Help Wiring Diagram

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Help Wiring Diagram

Post by calbens »

My zeds had an electrical gremlin for a very long time where the ASC & EML lights are permenantly on causing the loss of the rev counter, temperature guage and aircon.
It's never shown any faults when it's been previously hooked up and it appears to run unhindered. We're finally in the position to get it sorted and have taken it to the local indie garage where they've spent the last few hours looking at the console and the cambus (whatever one of those might be) but they said they are struggling to find anything and it's not helped because they don't have a wiring diagram for the Z3 because they are so old now :evil: :head:

Soooooo, by any chance does anyone here have any wiring diagrams that they could let me beg, steal or borrow?
I will be eternally grateful if you do :bow

Bex xx

PS It's nice to be back! :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Help Wiring Diagram

Post by Robert T »

Hi Bex. Long time no see!

Links to the wiring diagrams are in the knowledgebase here: viewtopic.php?t=34176

Do any of the gauges work? On mine I periodically have all four read zero. Turn off the car, wait a few mins and all comes back to life. Unfortunately this only happens about once every 6 months, so has proved impossible to trace, but I suspect a chafed cable and the gauges shut down to protect themselves.

The ASC and EML lights should be the result of error codes. You need to interrogate the ASC module via the round 20-pin connector under the bonnet. The one inside the car is only connected to the engine module.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

Hey Rob,
Thanks for the link to the diagrams, I should have checked there first shouldn't I :roll: Well done Gazza on finding them in the first place

On very rare occasions the EML & ASC go out, the rev counter, temperature gauge and service indicator lights return to normal but it's so spasmodic and then it goes again as quickly as it came back.
I used to get the seat belt light and EML on but that seems to have solved itself and changed to this instead...
The thing is, the cars been sorn for so long because it's not been needed that I've forgot most of the things that were wrong or possibly wrong with it :D
Did I read somewhere that the EML/ASC could be to do with dirty wheel sensors or have I just made that up in my head lol?
This getting old is rubbish!
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Probably the same diagrams, but from different server, just in case if some server goes offline when you need them:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/3138409/
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

Thanks for the links deni2s!

The garage seems to think it's the instrument cluster itself that is faulty. So now I'm on the hunt for a new one :cry: