Tyre clearance

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives
senwar

Z4 M roadster

Tyre clearance

Post by senwar »

I'm a bit unsure/concerned about the tyre clearance on my motor.

After a couple of weeks, I scuffed the underside of my spoile. notheing major but annoyingly seemed to knock a grommet out of the inside of the spoiler and I had to have this looked at. The reason I noticed this is because the clearance on the right hand side of the drivers wheel - well, I couldn't run my hand down the tyre without catching my hand on the inner wing - was not the same on the other side.

So a trip to Sytner, brackets replaced, and the clearance sorted. Could get my hand down fine.

However, went to the car today, and just gave it another try and its the same again, cannot run my hand fully down the tyre. It also seems the same on the passenger side, and that was also fine before. Now I have fairly small hands so this is concerning me a bit.

Can anyone else check and see if there's are the same? Or even measure the gap between edge of trye and the wing?

I'm replacing my wheels on Saturday and want to ensure I cover this before BMW can try and blame the new wheels!
All Pina

Z4 M coupe

Post by All Pina »

Senwar - just tried this, ableit with CSLs on (but rolling radius near identical). I can just about get my medium sized hand inbetween front edge of wheel and wheel arch say from 12oclock position of wheel to 3o'clock when looking at off side front. I would say that there is around a 5cm gap on this quarter of the wheel.

Hope this hleps

AP
senwar

Z4 M roadster

Post by senwar »

All Pina wrote:Senwar - just tried this, ableit with CSLs on (but rolling radius near identical). I can just about get my medium sized hand inbetween front edge of wheel and wheel arch say from 12oclock position of wheel to 3o'clock when looking at off side front. I would say that there is around a 5cm gap on this quarter of the wheel.

Hope this hleps

AP
Thanks mate.

I can get mine in OK at the top, but at the 3 o'clock position the top of my hand touches the wheel arch. I'll check the measurements
PeteH

Z4 M roadster

Post by PeteH »

senwar wrote:
All Pina wrote:Senwar - just tried this, ableit with CSLs on (but rolling radius near identical). I can just about get my medium sized hand inbetween front edge of wheel and wheel arch say from 12oclock position of wheel to 3o'clock when looking at off side front. I would say that there is around a 5cm gap on this quarter of the wheel.

Hope this hleps

AP
Thanks mate.

I can get mine in OK at the top, but at the 3 o'clock position the top of my hand touches the wheel arch. I'll check the measurements
Hi Senwar,

I seem to recall a post on another forum about the same problem. I will look it out and PM you the link..... just going to check those SatNav addresses for you as well.

Cheers,

Pete.
PeteH

Z4 M roadster

Post by PeteH »

Just checked mine and there is a 5cm gap on the drivers side and 4.5cm on the passenger side.

Is your car parked straight and level when you are checking the gaps? (sorry if this sounds obvious!)
senwar

Z4 M roadster

Post by senwar »

The car is parked on my driveway, and 'appears' to be straight and level. I can't decide if the drivers wheel sticks out more than the passenger, or if its all in my mind!

I get the same measurements as you Pete roughly although the opposite way round, 4.5 driver & 5 passenger

Might get Sytner to check it out before I have the wheels fitted.