HPI check - can you believe it?

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
davieb

M coupe S50

HPI check - can you believe it?

Post by davieb »

Hi

My son was selling his E46 M3 (still is actually). Had a buyer all set to come down to Devon from London to buy it - coming by train, quite a confident potential sale. The guy phones up a few days ago, says he has done an HPI check and it's showing as written off. News to my son, so there ensued a minor panic, obviously. So my son does an RAC HPI check - sure enough, written off. He then phones the garage he bought the car from. They do a different HPI check, which gives the full story - the car had a normal reg plate in the beginning. The then owner puts a personalised number plate on it. He then sells the M3 and puts his plate on a Ferrari, which is then written off. The M3 is intact, has never been written off, yet it comes up as written off.

Just a word of caution, not to believe everything you read.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: HPI check - can you believe it?

Post by BladeRunner919 »

davieb wrote: Just a word of caution, not to believe everything you read.
Does that mean you made the whole thing up? :lol:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The original HPI check from years ago was about £20, not like the numerous offerings at £2.99 upwards nowadays.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
davieb

M coupe S50

Post by davieb »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
davieb wrote: Just a word of caution, not to believe everything you read.
Does that mean you made the whole thing up? :lol:
Maybe..