You just go off the dual carriageway and then back on......

Discussions on better road driving, advanced courses and the like
davieb

M coupe S50

You just go off the dual carriageway and then back on......

Post by davieb »

An interesting bit of signage, on the A380 at Newton Abbot heading for Torquay. There is a small village called Kingskerswell between Newton Abbot and Torquay.

The 380 is dualled, but it goes down to a single carriageway flyover at the (Penn Inn) roundabout/junction for Newton Abbot, then it goes back to dualled after, with the on-slip becoming the inside lane.

The signage for Kingskerswell directs you off the dual carriageway at the junction. When you get to the roundabout, the signs take you back onto the dual carriageway. So - I contacted Devon County Council and asked if this was not a bit silly. Here's what they came back with:

The reason for directing traffic for Kingskerswell through the Penn Inn roundabout is due to the short distance between the Penn Inn flyover and the exit slip-road for the Aller Junction (to Kingskerswell.) Because this distance is unavoidably shorter than the minimum standard advised in current national guidance, it is not considered to give adequate distance for drivers to safely change lanes before making a decision to exit to Kingskerswell.

The distance is half a mile! Is that not sufficient, for most drivers to change lanes?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: You just go off the dual carriageway and then back on......

Post by Del »

Probably an EU health and safety directive :D
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

If I am on a motorway looking to leave at an exit, I'll begin the 'lane shuffle' at the half-mile marker. Usually I'll find I am still not in lane one for a quarter of the remaining distance, but never have I been caught out by the time the exit arrives - by some margin. A half-mile is plenty of distance for even the most cautious driver to make the transition from (in the case of M40 J2) lane four to the nearside ready to leave. Most Audi and BMW drivers seem to be able to do it at the 100 metre marker and with no indication! Of course at J6 on the M6 (Gravelly Hill or Spaghetti Junction) it is a local sport to close up in lane one to force late lane changers to continue on the motorway. But that's Birmingham... :head:
Z3crazy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Z3crazy »

motco wrote: Tue 07 Nov, 2017 07:43 Of course at J6 on the M6 (Gravelly Hill or Spaghetti Junction) it is a local sport to close up in lane one to force late lane changers to continue on the motorway. But that's Birmingham... :head:
I'm from Birmingham and saw Spagehtti Junction being built. People have been doing that since it opened.

I mean, what else is there to do !!! And in some cases it's a 17 mile round trip before they can have another go at the exit. Brummies do have a sense of humour, and i'm proud to be Brummie, born and bred (i've even got a coffee mug to prove it )

So foreigners to Birmingham, beware :twisted:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Z3 1.9 2000, Cosmos Schwartz
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Z3crazy wrote: Tue 07 Nov, 2017 09:46
motco wrote: Tue 07 Nov, 2017 07:43 Of course at J6 on the M6 (Gravelly Hill or Spaghetti Junction) it is a local sport to close up in lane one to force late lane changers to continue on the motorway. But that's Birmingham... :head:
I'm from Birmingham and saw Spagehtti Junction being built. People have been doing that since it opened.

I mean, what else is there to do !!! And in some cases it's a 17 mile round trip before they can have another go at the exit. Brummies do have a sense of humour, and i'm proud to be Brummie, born and bred (i've even got a coffee mug to prove it )

I saw it too. I used to work for GKN from 1967 to 1974 and often went to the GKN Sankey works at Bilston and to the Group Tech Centre in Wolverhampton. I almost began to understand Black Country English! One apprentice to another: "Wot yow doeen owr keed?" :D
Z3crazy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Z3crazy »

And the old ICI buildings in Witton still in their war-time camoflage colours in the seventies......... And the old, old, New Street Station and steam trains....

Nurse !!!! get my pills :(
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Z3 1.9 2000, Cosmos Schwartz
vzh7gk
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by vzh7gk »

Z3crazy wrote: Tue 07 Nov, 2017 09:46
I mean, what else is there to do !!!
Well, there's plenty of good Balti restaurants to choose from instead? :)
Maybe not as much fun though :lol:
Graham (G4FUJ)
Prescott marshal and Hill Controller
Found another Z3 so back here after a long break :) 1999 1.9, Palmetto Green
1 Morgan 4/4 (selling in Spring) and a Land Rover 90 (keeping forever)