Aug 22 (Sun) - BMWCCGB national meeting, Gaydon, Warwicks

Photos and reports from past events
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Aug 22 (Sun) - BMWCCGB national meeting, Gaydon, Warwicks

Post by Zmeagol »

Jeff Haywood, BMWCCGB chairman wrote:The National is on the 22nd August 2004. It would be great if you could push the gathering on the message board.
We had a 'fair' number of Z's this year, but it would be nice to have a really big turnout, maybe 60-100.
We didn't get much notice of the 2003 event so the Z representation wasn't as strong as it could have been. The national meeting has been criticised in the past for being a bit of a 'static' event, but having seen what the Swiss can do at a static event--mini cruises going zooming off every half hour or so plus various other ideas--we could turn this into something quite good.

Tim
Last edited by Zmeagol on Thu 10 Jun, 2004 22:28, edited 2 times in total.
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

I went down last year as part of the Scottish Region of the BMWCCGB. Apart from myself, there was also a Z3M Coupe and a Z1 in our contingent - we even adopted Madiera Jon for the weekend. We had a fantastic time and plan to go again next year. Some of my pics can be seen at http://www.nrobinson5.pwp.blueyonder.co ... Gaydon.htm.
First few pics are of the Z Register line-up!
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Info from zzzzemmco
Hi Tim, I attended a meeting to-day at Gaydon, to discuss the Club's programmes for a more interesting meeting. I passed on some comments on the wishes for more activity and variety. I think we now have a solution to coming and going from the entrance, so runouts are are no problem. We also will be having the Club / IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) runs, so will have a safety area, allowing for slow movement of cars away from the static area.

We have a number of ideas which should make it a much more "Get involved" rather than stand and look--like perhaps a championship for radio controlled cars, and an offsite driving competition. All TBA, so will await OK.

I thought this was a opportunity for you, to perhaps think out what you would suggest for the Register, and the How, What and When + Who , will look after the organisation of the Ideas?? We have 6 months but--time flies. Let me know if you are interested, while you are sorting out details. John S.
Last edited by Zmeagol on Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:09, edited 3 times in total.
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

I am planning to attend as the event is really just up the road from us. I would certainly support anything that would not only promote the Z profile, but moreover make the whole event itself a bit more 'lively' than last year and some of the ideas talked about by John S very much seem along the right lines :)

My personal ability to commit time is a little uncertain right now, but what's the general view/plans to attend of fellow Zed'rs?
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

There's a lot of thought going into activities for Gaydon, both from the National Committee and from the Z Register committee.

Phil is identifying two mini-cruise routes (about 25 miles) to be operated as off-site activites at Gaydon, one for the morning, one for the afternoon. The idea is that each mini-cruise will take up to a certain number of cars (say eight) and people will be able to join a car line for the next departing cruise. The routes will be run in alternate directions so that cruise groups will come across other cruise groups during the run.

We will need half a dozen people who will help on the day doing things like marshalling the zed parking and leading mini-cruises. Ideally we need more than six, as the more volunteers there are, the less work for each person.

Tim
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

I will be at Gaydon, but would be a bit tied up with the South East display, I should be available to do a bit of marshalling if needed. Depending on my commitments with the rest of the Festival, might be able to lead a couple of the cruises.
I'm not 100% certain what the South east have planned as yet, but it will only be static.
I'm sure I can fit some more in to help out the register as well.
Tony

And Dont forget I do have Baby M if there is to be a R/C cars event.
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Gaydon August 22

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Lots of activities planned for varied Interests.Z cruise,s- a few more details to fill in, trying to fit in a Show n Shine session which still allows drivers ,to do the morning cruise.YES, there will be a Radio Controlled Car competition around a circuit, for which a "Circuit Builder" ++ is required Please.Advice on this and materials needed, Well before the date and a PM to me.I am putting up a Prize for "better driving R/C day"winner, and Best Static car.

We want as many Entrants as possible, and get our Juniors involved while they are waiting for their Full size cars.

We need Help with Set up, on Saturday and a few hours on the Sunday.
The Club has a small number of B & B places to offer you, if you are long distance helpers.Lunch & entrance tickets will be given to helpers. All offers of help or advice required, please PM to me, Thankyou. :lol:
safetyfast
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Possible date

Post by stu »

Will have the X3 then (due this month) and could bring the Z3s, Sylv & kids as well. Just need to organise a picnic (Rach?).
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

So far the list of those probably going/helping is

ZZZEMMCO: busy with overall organisation
Nero: probably helping Scottish Region
TonyCal: helping SE Region display, could lead one of the runs

Phil: organising runs, leading one of the runs
Tim: organising static display, leading one of the runs
Spokey: marshalling Z1 display, leading one of the runs
Simmer: helping where needed

Stu/Sylv
Simon Taylor
Giles/Larri

If anyone is likely to be coming and can give a hand, please post below.

Tim
Last edited by Zmeagol on Thu 10 Jun, 2004 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

I was there last year. Really enjoyed the motor museum & looking at Z8's & 507's & went on the off road ride with Jay & Lisa.
Last edited by Robin on Tue 06 Jul, 2004 10:23, edited 2 times in total.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Simmer
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by Simmer »

Hi Tim,

I should be going, so more than happy to help where I can :D
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

robin wrote:unless there is something else like cruising off
There ARE cruises.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Tickets

Post by stu »

Can we get tickets through the Z register Tim?

Will plan some time in to polish the Z and clean up under bonnet etc.
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

BMW Festival 2004

The Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon in Warwickshire is once again playing host to THE annual BMW Festival in the UK. This year there will be more cars, more stands and more attractions than ever before.

Over 1000 cars are expected and there will be huge displays of M Power cars, all the Z variants, Coupes old and new, ‘02s, E30s, E21s, 7-series, and M535s as well as a display of historic cars as part of the BMW heritage.

The club will be holding its annual concours for club members which is being sponsored by John Drake who is a UK supplier of Zymol products.

There is also a Show and Shine competition which is OPEN TO EVERYONE and for which Meguiars are providing a cup and detailing products for the winners.

Technical seminars are planned to include:
- Preparing Your Car For Track Days,
- Tyres – everything you wanted to know (by Tyres Direct/Conway),
- Wheel Renovation (by A1 Wheel Renovation) and
- Car Detailing (by Meguiars).

There is a HUGE RAFFLE with prizes donated by Opie Oils (Oils to the value of £50), 2004 Pirelli Calendar, Detailing products from Meguiars and The Polishing Company, and annual subscriptions to BMW Car, Performance BMW and Total BMW magazines. Additional raffle prizes are also expected from Lloyds TSB, Alpina, Tyres Direct and Footman James who may well offer an insurance discount as a prize.

The Pirelli Rally Simulator will be there again with a 1/18 scale CSL 3.5 IMSA model (value £50) for the fastest time of the day.

Other attractions planned include food stalls providing hot and cold drinks, baguettes and sandwiches, as well as a “hog roast”. There will be a jazz band and model electric cars in addition to the on-site attractions of go-karting (for adults and children) and the off-road 4x4 experience.

Tickets in advance are available from the club office on 01225 709009 Monday to Friday 10-4 at £6 per person (£8 for adults on the day).
Phil

M roadster S54

I have Cruise routes planned

Post by Phil »

Fast and /or scenic.
Just need helpers
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Looks like we have half a dozen or so already (who aren't tied up elsewhere). I'm interested in all four of the technical sessions.

Tim
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Phil, If I can I will assist you,
1) if I'm up
2) not thrasing the R/C group
Phooto

BMW convertible

Post by Phooto »

Are these technical seminars 'sit in a room' type things, or 'gather round a car and I'll show you' format?
Simon Taylor
phooto
Bryn
Z Register member

BMW convertible

Post by Bryn »

Does anybody know of any timings for this event? I have managed to blag the wife into letting my attend but as i have a wedding to attend on Saturday and a family excursion to Denmark on Monday, i will have to travel from "up north" on Sunday morning and timings would be helpful for planning. :rtm:
Ian M
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Gaydon 2004

Post by Ian M »

I have finally convinced my parents that it would be a good idea to have my kids for the night on the 21st of August so me and her indoors can make it to Gaydon on the 22nd :D . I made it in the Z1 last year cos the weather was so good, lets hope the weather is lucky for us again this year. See you all there !
Madeira Jon

BMW convertible

Post by Madeira Jon »

Bryn, the event is continuous with lots of thing happening at the same time. Groups try to get there before 10am. So it doesn't matter what time you arrive (earliest of course if possible) you'll find the Scottish Group and the Z group there. Bring some grub as last year the scran at the site was YUUUUCCCCKKKKK!
Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Gaydon is hotting up with close of 40 trade stands now going to be there which is a vast improvement on last year. Coupled with the additional activities and the Z runouts, it should be a really good event.

Here's a link to the overall site layout: http://www.zroadster.net/gaydon-siteplan.gif

I'm told the Z circle is 30 metres across and has a useable diameter of 70 metres. Accordingly we should be able to get 35 cars around the circle (tight parking), plus some form of inner parking which might take another 8 cars.

As we are the only group planning runouts, the grassed runout assembly area is also 'ours' so I'm planning to 'bag' this the night before with portable flagpoles. Don't know yet where the Z Register banner could go.

We need to give some thought as to how we organise parking. I'm assuming we want to try to get the cars in some form of grouping (Z1s, Z3s, MRs, MCs, Z4s, Z8s).

The register display parking will need to be carefully marshalled at least at the start of the day, so it's important that at least two or three people are on site early. I'm planning to arrive the afternoon before to do setup. If anyone is available to help on Saturday afternoon I can sort/fund an overnight B&B. Who else can be there early--as close as possible to 8:00am on Sunday?

Tim
Simmer
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by Simmer »

Tim,

I'm available all weekend so will be attending, may not cruise though. Would be more than happy to come up Saturday to help, just let me know.

Cheers
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Gaydon

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Will be helpful to know approx time of starting outbound AM cruise ??

How many owners intending to cruise, Also wish to do the Show n Shine??
Please Advise .
safetyfast
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Apology for absence!

Post by Alfie »

Sounds like a great day and a top social.
Sorry, we'd love to be there, but we'll be 'En vacance dans la France' at that time.....no, not in the Zed unfortunately.

Hope you all enjoy the doo, and please post some pics of those sparkling Zeds.

Cheers!
Alfie.
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Will be helpful to know approx time of starting outbound AM cruise

I need to coordinate with Phil, but each run will probably take about 40 mins. So long as we have enought volunteer drive leaders, as soon as we get enough cars together (six to eight), we'll fire off a mini cruise. The first will do the route clockwise, the next anticlockwise, and so forth. In this way the groups will criss-cross en-route. The afternoon route will be different from the morning one.

It would be helpful to know the overall timings of other things that are happening such as the technical sessions, radio controlled racing, etc.

Tim
Phil

M roadster S54

Gaydon Cruises

Post by Phil »

The first Marise's Monday Midland Meander took place today without Marise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 cars turned up and we did the 2 Gaydon cruises with lunch in the middle, of course.
I suggest 10.30 am and 2.00pm for the drives which will take an hour each -approx. They are 32 miles long so if organisation is tight and the group dont get lost it will be less than 60 mins. but I would suggest aiming at 60mins for scheduling purposes.
They are both scenic and also have some quick bits for good measure.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
garyw

Porsche

mmmm

Post by garyw »

I joined Phil and Tom today on the new Monday M's to run through the cruise for the BMW day at Gaydon, those of you going are in for a treat.
Some Great roads and hills including some of my favourite ones.
Traffic at some points was heavy (see photo's) other times nothing around.
The weather was amazing and I forgot my cap, so a whole bottle of aftersun required this evening. It also put some more miles into the tyres.
Thanks Phil and keep us posted about the next monday meeting (business of cause.)

Garyw
Attachments
Busy at some points!!
Busy at some points!!
mmmm traffic.jpg (68.09 KiB) Viewed 6513 times
open roads and wonderful scenery
open roads and wonderful scenery
mmmm open roads.jpg (75.65 KiB) Viewed 6513 times
the three break for lunch
the three break for lunch
mmm1.jpg (98.46 KiB) Viewed 6513 times
NorwegianBlue
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by NorwegianBlue »

Just booked my ticket with the BMWCC and entered the Show'n'Shine. I'm not sure just how much of a shine ewe'll get on those sheep though.

Not sure who's organizing things for the Z'ds but I could be there relatively early to give a hand if necessary.
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Calling All Gaydon Doers !!!!!!

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Neil, offer of help is great,Thanks and a few others would be fine.

Around the 08-00 Am would a treat, gives anyone in the Show n shine , a chance to marshall and freshen up the makeup before judge,s do the Biz. :rtm:
safetyfast
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Will be there Saturday afternoon, My car will be forming part of the south east display but should be able to extract it to lead at least 1 run. Look forward to seeing everyone up there.
Madeira Jon

BMW convertible

Post by Madeira Jon »

Last year, the Zeds had a line up alongside the entrance route.
Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
Big Mr P
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by Big Mr P »

Got my wrist bands I'll be there.

I was also sent an entry to show and shine, I suppose I could give it another polish but I'm not sure if they mark you down for mods.

Looking at the sight layout I am a little confused as to where to park. Is it with the; Show and Shine, the M Register, the Convertibles, the Modifieds or the Zeds.

What are the rest of you guys doing?
Last edited by Big Mr P on Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Graham,
Something for the weekend!!!
JAY
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Gaydon

Post by JAY »

Since I still have no zed yet :(

would it be possible for me to go shotgun with someone???

Regards,

Jay.
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Jay should have a spare seat for at least one of the runs, so no problem if you want to come with me. Sorry you have not got yourself sorted with a new Z yet. Will be good to see you all the same though.
JAY
Z Register member

M roadster S54

gaydon

Post by JAY »

Cheers for that Tony, It'll be nice to see you again plus the rest of the Zed Cru that will be there.

Thing is, I was wondering if anyone will be passing near to the M4 J17 as I would need a lift .

I was hoping to get a new s54 ///M by now, I keep an eye on the BMW and autotrader web sites daily, I'm just waiting for the right one. (colour combo/mileage/)
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Sorry Jay cant help on the pick up as im going up saturday and staying overnight. look forward to seeing you sunday though.
BartS
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

drive to Gaydon / meet up

Post by BartS »

Last year, we met up with Larri/Giles in Bicester, before heading of to Gaydon on the M40

Anyone fancy to do the same this year?
Would like to join Phil's first run out at 10:30 so want to be in Gaydon at 10am.
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

Sorry if this sounds like a daft question from a novice BM owner but can you just turn up on the day and get entry for a nose around without pre booking a ticket?
Cheers Dave
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Yes

Post by stu »

just slightly more expensive.
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Gaydon R/C Grand Prix

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

:( Little interest shown in R/C driving Comp.I did promise a prize for best static model, so if min 5 examples entered, will honour.
safetyfast
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Ok guys - who's actually going then, Me, Larri, Tony C, John Safe, Tim?, Stu, Nero?, Maidera?

Be nice to know who to look out for (and who to avoid :wink: :lol: )
Phooto

BMW convertible

Post by Phooto »

I'll be there, but in the Touring, can't fit all the cameras in the Z...
Simon Taylor
phooto
Bryn
Z Register member

BMW convertible

Post by Bryn »

I will be there:-) Last time i had coffee with Maderia he said he was going down on the Saturday with the Scottish region.

See you all there :-)
BartS
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BartS »

we'll be there as well:
BartS
TheLovelySarah!!!

Giles, are we meeting up for the drive up again or do we see you at Gaydon?

we be trying to make it intime for the 1030 Phil Run out cruize
Big Mr P
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by Big Mr P »

Giles wrote:Ok guys - who's actually going then, Me, Larri, Tony C, John Safe, Tim?, Stu, Nero?, Maidera?

Me and Amanda will be there somewhere
Graham,
Something for the weekend!!!
NorwegianBlue
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by NorwegianBlue »

So who's going???? Stick you hands up guys and be counted.
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

Giles wrote:Ok guys - who's actually going then, Me, Larri, Tony C, John Safe, Tim?, Stu, Nero?, Maidera?

Madeira Jon and I will be there, as part of the Scottish Region.
Hopefully we'll meet up with you at some point in the day :D
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

I should be there on Sunday - driving down from Wirral.
Anything I should know ?
Presume I follow the signs, pay the entrance fee and they tell me where to park, or should I tell them where I want to park ?
Will I be able to enter show and shine on the day - depends on weather on way down from the Wirral.
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

I suspect you should add Phil (as hes leading the drive outs) Robin said he was going too.