Chrome extension tailpipes

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z4
T48 TRE

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Chrome extension tailpipes

Post by T48 TRE »

Anyone bought and fitted the tailpipe extensions. I would be interested to know how you got them on. The BMW supplied pair have 4 ribs round the inside which I suppose are to compress the existing tailpipe, then lock on with a small bolt. However i found it impossible to get them on, only 2 sides were sliding correctly and the tail pipe is too strong to compress.
Any theories.
Thanks
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

Hi

I got mine on (eventually) but they were incredibly tight - definatly no reason for the locking screw!

I lubed the tailpipe and with a block of wood to protect them wacked each on with a hammer.

I could not come up with any other solution. They are on now and look great....they will just have to be cut off if they ever need removing.
I used to have a '97 2.8 Z3 50k FOR SALE £4699 Shorter 'M' Cup Sport gear knob,M Steering wheel, Alpine / Infinity audio, 18" Alpina style wheels, Clear indicators all round, cold air feed and modified airbox. Miss April in the '09 Calendar.
ImageImage
mc.d

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by mc.d »

Thx Rob13
Incredibly tight they are, Even tried heating the extentions with boiling water b4 hand.Gave up in the end :( but will try again,i would not want to miss with the hammer!! or the next stop is the rear valance.
What made me laugh is the BM instructions, "mount the trim by pressing or knocking on" :?

MD
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

The ones on my Z3 2.8 were very tight almost to the point i thought they couldn't possibly fit. They had to be knocked on in the end with a piece of wood and mallet ,there was absolutely no other way to get them on,but with a little tapping they did go on without any major problem.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

AntMan wrote:The ones on my Z3 2.8 were very tight almost to the point i thought they couldn't possibly fit. They had to be knocked on in the end with a piece of wood and mallet ,there was absolutely no other way to get them on,but with a little tapping they did go on without any major problem.
They do fit VERY tightly, and this is the correct procedure for getting them on
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

Use WD40 or similar thin oil though - my first I just hit on and the resistance was enough to 'mushroom' the end a little with the wood, but the second with the WD40 went on far easier.
I used to have a '97 2.8 Z3 50k FOR SALE £4699 Shorter 'M' Cup Sport gear knob,M Steering wheel, Alpine / Infinity audio, 18" Alpina style wheels, Clear indicators all round, cold air feed and modified airbox. Miss April in the '09 Calendar.
ImageImage
mc.d

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by mc.d »

Thanks to you all, i shall now attempt to fit them at the weekend.
:)
md
mc.d

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by mc.d »

Hi all, Just an update to let you know i finally got the chrome bits fitted :)
Used a bit of easing oil and big bit of timber along with the hammer once they started they kept going.One of the nuts for the little screw inside the tailpipe extention did not clear the exhaust pipe as is was knocked on and eventually broke off :shock: but i do not think thats going to be a problem as they fit that tight it will take an angle grinder to remove them.

md