Dolomites review, July 7th - 15th 2007

Photos and reports from past events
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Dolomites review, July 7th - 15th 2007

Post by greg_ch »

I'm not planning a full write up. Just an introduction, some tips and a few pictures with narration.

10 cars and 17 lovely people found ourselves in the Dolomites (Südtirol), an autonomous region http://www.altabadia.com/en/altabadia.htm between Innsbruck and Venice in the second week of July this year.

The inspiration for a Dolomites trip came a couple of years ago when a leading member of the Swiss BMW Roadster club, Oliz mentioned he was planing a tour to go and explore the region. David and I liked the idea but already had notations of visiting St Moritz in 2006. It never went away and last autumn we agreed to set up a Dolomites trip.

For a number of reasons David - earlier in the year - flagged up that he may not be able to attend. Unfortunately that's how it turned out. I'd like to pay tribute to the efforts David made. The hotel in particular turned out to be excellent, with a good half board menu, modern wellness, flexible staff and a friendly barman!. Those of you who have been on a trip like this before, know a good base is critical to the success of the event.

If anyone is inspired to visit the region here are some things to keep in mind and you'll enjoy it all the more.

- It takes a long time to get there, 2 full days from the UK channel ports.

- The roads are much slower narrower and of a poorer quality than those in Switzerland, where we have been to in the last few years. The roads and passes are main trunk routes and thus attract a lot of local, transit and tourist traffic. Expect to be regularly stuck behind trucks and busses. The roads are less open so overtaking opportunities are limited. You're more likely to hear back up, back up than clear, clear on the radio.

- Take your walking boots or rent a bike. There is lots to explore and enjoy.

- Broadminded if you visit the sauna!

- The area is very popular with German and Italian speaking tourists, so a little of both language is helpful.

- Don't rely 100% on BMW or TT navigation, paper maps are more reliable.

- Weather, plan for 30 degree heat, rain and snow. The weather changes rapidly in the mountains and the Dolomites no exception.

We loved out time their so Linda and I are already planning a return visit to explore some of the things we didn't get done this time.

We enjoyed two notable firsts on this trip.

1. Our furthest traveling participant, all the way from Malaysia. Well done Adrian. The next JD is on me.
2. We only completed a single planned route! preferring instead to take things a little easier. As I said before it takes a long time to get there.

Finally I'd like to say a special thanks to each and every person who attended. You made the event very special indeed. Thank you.

Alfie and Diane
Dario
Greg and Linda
Hervé
Mark and Tammy
Mike
Nick and Theresia
Pete and his brother Adrian
Russ and Chris
Simmer

A DVD including movies and pictures will be made available to all participants if they wish.

In the meantime here are some pictures while you wait.

SUNDAY

Linda and I arrived a day early - Saturday - so we could take part in the Sella Ronda bike Day. For the cyclists amongst you it takes in 4 passes of varying height and grade, all of which are regularly used in the Giro d'Italia. Passo Campolongo 1.875 m, Passo Pordoi 2.242 m, Passo Sella 2.244 m, Passo Gardena 2.137 m What made it very special was the atmosphere and closed roads.

Corvara in Badia

A rest. On top of the Passo di Sella

Beautiful scenery, 31 degrees and no cars, biking doesn't get much better than this.

The Eastern Alps don't have the height of the Western Alps but they are imposing and spectacular none the less.

Deep green and blues are the colors I see.

Hiking, biking and climbing, it can all be enjoyed here

Now that's a big rock

Southern elevation of the Campolongo

Hairpins on the southern slopes of the Passo Pordoi

MONDAY

A day of orientation. On Monday we learnt to take our time and relax. A cold sandwich in a flooding Cortina taught us to get lunch before 13:15.

Is this one of he mot beautiful cars BMW have made. I think so. Russ and Chris picking up the pace on the Passo Pordoi.

Concentrated cornering, greasy roads called on all the senses.

We all had DSC, it's nice to know it's there, just in case.

Pete leading the way on the Western slopes of the Passo Pordoi.

Flat cornering on the Passo Pordoi

Red ///M on the Western slopes of the Passo Pordoi

Here come the Germans, well not quite. Mark, Tammy and Mike are actually Americans in American spec Z's living in Germany. It's always interesting to note the differences between the Euro and American cars.

Here come the 3's

3 and 4 in harmony

Hairpin on the way down. Sunnier Eastern Slopes of the Passo Pordoi

Precise turn-in

That's not a BMW! Do I want one, yes.

TUESDAY

A day of extremes. It started damp and grey, snowed at 2 degrees on the Passo di Falzarego and was a warm and sunny 25 degrees in the Val di Funes. Mountain weather.

July snow as Dario ascends the Passo di Falzarego

Sometimes you get lucky. On Monday we ended up in Cortina for lunch, a candidate for the world's worst one way system btw. Cutting through on one of the many narrow roads to avoid Cortina we stumbled on a restaurant in the most idilic location. I still still don't know exactly where it is! BMW Nav reported a thin line and TT outer space.

Glacial blue waters, somewhere in the Val Travenànzes

Tall pines in the Val Travenànzes

Breath in. View down the Val di Funes. The roads that lead us in to the Val di Funes are some of the narrowest I've ever traveled on. In some places single track would have be been inaccurate with half track closer to the truth.

Simmer's Aston V8 Vantage ascending the Passo di Sella. This car look amazing from every angle!

Simmer's Aston V8 Vantage rounding a hairpin on the Passo di Sella. The aggressive rock that characterizes the Dolomites provides a stunning backdrop for such a beautiful car.

Leading the way, Alfie and Diane round the same bend on the Passo di Sella. Red ///M always looks great in photos.

Mike's Silver Grey ///M. It's hard to say what look best, the Passo di Sella or the Z4 ///M.

Mark, Tammy and Mike making their way up the Passo di Sella

Alfie and Diane heading down the Passo Gardena. We were stuck behind a buss at the time, something we got used to. A slower pace gave us more chance to enjoy the scenery.

WEDNESDAY

The official rest day. Some people went to Venice, others Lake Garda, some stayed close to the hotel and enjoyed the wellness and bar. Nick, Theresia, Linda and I hiked to the summit of the 2700 m La Mesola, which towers over the ski resort of Arabba.

A view of Passo Pordoi from the lower slopes of La Mesola.

A view from 3/4 of the way up La Mesola.

THURSDAY

Grossglockner, a mountain in the Südtirol with it's own private mountain toll road. 42 EUR in total, I also bought the EUR 4 guidebook. The consensus was that it was probably not worth it. Maybe we would have felt differently if the weather was better and if we were located closer to it.

It's all looking a bit grey! Wouldn't you if you'd spent EUR 10 to go through the tunnel and EUR 28 to access the Grossglockner road. Now, I know why they have such a nice website!

Kaiser-Franz-Josef glacier on the Grossglockner

Room for a small one? Dario's impromptu passenger on the Gross Glockner

FRIDAY

Friday became an impromptu rest day before we all headed home on Saturday and Sunday. Some headed off to take pictures, most washed cars in the morning, enjoyed a long lunch. Dario and I ventured out in the evening for a spirited drive up and down the Passo di Falzarego, a road we'd come to enjoy very much.
Last edited by greg_ch on Sun 16 Sep, 2007 00:57, edited 3 times in total.
daverave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by daverave »

Wow what fantastic photos from what must have been an unforgetable trip.
ImageImage
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Excellent overview Greg :D

Gutted I couldn't join you all... some stunning pictures, I bet Simmer and the guys must be chuffed at seeing some of those pics :P

garyw
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Stunning pictures, thanks for sharing Greg.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Wow, super photos, greg. I'm just the teensiest bit jealous! :bawl:

That is what zedding is all about! :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
JAY
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by JAY »

Thanks for sharing Greg.

Pics look amazing
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Fantastic pictures.
Thanks for the posting
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Excellent snaps. Thank you so much for sharing these. Glad you all had such a great time.

Conor
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Wow looks wonderful folks!

But who was driving the 'cortina'? :lol: :lol: :lol:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

I am guessing you are a pro photograhper (with the copyright on them), but I would have though that anyway the standard is just so high.
Thanks for sharing. this is a thread I will come back to just look at the pics :zmurf:
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Excellent pictures - great inspiration for a zed based holiday 8-)
Nick

Porsche

Post by Nick »

Great pictures Greg, thanks for posting them.

:)
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Great pics.

I visited the Großglockner in glorious sunshine in 2005 and was so entranced that if I'd had a spare day I would have paid my dues (€17 on a bike) to do it all over again. I'll be in the Dolomites this September and checking the provisional route, we'll be including Sellajoch (Passo di Sella) on two of the days. Looks brill.

Tim
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

For the record, I do sell the odd one but I'm not a pro photographer, just an enthusiastic amateur.

For those who are interested in these things.

Cameras and metering

All the images with cars were taken with a Nikon D200 mated to Nikon Pro glass. The images were shot in either 'shutter priority' or 'aperture priority' with matrix/evaluative metering. Focus? A mix of manual and continuous auto-focus.

Most of landscape images were taken with a Canon G7 digicam, while I was out on the bike or walking. They were shot in either Manual or Aperture priority mode metering for the blue sky to emphasise it.

White balancing was pretty crude, meter of the back of the hand a minus a stop. Not up to the standard of a white balance card but surprisingly effective none the less.

Workflow

I normally use a RAW/NEF workflow, but as those who know me are aware I don't have much of an interest in car photography so I almost exclusively shoot JPGs for convenience. The Canon G7 can only take JPGs.

33 of the 35 images posted were JPG's directly from the camera with no color or level changes. The remaining 2 (Of the small blue lake) were NEFs. The only adjustments made were to lift the shadow detail a touch.
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Tremendous write up Greg.

Thanks for sharing 8-)