Insurance :(

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
foxy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 1.9

Insurance :(

Post by foxy »

Thought id share with you the woes of driving a "performance car", having an ongoing claim by some bird who reversed into me and is disputing it so its going to court, and also having an SP30, having my 3 years NCB on suspend cos of the court case, oh and living in B32....

My new insurance premium with Elephant is £3,300...yes £3,300 per year!! :head: :(

Needless to say, im not going to be going with them again. After spending around 5 hours on the phone to insurance companies, have found another company that will insure it for just under £2k with all mods declared and will also refund the difference in premium once i get my no claims bonus back after the court case :)
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

OMG! If my insurance was that high, I would sell the car PDQ. £2k, :shake:
John Boy
2.8 Z3
foxy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by foxy »

But i cant get rid now - love it too much :cry:
R80TER

M roadster S50

Post by R80TER »

i thought mine was a lot at £900!!! blimey foxy, you must really love your car to pay 2k per year!!!
Now Car less :-(
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

£2k! Wow. :head: Too much, but hey it can only come down...and QUICKLY we hope too!
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

Wow £2k - that is not good! :shock: You have my sympathy!

It sounds like the insurers are taking your M badge seriously! :wink:
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

I think its wrong that the government allow companies to stiff us over like this, especially as car insurance is compulsory.

Its like saying to the insurance companies.

"They've got to buy your product, milk it for all you can."
Israel pulls out of Gaza Strip, Gaza not Pregnant!
BostonGreenZ3

M roadster S50

Post by BostonGreenZ3 »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

£2000 is just outrageous, I feel for you having to fork out this amount for the coming year :head:

I pay £288.62 fully comp with Esure, but I'm probably older than you and I also have full NCB.

I've got a good idea though, lets all have a whip round for foxy's insurance :wink: :lol: :lol:
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

I have some good news from the insurance company for a change. Just to recap....me...34, ///M, 6 yrs NCB, No points, no mods. My insurance this year has gone down on last year. Last year £960, this year £904. Its only goods news in the fact that this is the first time in my life that my insurance has gone down and not up. Its still bloody expensive, but living in Manchester I expect it to be. By the way, thats with First Alternative.

Tags
pdm

M roadster S54

Post by pdm »

34, M Roadster no mods, 3yrs NCB, BD20 area - £800 ish - 10 month bonus accelerator.

Elephant is cheap for me :D
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

A great tip if you're on Elephant -

Add your mother/wife/girlfriend (basically, any woman with 5+ years clean license) as a second driver. It knocked something like £300 off my quote! Also helps if you've got a tick in the "Drive other vehicles."

Also, if you do an online quote, do it as "Parked on a Garage." then phone them up, to confirm the quote, when they go through the details with you, claim you've made a mistake and THEN say "On the road/Driveway" etc, if they try and bump the price up, moan. It worked for me :D
Nick

Porsche

Post by Nick »

I'm always concerned that telephone calls leave you with no proof that you made the call to update their records.

However I have not heard of a case where the insurance companies choose to deny that a call was received.

Anyone had a bad experience?

Nick
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Yep, I always ask for stuff in writing.

When I had my write off in my old car, I called them up (as it was only a month into a new policy.) and was told, that when I took out a new policy with them, the remainder of my premium would be in credit. (at the time it was >£1000 worth of credit.)

Knowing what these people can be like, I got it in writing.

They never did try and wiggle out of it, but it always pays to be sure!
exodusbob

M roadster S50

Post by exodusbob »

Has anyone tried Sainsburys. I'm 30, 6 yrs NCB, Manchester postcode paying £600 on my MR, with protected NCB.
ogII

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by ogII »

At £3,000 is that car you're insuring or the chrome mods?
Big Red

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Big Red »

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeze,

That is expensive.

I pay £3.5K for my trade policy,covers me, wife and my mechanic, fully comp any vehicle, and I thought that was expensive.

Also covers my 2.8 zed, td5 discovery,525i and my zr7 bike.
Public liability,buildings insurance, engineering cover on lifting equipment, and around £100k worth of tools and equipment.

You are definately getting ripped of, unless you have a bad record of claims, or are sitting with to many points on your licence.

Definately worth shopping around , and once you have found a company in the real world, telling elephant NO THANKYOU, in your own words. :mrgreen:

Gordon
If it isn't broken, Don't try to fix it.
foxy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by foxy »

Yeah i have sorted it out now, with another company called Landmark Insurance, found them through a broker. They deal with people that have performance cars, points on licence and no no claims bonus. Got it for £1,900 and they have said once i get my claims bonus back they will refund the money so im a lot happier. It should go down to just under a grand once everything is completed with this other claim.

As for insuring the chrome - oh yes, all the chrome is insured, including my alloys, spoiler, steering wheel etc..... and no increase when i put the full body kit on either 8-)
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

exodusbob wrote:Has anyone tried Sainsburys. I'm 30, 6 yrs NCB, Manchester postcode paying £600 on my MR, with protected NCB.

What Manchester postcode is that? I am in M22. Is the Sainsburys insurance an online one or in the shop?

Cheers

Tags
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

foxy wrote:Yeah i have sorted it out now, with another company called Landmark Insurance, found them through a broker. They deal with people that have performance cars, points on licence and no no claims bonus. Got it for £1,900 and they have said once i get my claims bonus back they will refund the money so im a lot happier. It should go down to just under a grand once everything is completed with this other claim.

As for insuring the chrome - oh yes, all the chrome is insured, including my alloys, spoiler, steering wheel etc..... and no increase when i put the full body kit on either 8-)
Good stuff. Well done. :P
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)