has anyone got (or had) an E46?

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

has anyone got (or had) an E46?

Post by Mugs »

after slipping a disc in my back i am now finding driving the zed is becoming very uncomfortable and leaving me with serious back ache.
i have finally taken the hard decision to sell up and buy an E46 convertible (possibly 325 or 330) to replace it.
i have had an E30 and E36 and always found them to be very comfortable as the seats are high enough that my legs bend at the knee. i find the zed seats are too low causing my legs to be almost straight and this is what hurts.
does anyone on here own or has owned an E46 convertible and can give me any pointers of what to look out for when buying it and anything generally when running it?

also, if anyone is interested in a 1.9 pre-facelift with a wide rear end conversion and many extras then please pm me. (i will get a for sale thread up once i put a 12 month ticket on it)
c_w

M roadster S50

Re: has anyone got (or had) an E46?

Post by c_w »

You can raise the front of the seat which makes them a lot more comfortable by using thread couplers like this

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/U ... GwodOtsJMg
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Mugs wrote:after slipping a disc in my back i am now finding driving the zed is becoming very uncomfortable and leaving me with serious back ache.
i have finally taken the hard decision to sell up and buy an E46 convertible (possibly 325 or 330) to replace it.
i have had an E30 and E36 and always found them to be very comfortable as the seats are high enough that my legs bend at the knee. i find the zed seats are too low causing my legs to be almost straight and this is what hurts.
does anyone on here own or has owned an E46 convertible and can give me any pointers of what to look out for when buying it and anything generally when running it?

also, if anyone is interested in a 1.9 pre-facelift with a wide rear end conversion and many extras then please pm me. (i will get a for sale thread up once i put a 12 month ticket on it)
Yes. Where are you?
Pingu
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

c_w wrote:You can raise the front of the seat which makes them a lot more comfortable by using thread couplers like this

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/U ... GwodOtsJMg
my mate has done it to his and it really makes no difference to my back. i find i can only drive it for 30 mins max before suffering. :(
thanks anyway. :wink:
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

pingu wrote:
Mugs wrote:after slipping a disc in my back i am now finding driving the zed is becoming very uncomfortable and leaving me with serious back ache.

Yes. Where are you?
Hi Pingu,
i'm in Gloucester.
cheers
Mugs
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

A bit far to give you a try in mine.

9 cars less than £5k within 20 miles of GL1 2AA....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used ... new/page/1
Pingu
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

cheers Pingu,
i have looked at a couple already although not driven any of them yet due to dealers not being open today :lol:
(i won't look at private sales until i have decided on model etc as i don't want to waste peoples time by just looking)
is there anything specific to the E46 i need to look for?
eg roof leaks, rust in certain places, engine / gearbox issues etc
i should have, i am looking for an auto as i need to share it with my auto-only driving wife.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

For rust, check the wheel arch lip, it has a particular design which traps dirt and causes rust issues.

Earlier 330's were 231bhp and the later 03? onward had 260 ish bhp.

We have an 02 330 vert with 105000 miles and it drives like new, would'nt part with it. The only changes in 9 years of ownership have been tyres,brakes, rear springs and a waterpump.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

Thanks.
i will find the one i want and then i may be on to ask a couple more questions before i buy it.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

For a 15 year old car they are excellent.

If it has been thrashed, there is a slight possibility of boot floor problems, but it's mainly M3s with this problem.

Very minor rust issues (bubbling of paint).

Like all modern cars - if you can, stick the computer in the OBD port and see what's really under the bonnet :wink: .

Given a second chance, I'd go for a 325. Enough power and better economy.
Pingu
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

thanks.
i have seen a couple of 325s and i really like them. they don't seem that much less powerful than the 330 and with my wife driving too it might make a better choice.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Is the wife a nutty driver ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

Gazza wrote:Is the wife a nutty driver ?
well, let's put it his way......
her daily driver is an Impreza non turbo auto with 130bhp, mine is an Impreza WRX with 300bhp.
she can nearly keep up with me with her lead right foot and lack of knowledge of that thing called a brake pedal....oh, and a little bit of driving skill i suppose :oops: :wink:

so, in a nutshell.............yes :lol:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go for a 318i lol
Gazza

ImageImage
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

Gazza wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go for a 318i lol
no, she would blow it up trying to race everything in site :lol:

oops! she has just looked over my shoulder and seen my last post :oops:

she said i look scared when i am a passenger with her and she just finished getting my finger prints off the dashboard from the last time i went out with her.

she now wants to look at an M3 smg :head:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Mugs wrote:
Gazza wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go for a 318i lol
no, she would blow it up trying to race everything in site :lol:

oops! she has just looked over my shoulder and seen my last post :oops:

she said i look scared when i am a passenger with her and she just finished getting my finger prints off the dashboard from the last time i went out with her.

she now wants to look at an M3 smg :head:

I just bought an M3 CSL with SMG :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Gazza

ImageImage
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

unless i can talk her out of it, i might be joining you :D
billibob

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by billibob »

Slightly sideways on this thread. My wife drives a 3.0 Z3. She loves it but also likes my E46 330i tourer. Goes just as well power wise, just not quite like a go cart round corners. I know my E46 isn't a soft top but it's still fun to drive. Always puts a smile on my face. If you need info about E46s try E46Zone.com :)
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

thanks for the link Billibob, i will check it out :wink:
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

A bit late I know but I have a E46 Coupe 330i which is now used more than the Z, it has a few more bells etc but as I am getting on a bit I find them very useful such as cruise control and rear parking sensors also the run flat tyres are not the evil devil that were depicted years ago, but it is a low ride and where getting in is easy it's the getting out that shows your age.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

well, we've been to look at a few today, a couple of facelift 330s and a pre-facelift 325 (all sport models)
for some reason we both fell for the 325 as soon as we saw it.
it's a black 2001 with FSH and only 80k on the clock and it's immaculate. the black leather almost looks like it had never been sat in
ok, after driving my Subaru to and from the viewings and driving the 330s it felt a little tame but such a sweet engine.
it felt like sitting in an armchair so i didn't get a hint of back ache even after a half hour drive. :)
due to the rain today, they are putting it in the showroom and we're going back next weekend to check it over properly but i think we will be driving it home with us :wink:
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Very late to the party.. but well done on your choice! I bought a 330ci Cab last year, fantastic car. I paid a little over the odds for a minter (53k miles on 2004 plate, 2 owners), but well worth it. Personally I'd have gone for the 330ci as fuel economy difference is negligible but power is fairly significant, but you've driven it and are happy so who cares!?

I think they look nicer and have much better steering than any 3 series since, engine is lovely although could do with more grunt low down (however I've been used to V6 turbo diesels and V8 petrols since the Zed!). Not much to look for, my ignition coil just went, but common problem and dirt cheap to fix. I love the fact it has all the mod con toys without the annoying ones - so electric memory heated seats (and mirros), auto lights, wipers, parking sensors, cruise etc but has a proper hand brake, proper ignition key (after having keyless crap for a while, this is soooo much better), indicator stalks that work like they are supposed to work and just feels like a car you are in control with again.

And with the roof down, they look the business! Classic clean lines love it.

Only down side is mine has the full bluetooth phone prep, but won't pair with my phone. I can get an updated module for it, but finding one is nigh on impossible and expensive. Other than that, this is a keeper for a long while