What the..........

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

What the..........

Post by Bonzo »

I can't believe how many roadsters and other soft tops are actually driving around in brilliant sunshine with temps. well into the 70's with their tops up!
I get quite vocal when I see this :evil: and that annoys the hell out of my Mrs. :wink: She said that it was probably too hot for them so they kept the roof up and switched on the air con! :head: Why buy a soft top if you don't use it?? :shrug ..... Is it me?

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: What the..........

Post by handsomejackuk »

Bonzo wrote:I can't believe how many roadsters and other soft tops are actually driving around in brilliant sunshine with temps. well into the 70's with their tops up!
I get quite vocal when I see this :evil: and that annoys the hell out of my Mrs. :wink: She said that it was probably too hot for them so they kept the roof up and switched on the air con! :head: Why buy a soft top if you don't use it?? :shrug ..... Is it me?

yep i notice the same myself.... notice a lot of the tin tops seem too always have the roofs up especially peugeot variants... any chance we got to get the roof down we take it.. had it down all day today, and only put the top up when we parked in a busy town to protect the vlauables...
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Yep, love going out on a crisp winter mornings too, Jacket cap and scarf, heated seats on, hot air blowing on face hands and feet. Luverly!
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

yep beats going out on my motorbike and dressing up helmet gloves, thermals boots etc.. and being frozen, any tips on keeping warm this winter, my first winter with a convertible, thinking of getting a trapper hat.... got the heated seats and love them...
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

When we first got the Z3, we used to have the top down all the time, even at night and in winter, except when raining. Now the top is still mostly down, but on busy motorways (in this country) we sometimes put it up. Its just so noisy with the traffic noise and it's just not fun anymore. I know the opinion of having it down on principle and I used to be the same, but perhaps I'm getting old. There is a different experience as well with the roof up. You can go very fast in comfort without your ears being ripped off. But I agree, if you prefer the roof up most of the time, a car with a solid roof is much better. My Z hasnt got air-con. I think I might have been tempted driving in the south of France to occasionally have a roof up break as well if I had it.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I think it depends if it's a 2nd car or your main car. Mine is a 2nd car and I don't see much point going out in it unless I can put the roof down.

My brother has had his 1.9 from new (1999) and used it as his daily driver for 15 years. There's no way he was ever going to put the roof down every time he got it in, even on a nice day. Now it's his 2nd car over the last 2 years the roof goes down.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

John Wilson wrote:on busy motorways (in this country) we sometimes put it up.
I agree, a longish journey on a busy motorway is not so pleasant with the roof down. My favourite are warm Spring days when the sun is not scorching hot, when you can smell the hedgerows and hear the birds :D
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

How romantic Del!
With the top down I listen for the rorty exhaust not the ***** birdsong! :)
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

we had a great day out today.. top down just plodding about at 40-50mph no stress at all... just enjoying the scenery....with some tunes playing through the welsh country side....