Any 118d sport owners

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Any 118d sport owners

Post by Althulas »

My mate is looking at buying one of these, it's a 2004 with only 83,00 miles with full service history, leather interior and other mod cons. Any owners of 118d have any advice on common faults to watch out for with these models and do you enjoy them compared to similar spec ford etc
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Any 118d sport owners

Post by Del »

Some people moan that the internal build quality of the 1 series is not up to usual BMW standard but this one sounds well equipped with extras. Others moan that the Golf and Audi A3 (which I have ) both have slightly more passenger and boot space. Personally, I think BMW is a great, prestige brand and the only thing that put me off getting a 1 series 2.0 diesel was the controversy/publicity surrounding their weak timing chains. These were not designed as a service item and are positioned at the back of the engine between the engine and bell-housing. A change therefore involves an "engine out" job which is obviously troublesome and expensive.

However, the engine involved with this timing chain "issue" is the newer N47 diesel engine. As your friend is looking at a 2004 model, that is likely to have the older M47 version which won't be as powerful and modern (common rail) but didn't suffer this timing chain "problem" and arguably has less complexities to go wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M47

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N47
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

I've been driven around in one as a passenger and thought it was tiny inside.Five adult men and it was embarrassing.However,it accelerated well and handled like a go-kart.The driver replaced it with a 3 series.I've a Mark 7 golf,nice interior,reliable,good handling,rubbish back suspension set-up and can't get over 60mpg when VW advertise 74mpg.I was getting 60mpg with the Mark 6 which i prefered to this one.
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

Hi
I have a 2012 X1 2.0d Xdrive msport

As far as I am aware the x1 uses the same floor pan as the e90/e91 3 series

I have had no issues and all is good,even the trim in the interior is on par with my e91 2.0d msport I had previously

I have a neighbour who has a 116d and he loves it and a mate who has a 135m ....different ball game though..it's quick

It's a bmw and they have always built great cars..I'm biased tho

Topperz
The only bad thing about owning a Z3 is bedtime .......boing!! time for bed said zebedee

Z3 cosmos black individual 2.0

X1 /MSport XDrive 2.0d mineral white
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

I have a 2013 116d & it's a fantastic car, I really love it.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Thanks for the replies chaps my mate appreciated the useful responses.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
cooknerkid

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cooknerkid »

I have owned a 118d for 18 months now, and just had to have a new rear wiper motor which my Indy says is very common on these, but they are available for £70. Other than that not a lot of issues other than the Stop start on later models. ( and of course timing chain on N47 engines These were fitted from 2006/07 I believe. ) After an X5 before that was costing a fortune to run , it is a reliable car that is fun to drive. Recommended.
davieb

M coupe S50

Post by davieb »

I've had a 125i M Sport for about 2 years, no complaints about anything - can't comment on any diesel-related probs, in fact I'm well chuffed.