVar wrote:Psh, Shell cards - after over a year of filling up every week I finally had enough points for £3.50 off a fill up, how generous of them!
Something wrong there, or you hardly ever use the card.

Nitro+ seemed to work OK last night :wink: . I don't know the mpg (and in the M, I don't care :lol: )

that last bit isn't true
Pingu
Pep

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Pep »

I'm pretty certain I'm getting better mpg than on the old V-Power and the prices seem to have gone down a little around Manchester in the last few weeks.

I only ever use V-Power but I've had my shell card application form kicking around in my glove compartment for about 8 months, must get that sent off soon!
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

I've been online to find a Shell Service Station which sells V Power Nitro+ (at Borden, Hampshire) but how much does this stuff cost?
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

John1950 wrote:I've been online to find a Shell Service Station which sells V Power Nitro+ (at Borden, Hampshire) but how much does this stuff cost?
A lot!

The 'BEAST' 666
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Well I'm getting way more MPG and it runs lovely on the stuff. Apparently they've added more friction modifier additive, which explains it. I'd be surprised if it can improve real power though.

I get minimum £5 per month off my Shell Drivers club and I pay for it with Santanders 123 card, so get another 3% back that way.

And driving a Z is 10 times better than driving a boring car anyday.
Pep

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Pep »

John1950 wrote:I've been online to find a Shell Service Station which sells V Power Nitro+ (at Borden, Hampshire) but how much does this stuff cost?
It's probably around the same cost as most high-octane fuels, around me it's actually cheaper than the 97 (?) octane they sell in the Sainsbury's up the road.

In terms of value for money I've seen quite a few people using maths to demonstrate that it's actually better value per mile than regular fuel in certain engines (believe my 3.0 qualifies here and the handbook recommends 99 i think).

Regardless of the math it feels both more powerful and economical when I'm driving it, to the point where I won't use anything else :lol:
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Pep wrote:
It's probably around the same cost as most high-octane fuels, around me it's actually cheaper than the 97 (?) octane they sell in the Sainsbury's up the road.

In terms of value for money I've seen quite a few people using maths to demonstrate that it's actually better value per mile than regular fuel in certain engines (believe my 3.0 qualifies here and the handbook recommends 99 i think).

Regardless of the math it feels both more powerful and economical when I'm driving it, to the point where I won't use anything else :lol:
Well, my 2.8 which is still SORNed and sitting in the garage (because I'm skint - only working two days per week) should be back on the road for the 1st. of June. I had some engine oil cleaner poured into the machine last week, the oil drained and changed, new filter of course so from now on I want to use only premium fuels (she's done about 97k). I'll be very interested to see if this stuff makes a noticeable difference when driving. Mind you, I think I'll give about 200 miles of motoring to work it's magic before making notes.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Certainly seems to deliver better fuel economy for me - 228.8 miles on 29.75 litres of fuel works out at 35 mpg - 180 miles of that were motorway, but the rest was pootling round town. I was surprised to see how much was left in the tank.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Have been using it for a few weeks in both the Z & Subaru and does appear to give a higher mpg although no actual teasts yet.
Not sure if I like the smell much as the previous fuel but presumably it is the additives.
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten