What planet do insurance companies live on?

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

What planet do insurance companies live on?

Post by Robert T »

Just received a piece of geographically targeted junk mail from Direct Line, which I really don't think will be winning them any business round here. Apparently residents in my postcode "could be paying as little as £561" for their car insurance. Now, that is a figure that I would deem "ridiculously expensive" - in fact, the £495 I was quoted for my last renewal was enough to prompt me to shop around for a better deal (that was over £100 more than the previous years premium).

Bearing in mind that this figure is being quoted without knowing anything about my car or myself, only where I live, I have to assume that this quote is for the lowest risk driver and vehicle they can think of - I dread to think what they would actually be quoting me for a 14-year old Z3. :shock:

They then go on to sing the praises of their multi-car discount.... Well, Direct Line, I insured both my cars, on two separate policies, for over £100 less than you are quoting for just one of them!!!

Has anyone else had such a leaflet through their door? How far wide of the mark was yours?

I guess it makes a change from the unattainable quotes that some insurers bandy around, but I think someone in their marketing department will be picking up their P45 shortly. Cheered my day up anyway. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: What planet do insurance companies live on?

Post by Gazza »

I pay £330 for the ///M and £393 total for all three Mustangs on one policy :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I love insurance company adverts the stats always make me giggle. I particularly love the LV offer 70% NCD does this mean that there policies are 10% cheaper than everyone else, err no. :head:

Insurance company adverts are almost as good as beauty product adverts... "our anti wrinkle horse piss cream with randy peptides delay the appearance of wrinkles"...." 51% of 49 women agree" not only could they only find 49 women who would provide feedback but 51% of them isn't even a whole number of women.

"30% of customers between March 2013 and May 2013 could have saved £260 if they had collected our Meerkats which are only available from us...and ebay." :shock:

I'm sure all advertising agencies think we are all idiots, but they're always good for a laugh.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

But you have to remember the shocking statistic that 50% of people are of below average intelligence. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
hotred

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by hotred »

Yep I had one from Saga quoting my car (z3) for as little as £126 if I went back to them, unbelievable I thought and so this prompted me to try them out, thinking it was just a line to get me hooked.
But lo and behold I insured my 1.9 for £124.
I am always slating insurance companies but this year they have come up trumps for me on both my cars.
YipppEEE.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

I did the same this year with Saga, £149.99 for a 2.8, fully comp with protected no claims
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

Robert T wrote:But you have to remember the shocking statistic that 50% of people are of below average intelligence. :D

Cheers R.
did you know that 84% of all statistics are made up on the spot?!
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

seriously though, age has its benefits... i pay £900 on my 1.9 with seven years no claims. I am 27. In a decent postcode. I can only pity/feel smug about younger folk.
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If 50% of people are of below average intelligence, it begs the question regarding the "average" and just how intelligent the other 50% are compared to an Ad Agency copywriter..... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions