Sep 17 (Fri/Sat): South/Mid Wales run

Photos and reports from past events
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Sep 17 (Fri/Sat): South/Mid Wales run

Post by Zmeagol »

This is intended to be a Friday afternoon/Saturday morning cruise that will link on Saturday afternoon with the North Wales cruise--details at viewtopic.php?t=1995

The Friday section would start late morning near Worcester [2] and head over the Malvern Hills [2], through the Breacon Beacons [3], and via Llyn Brianne [4].

Saturday morning would incorporate the Elan Valley [5], the A44 [6], the A495 from Welshpool [7], Lake Vrynwy [8], Berwyn Mountain [9], the B4407 [10] and Mynydd Hiraethog [11]. This draft route would be modified as necessary to provide the best link up with the main group coming from Shrewsbury on Saturday afternoon.

Checkout Point and Squirt for details of some of the locations.

Tim

INITIAL INTEREST
Zmurf, Z4
garyw, Porsche
DavidM, M Roadster
Phil, M Roadster
Last edited by Zmeagol on Wed 22 Sep, 2004 12:59, edited 8 times in total.
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Tim ,I'm a little confused more so even now. Worcester When?

Cheers Gary
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Set off on Friday Sep 17 late morning, or whatever time we decide. According to Autoroute it would take me just over three hours from Eastbourne to Worcester*.

A more detailed Welsh route and a decision on the Friday overnight stop is best left until I know if people are interested and what time they feel they could start on Friday.

Tim

*And wouldn't you know it, the route passes within five miles of the centre of the universe (aka Solihull).
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Why not start it a bit lower - Monmouth or the like and go through the Forest of Dean or alongside the Severn?
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

That's an option, alternatively there could be two initial routes that meet at the Brecon Beacons. Are you going on the main trip? There's not much hotel space left.

Tim
Last edited by Zmeagol on Sat 29 May, 2004 12:10, edited 2 times in total.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Sorted - we are now booked in :D

Tim if you want some help with a southern part of the run - I can help - I hail from those parts originally so ... If the friday thing is a definite let me know as if PN and I attend for that bit too, we'll need to book a day off :D
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

David

All help gratefully accepted--I used to work on the Treforest Trading Estate at Pontypridd, as did another fairly good singer (yeah).

We need to wait a while until the Saturday afternoon route from Shrewsbury is finalised--they are now thinking of going via Lake Vrynwy [8] so that could be the Sat pm meeting place, in which case it means we have potential for a deeper penetration into Wales.

So the choices could be (a) start later on Friday, (b) include the Wye Valley after the Malverns, (c) spend longer in the Brecon Beacons, (d) include Aberystwyth, etc. But it makes sense to wait until we know how many are interested, then fix a hotel for the Friday night.

Cheers
Tim
Last edited by Zmeagol on Sat 29 May, 2004 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Need 8 Days a Week!!!

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

:roll: Not enough days in the calender to , to fit in all the cruise,s in the UK, without Europe!!!. I was in the Beacons for Sunday AM drive, a couple of weeks ago, with the Central regions Welsh members.Wonderful scenery, and flowing roads.We were advised from our locals, about the numbers of sheep all trotting along the roads, some other drivers not slowing , two of our group suffering big sheep ,damage in the past.As the weather was great, the Bikers were out in force and filled some of the observation parking points. Well worth some visit,s. :D
safetyfast
SAMMY

BMW convertible

Post by SAMMY »

Hi all

Any chance of registering my interest for this one please ? I have scans of maps and roads that I did last year and marks out of 3 from the Llanberis pass to a bit of road that Vicky Butler Henderson drove the Lambo Murichello on recently - absolutley awesome road but not long enough any good to you guys ?? :mrgreen:
SAMMY

BMW convertible

Post by SAMMY »

If you haven't yet worked a route home out you may want to consider the
A5 lovely bit of dual C. On the way up are you looking at the A470 and A494 2 very nice roads ????
8-)

If you want the road the VB Henderson drove on then let me know and I'll dig it out it was in the breacon beacons off the beaten track !!!
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Fri/Sat South-Mid Wales cruise update
I shall be in Harrogate the previous evening, so the start point will probably be the world famous international venue of Solihull. I'm assuming it will be a fairly small group of drivers, all of whom are then participating in the Sat/Sun cruise in North Wales. Please register your interest below. More info will be posted shortly.

Tim

Der Adler ist gelandet (M roadster gone, Z4 SMG in place)
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Tim, before I can say a definate Yes, are we talking North, South, East or West Solihull? :wink:
Still awaiting confirmation that I can get Friday clear from working, but I'm up for the meet for this event. look forward to more details, after all Solihulll is a big world :lol:

Garyw
Phil

M roadster S54

Solihull -mmmmmmmmmmm

Post by Phil »

I take you mean starting on Friday in Solihull or are you talking Saturday?
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Yes, Friday in Solihull, probably late morning about 11:09:45. And as near as possible to the 1957 Jamboree site as that's the only part I've ever been to.
Freezed

Z3 roadster 3.0i

South/Mid Wales run

Post by Freezed »

Hi Guys

Has a hotel been selected for Friday 17th Sept yet?

We would like to join you :?
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Hotel isn't fixed yet. Are you planning to also attend the Sat/Sun run: viewtopic.php?p=12850

Tim
Freezed

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Welsh Cruise

Post by Freezed »

Yes :lol:

Thanks Tim.............have booked The Padarn Lake Hotel for Saturday, just need to organise the evening meal with you guys.

Wait to hear for Friday then :?:

Looking to join the convoy at Worcester :bounce:

Trev
Simmer
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by Simmer »

You might want to look at the Z4um.com thread then, I believe all the meals etc are being co-ordianted there
Freezed

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Welsh Criuse Friday 17th Sept

Post by Freezed »

Hi all

Does anyone know if a Hotel for Friday pm has been chosen as yet :?:

If not and due to the fact that Les and myself will be out of circulation till after the Bank Holiday, would someone kindly book us a double room if and when please :wink:

Reward.........................BEER :D :D :D :D

Thanks
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

OK, I have just found out that my wife has to work on the Friday so we can't (OK I know I could) make our way until late Friday or probably and sensibly Saturday morning. :cry:
So will meet with the Saturday convoy which seems to be making its way to M42(Jnc 2) services and on to Shrewsbury.
Garyw
mike.griff77

Z3 roadster 1.9

Check you diary!

Post by mike.griff77 »

Guys,

Three questions!

1) Ive only got a 1.9 er, will I keep up with the run!
2) I am away until Friday night, can I come along on Saturday, I live in Cardiff.
3) This will be my first run, so If you can let me know where you'll be on Saturday it would be good to meet everyone.

Cheers

Mike
Miss M

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by Miss M »

Hi Mike!

You'll def be able to keep up - we did the run yesterday and it's a great route but not a mad racing route!!

This is the original Zroadster thread about it viewtopic.php?t=1995

and this is the thread on our forum that has all of the info in it
http://www.z4um.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3812

PM me your email address and I'll send out all the info to you - if you want to stay over, I'd recommend calling the hotels listing in the Z4um thread pronto to see if you can get a room, try the Quality Snowdonia first, then Padarn Lake.

Rgds
Moshy :D
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Several people have either cancelled the North Wales trip or (due to my inaction) have made alternative arrangements that don't include the South/Mid Wales portion. I will still be doing a loop through South/Mid Wales on the Friday and Saturday morning and will use this as a planning run for a stand-alone event possibly early next year. If you're in the area and want to tag along, you're welcome--email me at tim.cullis@infar.co.uk or phone me nearer the day on 07976 683999

Tim