Was last yrs Warranty Direct GB worth it for you?

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Was last yrs Warranty Direct GB worth it for you?

Post by tags »

Last year 25 or so Zroadster members bought into a warranty from Warranty Direct. There was lots of criticism regarding Warranty Direct and what was / was not covered, but at £290 for 13 months, it was worth a punt. My policy expires in March and i assume many others will be expiring in the coming months.

So, did anybody need to make a claim? Was you successful? How much and what was your claim for? etc.

I have not had to make a claim yet, but i am sure others have. It would be good to hear peoples experiences.

Tags
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Did you negotiate a discount for this due to 25 of you? and also would you have a list of what is covered or not covered?
Mods:
ECU Remap - Chipped UK
Angel Lights - Chromeline Design
E-Tech Strut Bar
///M Polished Aluminium Pedal Set
///M Silver Oil Filler Cap
Boot Spoiler
BMW Hardtop
BMW Chrome Tyre Valve Caps
Sony Headunit
BMW Williams F1 Tax Disc Holder
maahny

M coupe S50

Post by maahny »

I got my moneys worth. I claimed for a new radiator and viscous fan when fan shattered and went through the radiator.
Mr Tim

Z3 roadster 2.8

tags

Post by Mr Tim »

hi
ok mine runs out in march like yours so i am now thinking due i renew so if all of us get together again and see were to go from march Ok

Mr Tim
magpie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by magpie »

I was one of the 25, paying £260ish for the policy. I have just had a renewal letter quoting £425 for the same policy !

I did not make a claim on the policy during the 12 months, but would be willing to renew the policy if we can get the same level of group discount.

Like insurance, i would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it !!
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

Not the same policy in my case. They gave me a renewal, more money, less cover. The policy last year was 280 for gold cover, now they want 425 for bronze cover.

Tags
djv5

M roadster S52

Feedback on WD Group Policy

Post by djv5 »

Hi Guys,

I took advantage of the group policy which roadster1 organised on our behalf last year mainly for the Vanos cover which was included in the group policy, this wasn't the case with a normal WD gold cover.

I covered over 3500 miles travelling to France (over Millau bridge, before Clarkson) and then into Spain with my Z3M, excellent top down all the way.

However after being back in the UK for about a week I noticed vibration and noise problems, plus lack of power on initial start up. BMW dealers in Newcastle diagnosed faulty sensors after a day of checks, one was replaced. This appeared to improve things but when it was returned for the other sensor the dealers advised the Vanos required replacing. This was ordered and during replacement I was contacted by the dealers to advise that they had noticed that the cylinder head intermediate housing was cracked. This was where the Vanos unit attached to the cylinder head. They ordered a new one and it was replaced together with the Vanos unit. The car has been running fine since then. (July 05)

When I initially advise WD about the Vanos unit they quickly told me that the Vanos wasn't covered. I had to send them an email from their sales staff which confirmed this cover, this email was received prior to me taking out the cover. when I calimed from WD the upper cylinder head (or cylinder head intermediate housing) was described by them as a cam carrier which wasn't on their list of engine items covered. (well fancy that) I argued that if BMW call it an upper cylinder head then they should also use the manufacturers technical terminology. The BMW dealers went through the motions of attempting some partial payment recovery but came back with great apologies, but no help - the car was too old 1998.

I did receive payment for the supply & replacement of the Vanos unit from WD (£1419.80) but this still left a large amount of money outstanding for the Upper cylinder head reaplcement and labour costs to fit it.

I followed WD's complaints procedure to the letter, firstly I sent letters to their Managing Director, then to the Chief Engineer but they still maintained it was a cam carrier NOT part of the cylinder head.

I then went to the insurance company who enlisted an independant engineer who came back with the same story.

Then I made a complaint to Lloyds regarding WD not using the BMW engineering terminology with regard to their warranted engine parts.
You are entitled to a response within 14 days. I informed Lloyds that I hadn't received any response after 15 days. I was advised that they had raised an investigation into my complaint and also the outstanding claim. I then received a standard letter from WD with a cheque for £1899.92 - no explanation. I had previously paid the £15 fast track payment at the time of the repair so the two payments cover the parts & labour.

My response to their none acceptance of the technical part was:-

"BMW have stated categorically that this is a Cylinder Head and is listed in their BMW Technical Information System (TIS). This system documents the part as Upper Cylinder Head / Intermediate Housing, it also refers to the unit as an upper Cylinder Head / Timing Case either way it is a composite part of the cylinder head of a BMW Z3M which WD agreed to provide a warranty. "

Time from my first discussion with WD to final payment 5 months.

Regards,

David J. Vasey (djv5)