tyres choice

Discussions on better road driving, advanced courses and the like
snatch

M roadster S50

tyres choice

Post by snatch »

Just thought I'd share this with everyone.
I have just changed all four tyres ready for summer, only this time I've dropped Pirelli's and gone to falken all round.
From the short drive I have had I can confirm that the car is now as it should be.
The tyres have transformed the car = I'm obviously following up from a previous thread and can confirm it worked for me.
For those that are interested i will post photo's shortly of the winter transformation. :wink:
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: tyres choice

Post by Ian_C »

snatch wrote: For those that are interested i will post photo's shortly of the winter transformation. :wink:
Just for the record... I'm interested! :D
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
PERRIN Z3M

M roadster S50

Post by PERRIN Z3M »

I am in the process of changing pirelli's off of my wifes car and was thinking of the Falken 452's, what have you found to be the benefits of the falkens over the pirelli's.

steve
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

The car just drives as it should = nothing seems to upset it + i live along the countries bumpiest lane and it used to drive me insane weaving and jumping all over the road.
but now it just drives without even shaking its head atall, right up to 180 :twisted:
oops i may of hit the wrong first digit then :wink:
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

the falken 452's are cracking tyres. (just read other threads on here)
I know what you mean about the cars behaviour compared to pirelli's. the car feels more planted in corners, less skittish, less tail end wag, a great tyre for the price. It will take a pretty special tyre to make me change from these.
zclimber

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by zclimber »

I have heard differing information on the Falkens. Some say that they are budget tyres, others say they are not. Any thoughts..... i.e. if I can afford more, is there something better out there? And does the extra cost just give longer life? or will it be a longer life greater than the increased cost, i.e. does the extra life more than make up for the increased cost?
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Goodyear Eagle F1's. I've had a disasterous experience with budget tyres on a Z (needless to say its now part of a scrap heap) so I've not scrimped on tyre choice since. I've had both GSD3 and asymmetrics, and I have no intention of changing brands anytime soon, they grip and grip and then some. I personally prefer the asymmetrics. (Review posted in April).
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Ballie

M roadster S50

Post by Ballie »

Toyo Proxes T1-Rs have never done me any harm. Excellent grip in the wet aswell.

Theres lots of reviews on the net. :-)
Image Proud to be British!
dario

blank.gif

Post by dario »

Bad Tyres, Bad tyres! you dont know bad tyres untill you have used Bridgstone REO50 RUN FLAT TYRES.......

they are hideous tyres!

(ps all ment tounge in cheek)
MarkOliver

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by MarkOliver »

I have just bought a set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's, I will let you know what they are like. they seem to have quite good reviews
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

I have got continental tyres on mine they seem fine but a little dear (£150 each) :bawl:
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

I have got continental tyres on mine they seem fine but a little dear (£150 each) :bawl:
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

I had 452's on the rear when i brought the Zed having changed the wheels and inherited the tires that came with them,i wouldn't think twice about going back to the falkens when renewal time comes good price and a quality tyre in my opinion.
Dr. Wilson

Z4 M roadster

Post by Dr. Wilson »

I recently added a set of Micehelin Pilot Sport 2's. Was recommended over the F1's as they perform without wearing too fast. Havent looked back. :arrow:

Falken

Post by Guest »

I first fitted Falken FK-451 to my 2.8 back in 2001, when the original (and very average) Michelin Pilot Sports wore out.

Lots of well-meaning people told me that it was unwise to fit 'budget' tyres to a powerful RWD car, but after eight years I still cannot see where the folly is!

I have just fitted my second set of FK-452, and like others find that they just grip and grip, with no vices in low temperatures, rain, or snow. I paid £340 (in 17 inch sizes) at Protyres of Plymouth.

I have usually had about 20000 rear and 30000 front, running at 2.3 bar F & R, but since fitting a Butt Stut and Body Brace rear life has increased by about 25% and the rears now wear absolutuely evenly, instead of the usual increased wear on the inner half of the tread.

Perhaps the tyre snobs would be happier with Falken if they increased the prices . . .

We have also used Falken on our Golf TDI, with has 275 lb-ft going through the front tyres - more than an M3 - which likewise just has bags of grip and no vices.
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

i have the falken 452 all round,they seem to do their job,no fuss,
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Dr. Wilson wrote:I recently added a set of Micehelin Pilot Sport 2's. Was recommended over the F1's as they perform without wearing too fast. Havent looked back. :arrow:
Would agree, I have PS2's on the Zed and Runflats on the 1 Series and found them to be the best compromise for wear, wet and dry grip, they seem to last and last, downside is theyre pricey :(

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Eagle F1's looks the best though :D
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

What mileage are you seeing from the PS2's? I know it depends upon the style of driving used but I was just curious. :)
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

Jamezee wrote:I have got continental tyres on mine they seem fine but a little dear (£150 each) :bawl:
Jamezee: I use Continental Contisport 3 on mine: 225/45 R17 cost £90 fitted where I go! Dunno if it'd be worth the drive but Jeffries Tyres in Bromsgrove do them for £90. Nearly died when I asked around for other quotes stuff like £150 to £200 each!
Zee 3

Z3 roadster 2.8

tyres

Post by Zee 3 »

The trouble when looking for tyres is the shear choice and the variation in price for the same brand and quality.I set a buget of £500 for a set fitted it seams alot, but with 190 bhp there the only thing keeping you on the road. In the end I settled on Continental contact sport 3 225/45-245/40 17" W 91 and have been very pleased, very quite ,comfortable ride and an extra 2mpg. It's not even the amount you would spend on Autoglim in a year, well nearly!
Mouldy

Not specified

Re: Falken

Post by Mouldy »

Mike Fishwick wrote: Perhaps the tyre snobs would be happier with Falken if they increased the prices . . .
When I bought my Falken 452s a couple of months ago, I paid under £300 for the set (225/45 17s front and 245/40 17s rear) from Gary at Wootton Tyre and Exhaust in Northampton. I would normally have gone for a better known brand, but having read the positive comments on the Forum, I decided to give them a try.

I am well satisfied with them and find it hard to believe that spending an extra £200 for a set of Contis, Goodyears or Michelin would result in any significant improvement.

On a recent weekend trip to Snowdonia, I experienced road conditions ranging from dry to very wet and at no time did I have any loss of confidence in the tyres or the roadholding they offered.

As Mike Fishwick wrote in an earlier post 'perhaps the tyre snobs would be happier if Falken increased the prices.....'

By my calculations, the £200 saved on the cost of the tyres will buy me sufficient 98 RON for about 1300 miles of enjoyment in the Zed, which is fine by me! :D :D :D

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour