Surprise!!!

Photos and reports from past events
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Surprise!!!

Post by Fender2004 »

I went to my local dealers the other day to purchase a new oil filter for my 2.8 Z3.
When ordering I asked if the large 'O' ring was included, yes came the reply, is there also the 2 small 'O' rings also included, again yes came the reply, and finally I asked is there a crush washer for the sump nut again yes was the reply. :D
The cost was £7.73 plus vat of course, but even so I thought it was well worth it. Maybe the dealers have been listening to us about all the 'O' rings etc you need when you change your oil.
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

I don't think I've ever had a filter from BMW that hasn't come with them... are you sure your dealer hasn't been swiping your 'rings?!? :lol:
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

they do seem inconsistent, my last OEM filter came with the small ones but no big one or crush washer... hmm
I used to have a '97 2.8 Z3 50k FOR SALE £4699 Shorter 'M' Cup Sport gear knob,M Steering wheel, Alpine / Infinity audio, 18" Alpina style wheels, Clear indicators all round, cold air feed and modified airbox. Miss April in the '09 Calendar.
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It depends what part number you order - for some models the oil filter part number includes the o-rings and on others it doesn't. You need to check RealOEM/BMWFans for your EXACT model/engine.

For my M44 1.9, part #2 is the filter element plus 1 large and 2 small o-rings:
Lubrication system-Oil filter - BMW parts catalog

For a 2.8 of the same date as mine, part #2 only includes the filter element and the large o-ring - the small o-rings are part #5:

Lubrication system-Oil filter - BMW parts catalog

I don't know if the filter elements are interchangeable, as the part numbers will be different, mainly down to what o-rings come with it, but it does lead me to question whether the correct part has been ordered. BMW are very exact about what a particular part number contains, but they do seem to be a bit inconsistent about which o-rings they include with various filters.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc