Z4m questions..... quite a few

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives
manc5

Z4 M coupe

Z4m questions..... quite a few

Post by manc5 »

Ok..
i am only 6 days and 600 miles into the new motor.. no pics yet due to weather / darkness and general time constraints and the fact it is filthy now... but i have a few questions ..

clunking noise when i brake or pull away after releasing brakes - strange as it sound like it comes from under the passenger seat.. not just on that hill brake hold gizzmo.... any ideas ?

sport switch - dealer told me not to use untill after the 1200 mile servce... but i keep looking at it all eagerly.. is it worth the wait ?

rattly speaker - passenger rear speaker (one of em) rattles under bass load.. i have hi fi sys prof dsp and expected better quality speakers... ???

MPG - not driving too spirited at the mo, trying to run the car in as advised "by the book".. getting 22.7 mixed motorway / urban (split 70% / 30%) which i feel is pretty good as i have memories of my s50 z3mcoupe returning about 19 (obviously with no econometer or computer aided advice, just pure fuel in miles out calculation) what are other z4m coupe and roadster drivers getting ?

Auto headlights - seem to think it is dark in blinding bright conditions... seem to be always on.. My '04 5 series did this and the dealer adjusted some sensitivity setting that made em basically never come on auto unless it was pitch black..... anyone had changes made ?

Twitchy in the wet - isn't it ... which is actually quite good fun ?

Clunky gearchange - into fourth is very notchy, or is it just my driving ?

And general point -

Whoa.. don't you feel real close to the back when a range rover sits behind you.... i don't remember getting the same foreboding feeling in the z3mcoupe ?

Any answers / views appreciated

Cheers
David
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

clunking noise when i brake or pull away after releasing brakes - not on mine - that doesn't sound right

sport switch - mine hasn't been off since the service

rattly speaker - I have the same setup - no rattles from the speakers for me though

MPG - 18 - 19 - see my note about the sports button and how I generally drive

Auto headlights - same here - but it doesn't bother me too much

Twitchy in the wet - Heh Heh Heh - yes indeedee

Clunky gearchange - Mine has loosened over time and is now a lot better
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

keep the sport switch off just now, the car is delivered with mineral oil which is used in the running in period for the engine, fully synthetic is put in at the 1200 service
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
manc5

Z4 M coupe

Post by manc5 »

Ok...

I am 1900 miles in, had service at 1400 miles... update -

clunking noise when i brake or pull away after releasing brakes - sticky handbrake.. new spring on order. (i think it is a release spring (?) )

sport switch - wow.... loving that little toy really sharpens up that throttle.. glad i waited until after the service ! :devil:

rattly speaker - select less bass.... easy fix... seriously .. new one being fitted with handbrake release spring after xmas

MPG - got as high as 23.7 before the service... since i discovered the dark side (sports switch) that is plummeting.. down to 20 so far..

Auto headlights - ignoring this one.. pointless to mess with it..

Twitchy in the wet - liking that too.. feels like the old s50 but easier to gather back in when it drifts... car needs better tyres, don't rate these continental's at all... will fit mich's when these are done...

Clunky gearchange - Has loosened up and feels good now.. in fact very good.

oh.. did i mention the sports switch.... and the noise.. oh that is addictive...

Only new thing to work out is why the bluetooth kit is so crap.. put a new handset on it because i thought it might be that.. but according to the people i ring it still sounds pants..... i have 2 phones a Sony ericcson w800i and a k750i and both are as bad as each other.. couple that to the fact that at any speed over about 60 you can't hear it and it feels like that option is a complete waste of money....
:mrgreen:
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Pathetic Non existant quality control

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Congrats on your purchase.Just remind me was it £43k you paid for this defective car? Dont the super dealers do Any PDS anymore--you should have rejected it as unfit for use. :head:
safetyfast