Slightly odd....?

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives
The Colonel

Z4 M roadster

Slightly odd....?

Post by The Colonel »

Nice day last Sunday. Went out for a bit of a top down drive. B roads for the most part, so no high speeds. After an hour or so stopped at a pub for some some bangers, mash and onion gravy washed down with some fizzy pop, returned to car to find rear near-side tyre partially deflated (down about half).

It was fine when I took the car out in the morning. Valve cap was intact, but there was some evidence of wear on the side wall so it must have deflated during the earlier run (though the car in no way behaved oddly).

So far so normal (for what might seem to be a regular puncture).

Pumped it back up and took a steady drive home. Stopped a couple of times en-route to check, and all OK. 72 hours later...it's still OK.

I'm getting the tyre and rim checked out, but has anyone ever experienced such a thing before? Not necessarily on a Z, or BMW, but on any car?????

Will report back any worthwhile news.
jhb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jhb1 »

Had the same problem a couple of months ago. Turned out it was a problem with the rim. Cost pennies to sort. Much cheaper than a new tyre.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Had the same thing last night, tyre pressure warning light flashed a few times so I reset it, flashed again, reset and went in the house for an hour then came out and the tyre was flat. Screw in the tyre, left it in,pumped the tyre and this morning it's fine :roll: Must be the Ultraseal that sealed it :)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Have you ruled out jealous tossers? They might be getting cleverer if they are replacing the valve caps now...... just a thought. :wink:

Only sure fire way to see if it is still losing air is to take the wheel off and submerse it in water and look and see if there are any bubbles - no matter how slowly they appear to be coming out.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
The Colonel

Z4 M roadster

Post by The Colonel »

Robert T wrote:Have you ruled out jealous tossers? They might be getting cleverer if they are replacing the valve caps now...... just a thought.
Definately not for mine. It's parked in the garage, was OK when I left, and on discovering it flatish, found wear in the tyre wall, so must have happened when moving (unless I had a surfing hoodiechav on board!).

jhb1 - I'll get the rim looked at, but due to the wear on the tyre wall I think I'll end up getting the tyre changed. It isn't excessive (I've seen worse on other cars!), and if it was only me I probably would let it go but if the missus was driving it and it gave out, I'd never forgive myself and/or never hear the last of it, depending on the consequences and seriousness of the resulting blow out. :lol:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The Colonel wrote:Definately not for mine. It's parked in the garage, was OK when I left, and on discovering it flatish, found wear in the tyre wall, so must have happened when moving (unless I had a surfing hoodiechav on board!).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry misunderstood your post. I took it to mean the tyre had gone down whilst you were in the pub. In which case in need only have been a passing chav in need of the taste of stale air. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc