A UK meet - has this ever been tried ?

Photos and reports from past events

A UK meet - has this ever been tried ?

Post by Guest »

I was watching the Honda ad last night – you know the one where they have loads of them parked up and they do a “light show” – don’t think it’s computer graphics?

Anyway it got me thinking…what’s the largest group gathering the forum has ever had?

What if…

· We had a UK meet, not a cruise as that would probably cause traffic chaos but a meet and greet at a large enough venue to accommodate the size of the group.

Then on my way to work my mind was working overtime…

· Would BMW be interested in the event?
· We could make it a stay over

:?: Camping
:?: BBQ’s
:?: The odd beer/glass of wine
:?: Stalls selling goods we would be interested in buying
:?: People buying/selling Z3 items they no longer want/need
:?: Music
:?: Food stalls
:?: Etc. etc

· We could meet mid UK.

Don’t know about you guys, never been on a meet but looked at some pictures after the event and got a lump in my throat seeing all those Z3’s parked up – looks amazing.

How cooooooool would it be to have a really big gathering?

What do you all think? Is it a goer for next year? Would take some planning/organising – maybe June 2010 – we could “order a sunny weekend”!! 8-)

Am I mad? Or does anyone else think this would be cool?
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Sounds like a good idea, well done for volunteering to organise it :lol:

Post by Guest »

Jamezee wrote:Sounds like a good idea, well done for volunteering to organise it :lol:
If it were to be a "goer" I'd be well up for being one of the organisers - event like this would probably need a few co-ordinators..... so volunteers welcome.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Why not come to Gaydon for the BMWCC Festival on 16th August. Hundreds of BMWs and one year there were lots of Zs parked together.
Chance to go on the Aston Martin test track as well to give your car a bit of a blast.
Below is the advert from the website.

This is now THE BMW Festival in Europe (and possibly the world!)with 1000s of BMWs on site. Massive displays of M POwer, Zeds, Alpina etc. Loads of Trade Stands. "Performace Corner" where manufacturers and tuners have stands as well as track cars that visitors can win trips in if they win in the massive Tombola. Special 8 series 20th birthday display, AC Schnitzer display inside plus photos from club photo competition. Once again at the Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon, Warwickshire. Advance tickets from club office 01225 709009
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

There were approx 40 Zeds at our meet at Gaydon in April 06.
Click:
Gaydon 1
Gaydon 2

And more than that at the Zed-Cars Dunsfold Gathering in July 07:
Dunsfold 1
Dunsfold 2

Enjoy!

No reason these events can't happen again.
Well volunteered!

A.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

I think we've also seen 50+ zed's in the lakes a few years back, when we have to split into three or four groups to avoid bringing the place to (more) chaos!

Will have to dig some pics out.

In the meantime, I'd agree with Phil, Gaydon is the right place to try and organise this.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: A UK meet - has this ever been tried ?

Post by Titan »

Snoops wrote: Am I mad?
Probably :D
But why should you be any different from the rest of us :devil:
Sounds like a great idea.
I don't see meeting somewhere being a problem but encouraging trade stands may be difficult given the (relatively) small numbers of vehicles that are likely to be involved.
Image :devil:
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

maybe santa pod race track ,they have various car days ,bmw,ford etc,and its pretty central in england,they might go for a z day,z1,z3,z4
could work :?:

Post by Guest »

OOO a couple of positive people !!

I know there are other shows, BMW etc etc but they're not Zed only and I just thought Zed only - the full range though Z1 right through to new Z4. That's where I thought BMW might be interested - they could only say no... if you don't ask you don't get and I have been known to bring salesmen to tears wheeling and dealing.

There are over 90 Zed owners on the "whats your Z thread" - albeit at least one from Perth so it might be a tad too far to travel from there, but Europe - why not?

Come on are you Zedders or just BMW drivers?

Get your thinking caps on, surely there are some other ideas people want to throw in the ring, they were just 30 mins of me thinking on my way to work...

The gauntlet is down, come on you lot, show Zroadster.net what you're made of.. :drive
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

ok,allthough there are a heap of z cars around the country ,i think a great place for a show would be,in the car-park of the dome,the o-2 in london,you could get maybe the press to cover as well

further north,santa pod
south-brighton sea front

:?: :?: :?: what about a charity event,a london to brighton,starting at the 0-2 dome finish brighton sea front,im sure that getting in touch with london and brighton council they would be glad to help,rise a load of cash for charity as well,

id be up for that,rain,sun,snow ill be there 8-) 8-)
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

321bhp wrote: :?: :?: :?: what about a charity event,a london to brighton,starting at the 0-2 dome finish brighton sea front...
Nice idea, but....
321bhp wrote:im sure that getting in touch with london and brighton council they would be glad to help
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

'Terry-World' must be such a lovely place to be!

A.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

How much to hire Santa Pod - and who is going to finance it if no one turns up .
Gaydon is free.
These events have taken place in the past and work well providing there is a committment from a number of people.
We had a gathering a year or so back using Gaydon and The Pheasant at Wellesbourne.
There are events taking place all the time if you are interested.
Next weekend there are about 20 Zeds meeting up in Wales.
What have you all got in mind?
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

Alfie wrote:
321bhp wrote: :?: :?: :?: what about a charity event,a london to brighton,starting at the 0-2 dome finish brighton sea front...
Nice idea, but....
321bhp wrote:im sure that getting in touch with london and brighton council they would be glad to help
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

'Terry-World' must be such a lovely place to be!

A.
yeah i love terry world, anyway did a bit of a recce tonight through from the 0-2 through brixton ,and decided that only a large gun will get us passed the posse there,so looks like its off ,so another idea :idea:

what about a sponsered charity event,a midnight round trip of the M25,
pop_sausage

Z4 M roadster

Post by pop_sausage »

The problem with big events is the massive organisation it takes to get it rolling. I won't bore you, but it was just impractical for me to organise it this year without knowing for sure that I'd attract 120+ cars.

I think we're very lucky. The Z Meets in this country are fantastic and there's never a month go by without something on. I've been on a z4-forum cruise, London tunnel Run, PVR's Germany break, organised 2 Surrey cruises with Roaders, and hopefully running with Spokey's one in a few weeks. 6 in 6 months. That's not bad going. There has also been this year (from memory) Nick Wright's track days, runs and monthly meets oopnurth and Irish events.

There's a Zed-Cars Wales weekender next week (1 room available I think), Cat and Fiddle, Yorkshire and Lakes Weekenders for later in the year. I'll be doing a Cotswold day at some point. Highlander will return next spring. Alps is being talked about again for next summer. No doubt a Christmas party and many 1 day blasts.

Take your pick...

8-) 8-) 8-)

Post by Guest »

Has everyone heard or been involved in brain storming?

Well if not this is the concept...

There are four basic rules in brainstorming. These are intended to reduce social inhibitions among groups members, stimulate idea generation, and increase overall creativity of the group.

The greater the number of ideas, the greater the chance of producing a radical and effective solution.

Withhold criticism: In brainstorming, criticism of ideas generated should be put 'on hold'. Instead, participants should focus on extending or adding to ideas, reserving criticism for a later 'critical stage' of the process. By suspending judgment, participants will feel free to generate unusual ideas.

Welcome unusual ideas: To get a good and long list of ideas, unusual ideas are welcomed. They can be generated by looking from new perspectives and suspending assumptions. These new ways of thinking may provide better solutions.

Combine and improve ideas: Good ideas may be combined to form a single better good idea, as suggested by the slogan "1+1=3". It is believed to stimulate the building of ideas by a process of association.

Well it might help if we adopt this principal and withold shooting people down...

ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME

Yes I know there are various meets and drives across the country that people join in and that's great and it's good that you do and enjoy that.

I've just put an idea in the ring for a Z weekend ? That's the basic principal, what it eventually becomes is up to us surely, those that feel they want to participate put some ideas forward, but please (at this stage) don't be negative about anything, don't stifle people, let the ideas flow.

Post by Guest »

Here's a couple more ideas...

I've already suggested basing it around a camping weekend so I'm just wading through campsites in the midlands'ish..

One site has a function room... we could maybe have a "do" on the Saturday night, disco, meal (bbq), raffle etc.etc.

If we spoke to the campsite owner well enough in advance could secure large enough plot to put us all together.

Saturday morning get up for bacon barms then mid morning, for those that wanted to, a cruise, coming back to the sound of cans opening and corks popping.

Just found a site that a fish and chip van visits on Saturday nights.
jollyassassin

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by jollyassassin »

This seems like & great idea snoops. I would really be up for this. Ill keep checking to see how things develop.
ribs

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by ribs »

myredzed is already organising a zroadster club stand at Santapod Ultimate BMW Show on 20th September. Can I suggest that we all get behind him (not literally!!) and see if we can take the show over this year.

see this thread.... http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

It would also give everyone some idea of how many zed owners are willing to travel.

I've got a thing going on in my village in Bedfordshire in July too...

see this thread.... http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

... there are plenty of spaces :head: :bawl:

The Little Red Roadster

Post by Guest »

Fraid we can't make July or September, already have holiday arrangements that clash.

It's one of the reasons I was trying to get something off the ground for next year, get a feel for how many would be interested, giving people enough time to keep their diaries free if they really wanted to go.

Keep the feedback and suggestions coming for this thread though and I'll keep track of ideas and people interested.

If you think you might be interested just post that, it will give me some idea. 8-)
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Always interested but not camping for us.

Post by Guest »

Phil wrote:Always interested but not camping for us.
No probs Phil, I'm sure there will be others, tbh my back would prefer a proper bed ! :)

Nothing is set in stone, we can mix and match, just need to plan well ahead to make sure we have plenty of options and cater for everyone that's interested.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

For a national meet both options should be catered for ie a location with a campsite and a hotel nearby -- not difficult -- its been done many times before. :)